Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Do I have a virus?

Old 07-21-2004, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by Ed_L
It seems as though I do have a virus! My daughter called me this morning to tell me I sent her a virus. It might be on my wife's computer since we have the two networked. Now I need to get rid of it. Does anyone know if a system restore would do the trick?

Thanks Gary. I am using AdAware now. I'll check out the other suggestions.

Unless you already have automatic system backup/mirroring/restore-like software installed, e.g., "GoBack" or the like, your course of action may be reduced to find it and kill it.

"House call" is a nifty (free) virus finder/fixer. I've used it to kill viruses that Norton missed.

It's from Trend Micro. (It takes a while to load... be patient). When it does you can specify on which drives to run it (all would be good in your case) + the option to kill anything it finds (also good).

They have a standalone (pay for it) product, too. The download is like a "free sample" to promote their other products.

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2004, 02:26 PM
Hi Ed,

If you're convinced you have a virus and your anti-virus programme does not seem to find it, try doing an online scan at one of these websites.

Trend Micro Housecall

Panda Active Scan

RAV Antivirus Online Virus Scan

BitDefender Free Online Virus Scan

Run scan and note name of virus, if programme cannot delete it go to vendors website and search with the name of the virus, they usually have instructions for how to remove it.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2004, 03:19 AM
You can try a standalone virus remover such as Stinger from McAfee.

Remember, just because your daughter sees the email as coming from you, doesn't necessarily mean it came from you. It could be a spoof coming from someone who has both you and your daughter in their email address book (such as one of your other children!)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2004, 02:41 PM
Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
This has me dumbfounded! The first guy who told me I sent a virus is one that I'm almost positive does not share an online acquaintance with me. My daughter actually told me that she received a tainted e-mail from my wife's address. We're on a network, so I thought for sure one of us had a virus. But after scanning with AVG *and* four online scans, nothing shows up! Maybe I need to wait until new updates come in for the online software?

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2004, 03:15 PM
From the web (

"You're minding your own business, and one day you get email from someone you've never heard of, and they're asking you to stop sending them email. Or worse, they're angry. Or worse yet, they accuse you of sending them a virus! But you don't know them, you've never heard of them, and you know you've never sent them email.

Welcome to the world of viruses, where you can get the blame for someone else's infection. And there's worse news to come.

Before I get to that, though, there is always a small possibility that your email account has been compromised. The solution there is simple: change your password, immediately. That should prevent someone who's using your account for malicious purposes from continuing, assuming you've chosen a good password.

But these days that's not the most common cause for the situation I've described. Viruses are. And what's worse, there's almost nothing you can do.

The MyDoom/Novarg virus currently running rampant is a great example. The virus infects someone's machine, and then looks in the email address book on that machine, and emails a copy of itself to everyone it finds. What it also does is forge the "From:" address for the email that it sends. What does it use to forge the address? Why the addresses in the address book, of course. So infected machine will send email to everyone in the address book, looking as if it was sent by other people in that address book, even though it was not.

Let's use a concrete example: Peter's machine gets infected with the MyDoom virus. In his address book are entries for friends Paul, and Mary. Paul and Mary have never met, have never exchanged email, and do not know each other - they each just know Peter. The virus on Peter's machine will send email with the virus to Paul looking like it came from Mary. Paul may wonder who the heck this Mary person is and why she's sending him a virus, but she was never involved.

If you're in Mary's place, you can see that it would be frustrating to be accused of something that you had nothing to do with and have no control over.

For the record, your email address may end up in the address books of people you don't know as well. Various email programs will automatically hold on to additional email addresses that were included on email you received, or possibly from email that was forwarded. Viruses have also been known to use other sources of email addresses, or even forward them around as the virus spreads. What that means is that the simple "friend of a friend" example I used with Peter, Paul and Mary, while simple and certainly possible, is not the only way your email could show up as a forged "from" line.

What's important here is simply this: one way or another, email viruses lie about who sent them.

If someone accuses you of sending a virus-laden email, and you are positive you did not, then you have very little recourse other than trying to educate them about how viruses work. Point them at this article if you like. But be clear: you're not necessarily infected, nor is the person who received the mail claiming to be from you. It's some third party who is. (And identifying that third party is difficult - this is why virus writers use this technique.)

And of course be sure that you're not going to get infected yourself: don't open attachments from people you don't know, and make sure you have an up-to-date virus checker and virus definitions file."
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2004, 07:14 PM
Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Thanks for the post T. It's very informative.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon