RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

The news from Zimbabwe

Old 03-02-2002, 04:44 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Wow Sam! That sounds very serious. Like Jeanie, I'm wondering just what that means to you. Have you even considered moving out of there even if things get better? It might be a beautiful place to live, but it would be really hard to put up with things like that if you don't have to.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2002, 05:30 PM

Yes, sending good thoughts also, Sam. To you and your family.

Sharon
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2002, 07:54 PM

Sam
I guess you can tell we are all concerned here. Now that we have experienced how bad the world can get right in our own back yard, we are especially worried about you in a place without the protections of a good solid government and police force. Keep us informed and we will keep praying for you guys.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2002, 10:07 PM

I've been reading the news about Zimbabwe in my local newspaper and on the net. (especially at a site I found - http://www.zimbabwesituation.com) yikes, it sounds awful there! stay safe Sam hope everything turns out well, especially for the election this coming week.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2002, 11:44 PM

It sounds like the government (if you can call it that) is doing every thing it can to bend the election in Mugabe's favor. Is it true that they are telling white citizens that they can't vote in the election? What about the opposition (MDC?) Are they any better than what is there now?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2002, 12:01 AM

Hi all and thanks for your thoughts and concern.

Jeanie - you're right, it is a complex issue, so I won't go into it in great detail, for fear of boring/confusing anyone to death!!

The compulsory acquisition is a formal notification that the government intends to take our farm (no compensation, no nothing) and resettle it with "landless peasants" (i.e. government ministers' buddies/relations, more like). So it may give the green light to less-than-principled elements, such as the "war vets" (who are above the law) to invade the farm and try to persuade us to leave sooner than we would otherwise. As has happened to some of our neighbours.

The polling station thing is not a major issue, except that we may have violent flare-ups on the farm as a result of it, but that's temporary.

Ed - yes, we considered the option of my leaving, taking the children to safety and leaving my husband behind to look after the farm but decided it was best if we all stuck together. The trouble is that nobody knows exactly what will happen, so nobody knows what is the right thing to do. So we all have Plan A, Plan B etc. etc.

Oh well, at least I shall be an expert in strategic planning after all this is over!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2002, 12:18 AM

Hi, Greg - sorry, I missed your post (was so busy scribbling my own!)

The government is doing everything possible to stop those who may vote for the opposition from voting, black and white. Plenty of people have been denied the right to vote thanks to totally unreasonable new laws which have just been brought in for that purpose.

Yes, the MDC is most certainly a better bet than what we've got now. But whether they too go down the same route after too many years in power remains to be seen. I doubt they will get that chance, though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2002, 01:20 AM

David, Great website - thanks for the link!

Sam, I admire your strength. I don't know that I could endure what you are going through. The situation in Zimbabwe is getting more and more news time here in the US and increasing numbers of people are starting to take notice of the injustices over there. I hope and pray that some day soon we'll get a message from you saying "good news!" Until that time, may you continue to find whatever strength and wisdom you need to make the best decisions for you and your family.

In solidarity, Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2002, 03:29 AM

What a mess. I have been reading a bit about Zimbabwe after seeing this thread and I have to say, you and your family are far stronger and braver than I could ever be!

It sounds like, and correct me if I am wrong, that this government has run the economy into the ground and is using the land issue as a scapegoat for it's mess. I can fully understand why land needs to be divided more evenly but Mugabe seems more interested in lining his own pockets.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2002, 09:44 AM

Spot-on, Greg.

Mugabe's wife, Grace, is fond of shopping sprees in Europe and a couple of years ago she broke the record for the most amount of money spent in one day at Harrods (in London) at UKP 8 million. When questioned about this, she ensured the interviewer that she earned her own money making clothes on her old Singer sewing machine!!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon