RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

The news from Zimbabwe

Old 02-27-2002, 08:36 AM

Sounds like they got their hands full with Afghanistan right now. I don't think Zimbabwe is even a consideration. Look how bad and for how long that country had to get before action was taken. It usually takes mass genocide to bring in the peace keepers.
No way you guys can get out before it comes to that?
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2002, 12:01 PM

Gee whizz, I hope it doesn't come to THAT ... although with Africa's history, anything's possible I suppose.

We're actually making evacuation plans right now - where we'll go and how, etc. if things get really sinister. Mozambique is starting to look like an attractive destination ...!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2002, 12:33 PM

I would hate to think about leaving my home. I hope you don't have to leave your beautiful home, Sam.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2002, 12:44 PM

It must be a difficult delemma for you Sam. I sure hope it doesn't come to that either. It's hard to imagine a situation like that having lived in the US all my life.
It's a shame, it's really a beautiful place. I recently saw a segment on TV about Victoria Falls on the Zambezi River. God that is just breathtaking. I would love to see that. Are you guys close to the Falls?
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2002, 03:39 PM

Nowhere near them, but I've seen them a few times and they really are stunningly spectacular. Must dig out my photos some time. Except that my photos aren't a patch on the real thing, of course!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2002, 07:06 PM

Sam,

A little behind in posting, but I'm glad to hear you're making evacuation plans - though I certainly hope you don't have to put them into effect!!

My mother-in-law said five years ago that she was done traveling, so it's highly unlikely that we can get her to come visit us in the US. I told my husband last night that as much as I would like to go, I just don't think it would be one of my smarter decisions in life if I did go. After the Daniel Pearl incident (which admittedly was in Pakistan and not the Philippines), I have no desire to put myself in a higher risk situation.

I'm leaving Viet Nam today - just got out to take some photos of people exercising in the early morning around the lake in Hanoi. I didn't take as many photos as I'd hoped because I was working really hard while I was here. But I did shoot about 9 rolls, so hopefully I have some good shots that I can share.

Take care and stay alert. I with there were something more that I could do than just say "I'm sending good thoughts your way."

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2002, 11:30 PM

Quote:
I with there were something more that I could do than just say "I'm sending good thoughts your way."
That's good enough for me, Jeanie! Good thoughts received, thank you!

9 rolls of film - my goodness. Now you've admitted to that, you're committed to sharing them with us!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2002, 10:53 AM

Well, today's News From Zimbabwe IS:-

1. One of our tractor drivers has been abducted by "war vets". The police aren't interested.

2. Yesterday our farm was listed for compulsory acquisition by the government.

3. We have been told that we are to have a polling station on the farm for next weekend's election.

The tractor driver SHOULD be okay, because he's a supporter of the government. If he was an opposition supporter, we'd be really worried.

Otherwise, life's pretty dull here, really.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2002, 12:14 PM

Okay, all's well - the police decided to pitch up after all, the driver's been released, unharmed.

(sigh of relief!)

Thanks for listening!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2002, 01:02 PM

Thanks for checking in Sam - even though it wasn't the best of news. I kept checking in to see if there was news from you and I was starting to get worried. I'm glad to hear your tractor driver is OK - pretty scary stuff.

So what exactly does it mean when you say your "farm was listed for compulsory acquisition by the government?" How fast does "the government" move on such acquisitions? Or does the listing now "allow" rogue groups to acquire it without fear of retaliation? Does it just mean the government has the right to put a polling station on your farm or do they have the right to kick you off and seize all of your belongings? How dangerous is this "listing" for you?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I really do care about what's going on over there and am trying to understand what seems to be a pretty complex (and dangerous) situation. Do you have any "contacts" that can alert you in advance if you need to evacuate?

Stay safe - sending more good thoughts...

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon