RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Chris H about bread machines

Old 10-21-2001, 01:16 PM

Chris H about bread machines

Hey Chris
Not much in tips except get a machine that's easy to clean and instead of using water as a liquid, use buttermilk because the acid in it acts as a natural preservative. (Your breads won't dry out as fast)
I love baked bread but to make it by hand is not for me because I couldn't get yeast to rise if I used a car jack, but in these machines you just dump in the ingredients and hit the right buttons and in a few hours you got hot good bread. We quit buying store bread because it's easy enough to make. Love trying new flavors so that link I found in news groups is pretty neat.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2001, 04:41 PM

Is there no premixing of the ingredients DJ ? Or is it a case of tossing the stuff in and pressing the button.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2001, 05:29 PM

It's basically a toss of ingredients in the bread maker with the liquids first and the flour next to last and finally make a little pocket in the top of the flour and pour in your dry yeast. Then close the lid and press the buttons and away you go. After you do a recipe you like a few times it becomes burned to memory and you just throw it together in a mater of a minute or two. They even have a delay feature you can put your ingredients and time it so it turns on 3 hours before breakfast for instance. You wake up to the smell of coffee (tea) and hot bread. It's great.
You can make doughs for awesome pizzas also or quick breads, you name it. It's a long way from Grandmas days.
DJ

Last edited by DJ Dubovsky; 10-21-2001 at 05:32 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2001, 07:22 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
My wife makes fantastic pizza dough in ours. But I think the best thing about the bread maker is the aroma of bread being baked. The bread is excellent, but the aroma is more so!

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2001, 08:55 PM

Kind of reminds you of the times when you mother baked and the house smelled sooooo good. Only you didn't have to do all the hard work she did to get that smell.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2001, 03:27 AM

I can see I'm going to have to have a close look at this machine and get it into action, it's been sat in its box for 3 months. One of my favourites is Soda bread done the Irish way with buttermilk, if I could get that mix done I'd be a happy man. Up until a couple of years ago there was an old style bakers a few miles away with an old style bread oven which was heated with wood the night before.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2001, 08:19 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I can just smell the aroma from that old bakery! I'm gonna have to get off here soon for breakfast!

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2001, 10:00 AM

We lived in Ghent Belgium for 2 years and the thing I missed the most was going to the bakery and getting those delicious hearth breads. Even in the grocery store I remember picking my bread out and putting it in the slicing machine and smearing butter on it when I got home. Oh God it was soooo good. A bread machine is great but there is no competing with one of those stone baked hearth breads. I have been meaning to try making the dough in the machine and baking the bread dough on stone in the oven but all I've read about the hearth breads indicates they can be difficult to do and I don't have a green thumb when it comes to breads. That's why I like the machine.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2001, 11:41 AM

DJ,

Slicing machine ! If a slice of bread doesn't stand on end when you cut it off the loaf it isn't thick enough.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2001, 12:29 PM

Smile

I was intriqued with it because in the US, grocers would never trust the public to run their own bread through a slicing machine and bag it themselves. Too many oportunities for lawsuits. The slices were a set size and I find it made the bread last longer with my voracious family. Left to slice it them selves, the bread is gone as soon as it's baked because thier idea of a slice is a quarter loaf.
DJ
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon