RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

The news from Zimbabwe

Old 02-25-2002, 11:33 AM

Any updates?

Sam,
I'm still in Viet Nam and the world news reports on Zimbabwe don't look too good. I keep thinking about you every time I hear something about Zimbabwe on the news, so thought I'd log on to see if there was any "news" from you. Are things as bad as the news reports say they are? And in particular, is the upheaval affecting you directly?
Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2002, 12:07 AM

Jeanie - Great to hear from you! How's Viet Nam?

Thanks for your concern.

All I can say is that it's very tense here right now. There is a palpable fear in the air that I've never experienced before and yes, that is affecting everyone.

One of the biggest menaces at the moment is an organisation called the "youth brigade" which is a crowd of state-sponsored youngsters - mostly late teens/early 20's I suppose - who have been formally trained in the fine art of intimidation and let loose on the general population. What they are getting up to doesn't bear thinking about and I won't go into detail here, but let's just say it fits into the category of "anti-social". They tend to be at their most destructive when they've got stuck into the local brew and "mbanje" (cannabis) - so if you're walking down the road and a bunch of wild-eyed youngsters carrying lengths of chain and barbed wire is coming your way, it's time to change course. Quickly.

Mustn't say too much or I'll get arrested!!

Rumours are rife, though - one I heard yesterday was that Mugabe is keeping his private helicopter on standby 24 hrs a day, in case he has to run for it!

If only ...

Sam
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2002, 12:35 AM

Hang in there Sam.

The rumour floating around here is that mad bob has applied for Nigerian citizenship in case the opposition win the elections...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2002, 12:38 AM

Lucky Nigeria!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2002, 04:42 AM

I've just heard that 15 local opposition supporters have been arrested - one is the local photographer - all on trumped-up charges (of course). Wonder when our turn will be?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2002, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sam
I've just heard that 15 local opposition supporters have been arrested - one is the local photographer - all on trumped-up charges (of course). Wonder when our turn will be?
Geez Sam! I don't get the feeling that you're being facetious here. I doubt there's a way to "lay low" - I imagine your every move is probably being watched pretty closely. Sounds pretty scary! Have you ever thought about leaving until things get better? Or would you feel like you were deserting people you care about? What a terrible situation!!

I'm trying to decide whether or not to visit my mother-in-law (whom I love dearly) in Manila with my husband in April and am sitting here watching a CNN report with thousands of protestors in the streets of Manila burning American flags with police in full riot gear. Doesn't sound promising.

I hope you keep checking in every day or so - I'm REALLY going to worry if you go silent!!

Jeanie

P.S. Viet Nam is fine - I'm just exhausted by how much I've been working! No time for "fun" these past two weeks (and no time to log in to retouchPro like I'd hoped. Oh well, I'm leaving in a couple of days and hope to return to my "normal" life soon.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2002, 12:17 PM

How about getting your mother-in-law to visit you instead?? Sounds like Manila could be a good place to avoid ...

... like Marondera (our nearest town) - they say talk of the devil and he will appear - well, we had a visitation today, thankfully not here on the farm, but at a business we have in town. Yep - the Youth Brigade came to say "hello"!! All the employees bombshelled out of the place, so none of them got hurt, thankfully. With two weeks or so before the election things are really hotting up. Yes, it would be a great idea to get out of here!!

Hope you've been taking more of those stunning photos in Viet Nam - that you'll post here for us to gawp at?!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2002, 12:39 PM

Sam
We are all worried about you. It sounds very dangerous. Hope you guys stay safe. Keep us informed on what is going on. Not that we can do much to help you but we do care about your family's safety. Sounds like the next 2 weeks and beyond are going to be a rough ride for you guys. Doubt these elections are going to change anything soon unless the electeds have the backing of a large peace keeping army to clean up the unrest there.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2002, 01:11 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I just picked up on this thread again. Sam, we want you to know that you and your loved ones are in our prayers. Hopefully, it won't be long before things quiet down for you.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2002, 11:35 PM

DJ & Ed - thank you both for your kind thoughts. I will try and check in every day to say "howdy" and let you know we're still here!!

DJ - a peace-keeping army would be VERY welcome! I wonder how bad things have to get before the UN sends one in?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon