Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Skill Level??

View Poll Results: Where do you rate yourself in terms of skill level??
Beginner 11 9.02%
Beginner - Intermediate 18 14.75%
Intermediate 41 33.61%
Intermediate - Advanced 23 18.85%
Advanced 29 23.77%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2001, 11:30 AM
I feel like I am a beginner, but friends and family who have seen my work are impressed. Maybe that puts me some where between beginner and intermediate.

I'm working on my first paying job right now, so maybe I'm a little beyond the beginner stage.

At my age, i don't think I'll live long enough to become an expert!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2001, 04:55 PM

Thanks so much, Vikki!!!!

I can't believe they're copying that software for such a low price. I'm using Paint Shop Pro right now, but I intend to get Photoshop eventually. My husband is pushing me to get it, since he's seen the work I've done here. He's wants to buy PS for me for Christmas. I'm the one putting it off, since I've yet to learn all the aspects of PSP.

So far, since I've been on this site, I've been happy with PSP, except for the Retouch Challenges. I've tried three, and haven't been successful in completing any of them. I believe that you really need Photoshop for that.

I'm going to retire from my full-time job in December, and hopefully then I'll be able to learn Photoshop and do a lot more of the Challenges on this site.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2001, 08:40 AM
G'day everyone. Sorry I haven't been around of late but flat out with a flash project amougst other things. An interesting question. I'm not sure if you are asking what is your skill level with your program of choice or skill level doing retouching.

When it comes to usage and knowledge of PhotoShop, I would have to say that I am 'advanced' but there is still huge sections of the program I'm still discovering and coming to gribs with. I've lived and breathed PhotoShop for almost 2 years now and used it for everything from designing websites, colouring images, manipulating photographs through to it as a pure canvas for digital art. I've given some lecturers on the program at the university here which would be Australia's equivalent of Harvard / Yale.

Everything I've learnt has come from experimenting, experimenting, experimenting and reading the occasional good book. I can't stress enough that to learn a program is to play with it and while reading about it helps for ideas, experimenting / doing is the only way. Ok, enough ramble.

When it comes to retouching and restoring photgraphs, beginner as I've only done the one to date.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2001, 06:23 PM
Count me as beginner>intermediate.
I generally use PSP (7.04 now, started with 4.0) so with that I'm further along, but though I've ventured into the Photoshop realm with PhotoDeluxe, PS LE and Adobe Elements---I even downloaded PS 6.0 tryout so I can dream and drool.
Practice, read, experiment, and practice some more.
I do believe that the day you stop learning ought be the day you die---
so even if it's something small, I try to learn at least one thing each day.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2001, 08:44 AM
I'd rate myself as an advanced user. I'm an Adobe Certified Expert (ACE) in Photoshop Versions 5 and 6. I also teach beginning and Advanced classes at my local Community College.
If I broke the program down into education levels from K through College...I'd be a graduating High School Senior about now! I still have higher ground to cover!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2002, 03:21 PM
Advanced. I take photos well enough that people will pay me quite a bit for them, I own and know a fair bit about a whole bunch of graphics software, I retouch, manipulate and write algorithms for images on a daily basis and have for many years - since the dawn of digital imaging, in fact, in the late 1970's, and I write image processing and manipulation software professionally nowadays.

I think there's another couple of levels, though... expert and godlike.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2002, 08:10 AM
Hi all! New member here!

I agree with a lot of what's already been said. I will add that I think that everyone exhibits their own strengths depending on their own background/talents with the work.

For myself... I came into this field with a strong background in Fine Arts & Graphic design. So I guess one would say I often approach the photo with an artistic mindset - even at times using old 'portrait painting' skills on photos where needed. So as far as the actual 'craft' of realistically manipulating and restoring photos.. I feel I'd receive high marks.

On the other hand... my technical knowledge of the program as far as knowing all the ins and outs of color correction, calibration, output... best materials to use and even things as simple as good business horse sense are fields where I'm constanly seeking to improve. It's a constant process.

If expertise in this field were a book I guess I'd say I'm well over half done. (Though truth be told I've skipped around to the more interesting parts) Unfortunately they keep adding new chapters all the time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2002, 11:25 PM
Howdy Everyone..

I'm searching for the other person that admitted to being an absolute beginner....., there were two votes, mine & ???

What a wonderful site, have so enjoyed the many "pearls" shared....

I installed PS6 almost 8 weeks ago, and still am unable to do much of anything. Today, I learned about the Magnetic Lasso, sounds like my kind of tool....Now if I could only find it!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2002, 03:46 PM
The magnetic lasso is located under the regular lasso (2nd row, 1st column of toolbar). Any tool that has a tiny tic mark (little black triangle) on it, indicates "hidden" tools. Press and hold on the tool icon and a popout menu appears with the hidden tools. What's even better than the magnetic lasso, is the magnetic pen. Located under the pen tool choose the freeform pen. Then in the top Options bar checkmark the "magnetic" box.
have fun
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2002, 05:53 PM
beginner definetly
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon