RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Genealogy Forum

Old 12-08-2004, 02:59 AM

Ed, On realising your interest in Geneology I immediately took horse to the Lords manor and consulted the local thane. An exhaustive search of the parish registers and earlier parchments proved conclusivly that you are the long lost descendant of Edward the Very Bad who fled to the New World in 902 to avoid tithes and his share of the Danegeld.
Therefore could you please remit the outstanding $108,000,000.000 75c inc interest to my personal account....
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2004, 03:46 AM
Janitor

That would be what, about 2 pounds 8?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2004, 04:18 AM

I'll take 2 1gb CF cards, a signed photograph of the traitor Washington and Arizona in full settlement!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2004, 05:17 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris h
Ed, On realising your interest in Geneology I immediately took horse to the Lords manor and consulted the local thane. An exhaustive search of the parish registers and earlier parchments proved conclusivly that you are the long lost descendant of Edward the Very Bad who fled to the New World in 902 to avoid tithes and his share of the Danegeld.
Therefore could you please remit the outstanding $108,000,000.000 75c inc interest to my personal account....
Chris,

I'm certain you're trying to scam me! I have a paid in full receipt that Edward The Very Bad handed down to his ancestors. Of course there are some who would say he made it in Photoshop!!

Ed

Last edited by Ed_L; 12-08-2004 at 06:03 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2004, 05:52 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Back to copying!

Janet and MaryLynn,

When I was doing a lot of copy work, I made a copy stand out of pipe, and a few fittings. The bed was made out of 3/4" plywood, and the setup worked beautifully. It was pretty heavy, and not something you'd want to lug around. This could be used with polarizer lights and a filter, or without. The use of colored filters also came in handy, if there were stains on the pictures.

I also made a photo holder out of 1X2s or 1X3s and pegboard. The 1X2s were put into a rectangle, and glued and nailed together. On one side, I drilled a hole large enough for a vacuum hose to fit tightly into. One side of the frame was covered with peg board, and the other was covered with hardboard (like pegboard, but without the holes). This was especially good for pictures that had a tendency to curl, but it worked very well for others as well. The picture was put on the side with the holes, and a vacuum hose was attached to the frame. Turning on the vac created a suction, and the picture was absolutely flat for copying (be careful not to cause cracks on the photo). If the picture was smaller than the pegboard, the area surrounding the picture needed to be covered with paper, or the suction would be lost. The whole contraption could be set on the base of the copy stand, or used in any other way. I never invested in polarizer lights, so there were times I used the photo holder outdoors. By watching the direction of light, I had good results using a polarizing filter on the camera without having to buy the the filters for the lights.

I no longer have the setup, but making the photo holder is a snap. It is lightweight, and if I had a lot of pictures to copy today, I'd make another one.

MaryLynn said "I've learned how to cut down on the "hot spot" in the center of the image which is caused by the light reflecting off the glossy surface of the reader. " Where does the reflection come from??

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2004, 07:02 AM

Just a thought.

I'm wondering if in the future when someone posts an old family picture the person's name and a bit of history could be included. I've done enough research and had enough "miracles" happen to be thoroughly convinced that there is someone somewhere with your missing information or you with their missing information. Who knows, by posting that information we might be put in contact with more information (or more pictures). I know, it happened to me this summer. I now have in my possession the "missing" photo album that three generations have been looking for. What say everyone?

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2004, 07:41 AM

Hell, In the US you spend all your time unearthing relatives and ancestors over here I spend all my time avoiding them! As one of the conspirators I propose Ed as moderator of this forum but insist it lies well away from 'Salon'!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2004, 09:04 AM

Genealogy forum

Hi everybody,

Janet, I'm all for your suggestion of sharing information about old family photos, at least to the extent of family name, location, time period and photographer if available. I wouldn't want to get into the type of message board of Genforum or Rootsweb where more general information is shared. But sharing connections we've made based on photos can be valuable.

Ed, regarding the reflection on microfilm: on the older microfilm readers the light at the top of the reader passes through the film onto a white formica bed. The center of the image is brighter than the outer edges. The human eye doesn't pick up the variation in intensity but the camera does. By laying a piece of poster board, matte side up, on the reader bed, the center of the image is still bright but not reflective. I'll hunt for one of my early shots to post in a future message.

I've also found by shifting my desired microfilm image to the side or bottom of the bed I can avoid the hot spot. Needless to say to anyone shooting microfilm--TURN OFF THE FLASH.

Also, I like your ideas for a copy stand. In situations where portability is not a factor, it would be great. Fortunately, repositories are becoming more accommodating by having copy stands and magnetic boards in their facilities.

Ah, Chris, wouldn't it be ironic if we were to discover that one of us is related to you? I think you are safe from me as most of my English families were from Kent, Devon, Cornwall and London itself. I haven't run across Edward the Very Bad yet but, you never know. In my local genealogy society I have found connections to five other people whose families left England in the early 1600s.

Til later--
MaryLynn
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2004, 09:05 AM

Chris, if you avoid yours, how about finding mine?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2004, 10:06 AM

Janet I'm your servant in these matters.

For $500 I can connect your lineage with some castle in the UK.

For $1000 virtually certain your ancestors fought at Waterloo.

For $5000 proof positive of a connection with the tyrant of your choice.

For $10,000 the very armorial document given to Sir Elvis Petty on his joining the Knights of the round table.

No credit cards.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon