RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

The news from Zimbabwe

Old 10-24-2003, 12:36 PM

Yes, well, when the electricity's off, the phone doesn't work ( like ours hasn't for the last week) and there's no fuel around, you have to be creative!!!

PS - Chris - did you see the piece in the Daily Telegraph on Monday? I gather we made it into the editorial columns ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2003, 09:15 AM

International fame at last Sam ! How do you deal with these lunatics even compromise doesnt seem to have any long term effect . Even when they take the farms over they havent the faintest idea how to run them and like kids with broken toys thay want a replacement.
Reminds me of a friend of mine who was sent to a Nigerian engineering project in the 1960's. He had to initiate a training program to show the labourers how to use a wheelbarrow, on his arrival they had been balancing them on their heads!

Telegraph Leader
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2003, 09:27 AM

A friend of mine went on a trip to some remote areas of Peru. The farmers still threshed grain by laying it on the ground and driving horses over it in a circle. With the help of some foreign aid, they were able to buy a tractor, which, you guessed it, they drove around in circles over the grain!

Is it possible that our technological "improvements" are not as intuitive as we think they are.

By the way, congrats to you and your husband, Sam. I'm sure your new addition will be a wonderful (and welcome) diversion from your other troubles.

Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2003, 10:10 AM

Thanks Margaret! Thank goodness my daughters are old enough now to help with the nappy changing! Not my favourite job.

When we were still on the farm, I was amused to see that the Chinamasas had employed a woman to carry huge buckets of water on her head all the way from the dam to the seedbeds - about 300 yards - to irrigate the seedlings, despite the fact that they had already appropriated all our irrigation pipes and pumps. Old habits obviously die hard.

Sam
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2003, 03:16 AM

Just out of interest Sam does Harare have a water system provided by underground wells? I suppose reservioirs arent practical in a hot climate. I suppose a lot of the infrastructure of the country dates from pre independance.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2003, 11:02 PM

I would say that ALL the infrastructure dates from before 1980 ... Bob loves to bash the whites, but he enjoyed inheriting what they brought to the country ...

Just about all Harare's water comes from reservoirs, but sensible people living there drill boreholes in their gardens, just in case the municipal supply runs out - which is exactly what is happening at the moment - not because the water's not there, but because the government have run out of money to pump and distribute it.

A capital city with no water is a scary prospect ...

Sam
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2003, 03:54 AM

Ok on the water sources Sam, theres still plenty of water in the UK but the quality especially from underground sources is dropping all the time. Have to send raiding parties north of the border and carry off Loch Lomond to its rightful position in Lancashire!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2003, 12:40 PM

You'd certainly inherit a profitable little tourism industry to go with it - but I'm not sure the song "I'll take the high road" would sound the same with the words "and I'll get tae Manchester before ye!"

Underground water here is definitely dodgy if the water course happens to run under a highly populated area. You can imagine the bugs that turn up in a water sample ...

Sam
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2003, 02:02 PM

This is a great thread, read the whole thing the other day and it stayed with me. I was hoping the whole time, checking the dates as I went, there would be a happy ending--but I guess there are no real endings in real life. The worst part, was your camera being stolen, Sam. That bothered me. Did you get another camera? I certainly hope so. I know it's silly, even trivial, compared to everything else, but dammit--they STOLE your CAMERA. It's just those early pictures of your farm, then everything happening, I say you need to document this evil nonsense with pictures.

So much greed, amazing how greed drives people to destroy so much and for what? We all have so little time on earth as it is, greed can be so destructive and misplaced.

Anyway keep writing really really really really long posts here and don't worry about it, because it's great to read. It made me wish I could do something. I guess all I can do is pray like everybody else.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2003, 02:52 PM

You read the whole thread!! That's commendable. We are all concerned about Sam and her family and like you, we hope for a happy ending.

I am a little concerned about you though. Reading this thread is one thing, but if I find that you've been reading all of Chris's "regards from the UK" I'll have to call the authorities there in Gary and have them prepare a special room for you.

Margaret
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon