RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

The news from Zimbabwe

Old 08-28-2004, 11:58 AM

Hello Sam,

Glad to see your still hanging in there, whats the safari angle?

I've just got back from the comedy fringe in Edinburgh with it's usual eccentricities, managed a quick trip to Mary Queen of Scots castle on the island in Loch Leven. I had missed the last ferry so I hired two boatmen to row me across and had the island to myself for an hour. The return in the gloaming was fantastic, the lake and sky merging in a sort of aquatic white out. The only downside being the 'wee nasties' feasting on English blood!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Leven 1.jpg (22.2 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2004, 01:01 AM

Great shot, Chris - definitely worth all the midge bites! The last time I went to that castle (2 years ago) we got attacked by bees, so the Loch Leven noo-noos aren't too selective ... BTW, that's about 8 miles from where I come from. Got quite homesick looking at that pic, if the truth be known!

The safari operation we're running is a trophy-hunting thing (very non-PC), catering to serious adrenaline-junkies. Buffalo hunts are our main speciality. But politics affects absolutely everything in this country these days and they're now trying to "nationalise" all the private game reserves, so we don't know how long it'll be before the safari industry goes the same way as agriculture ...

Sam
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2004, 02:19 AM

Ok on the safari business and Mugabe wanting a finger, sorry the whole pie! I've seen water buffalo on a reserve here and was told by their keeper that they were far more dangerous than any of the big cats. I saw some footage of a group of buffalo defending their calves against lions and understood what he meant, Buffs 2 Lions 0!

I've passed the loch many times on the M90 and thought of visiting the island, thank God there high ground between it and the sprawl of Glenrothes.

I'm afraid that with the endless bad news from the Middle East Zimbabwe has fallen out of the news here for the moment for which Mugabe is probably not unhappy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2004, 04:03 AM

Don't know much about water buffalo - what we get here is the Cape Buffalo, a very daunting opponent if you get on the wrong side of him.

Thankfully, my Scottish roots are in the opposite direction from Glenrothes, near the foot of the Ochil hills, which definitely win in the charm stakes.

Your lack of news of Zim may have something to do with the fact that British journalists get sent back home as soon as they arrive here. The latest is that the opposition party have pulled out of next year's elections - too many of their candidates have been landing up in ICU.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon