RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Do I have a virus?

Old 07-19-2004, 07:15 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Do I have a virus?

I received an e-mail from a longtime online acquaintance telling me that his virus protection caught a virus that I sent. I haven't sent this individual an e-mail for quite some time, but he is in my address book. I have NOT visited any questionable websites, and I only visit websites having to do with Photoshop or genealogy on a regular basis. The only other sites I might visit are Amazon.com or sites like bestbuy.com. I also have not downloaded anything for quite a while. About an hour ago I ran a virus check from Symantec.com, and it came up clean. My anti-virus runs each and every day, but nothing has been found. What are the chances Symantec and AVG are both missing a virus?

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2004, 08:15 PM
Janitor

It's possible, but I suspect someone else that has you in their address book has a virus. Many of the new breed of worms/viruses ransack the user's address book for cover names, in the hope that someone will think it's really someone else they know and activate the attachment (or, slightly more benignly, just open it and read the spam advertisement).

I get email all the time from rachel@retouchpro.com, manager@retouchpro.com, etc., all aimed at fooling me into opening the email, thinking it's a co-worker. The insideous part of spam and virus emails is that the displayed "from" email address has nothing to do with the actual email sender.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2004, 08:29 PM

Aha! Thanks very much for taking a worry off my shoulders.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2004, 10:28 PM

Ed:

Just so you know re: "My anti-virus runs each and every day"

If you're merely doing a scan for virues everyday, this is false comfort -- but only slightly. New virus "definitions" are typically made available weekly by the major supplier, unless a really ugly virus comes up and starts messing everybody up, e.g, Melissa or Blaster in which new definitions are made available sooner than the normal weekly distribution.

If by slim chance you're among "the first ones" to be infected by a new virus before a corresponding virus definition is created and downloaded/installed on your computer, there's a chance, albeit a small one, you could get infected.

Taking the action you did pretty much assures all is well. But even with Norton or Symantic or whatever you've got, like condoms, you're only about 99% protected.

Keep practicing Safe Computing!

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2004, 02:25 AM

Quote:
The insideous part of spam and virus emails is that the displayed "from" email address has nothing to do with the actual email sender.
The current jargon for this is spoofing. It's to make you think it's from someone you know. The horror of this is that often people often get very irate about you sending out viruses, when you actually had nothing to do with it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2004, 03:26 AM

You mention AVG Ed, is that a firewall?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2004, 05:05 AM

Hi Ed,

There's a better chance that you have a Trojen or Data Miner sending info out of your system. Have you a good trojen checker. SpyBot 1.3 is good at getting rid of little extras like this. It's free - another added bonus.

Also, I may not have fully understood your mail... Do you have both Symantic & AVG on your system? Having two virus checkers on a system can cause serious conflicts and return false reports.

Do you have a Firewall? It's always an added security measure that can stop information and unauthorised programs contacting the net without your permission.

**Paris**

Last edited by Paris; 07-21-2004 at 05:55 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2004, 06:52 PM

Thanks for all the replies. AVG is a virus protection software, and I keep it updated with the latest definitions. It has served me well in the past, catching two viruses (virii?). It is the only one I have on my computer, but when I thought it might have missed a virus, I went to Symantec.com and scanned for a virus again. The only firewall I have is the one that comes packaged with XP, and I use it. I do not have Spybot, but I guess this is a good time to get it. Thanks for passing that on.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2004, 01:07 AM

Hi Ed,

Your problem does not really sound like spyware, however it's never a bad idea to protect yourself.

Spybot S&D is a good programme, however I would also add Adaware, and Spyware Blaster, as no one programme seems to give total protection. The latter is a blocker, and will stop Spyware downloading in the first place.

As with all such programmes it is essential that you keep them updated. By the way, all the above are freeware.

I would also upgrade your firewall, XP's inhouse firewall is very basic, and not too secure.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2004, 08:42 AM

It seems as though I do have a virus! My daughter called me this morning to tell me I sent her a virus. It might be on my wife's computer since we have the two networked. Now I need to get rid of it. Does anyone know if a system restore would do the trick?

Thanks Gary. I am using AdAware now. I'll check out the other suggestions.

Ed
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon