Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Old 12-10-2004, 06:52 AM

So, is it worth the cost?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2004, 12:09 PM
Yes, or i think so..

I havent bought the membership, but thats because i dont have money for it right now

The photoshop magazine is good, but the posibility to get one on one help would make it all the money worth it.

But it would be fun to hear about how good the forum is and if they have used the one on one help?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2004, 12:37 PM
I vote YES!

I have used enough of the ideas found in the magizine to more than pay the yearly cost. I have saved some $ by using their deals with various vendors. I have learned many techniques that have saved me hours and hours of time.

I have used their help thing once, they had the answer and got it back to me within a few hours.

I have been to PhotoShop World twice, am not going this year (have another event to go to) but think I will go again next time, especially if they come out with a new version of PS.

Part of the reason I like the PS World thing is that I work in a small town by myself and I find that going off to that thing is a good way of "getting my creative butt kicked". Everyone needs that every so often

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2004, 01:33 PM
Good question Glikster - I've been wondering that too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2004, 12:25 PM

Thank you all who answered! I'm also tight on funds and trying to weigh the benefits with the (actual) costs, so all of your input is extremely helpful.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2004, 09:38 PM
Most months there are 3-4 beginner/intermediate level tutorials in the magazine. The format is similar to what you'd see in any of the Scott Kelby-written Photoshop Killer Tips-type books. Topics are all over the board, so some months they might be very relevant to your interests, and other months not. The product and book reviews are brief and seldom critical. There's a lot of advertising for books, seminars, DVDs, etc. offered for sale by many of the contributing writers.

Website content, e.g., tutorials, downloads, etc. IMO is pretty weak -- a lot less quality and quantity than I expected. I was (and still am) surprised by the low amount of activity on the NAPP discussion forums.

I haven't used any of the NAPP discounts yet, but if I ever go to a PhotoshopWorld, the $100 registration saving will certainly help offset other travel expenses.

That said I do look forward to getting the magazine each month, but when my renewal comes up Spring 2005 at this point I'm not sure I will renew. The question will be can I get as much (or more) benefit out of other resouces?

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Re: Napp

I just wanted to "dust" this one off (the thread) to see if opinions regarding the usefulness of joining NAPP are the same in 2009 as they were in 2004. I'm a recently new member of NAPP, and admittedly not trying too hard to find it, I haven't seen much there that I can't get here at Retouchpro. I do like their magazine, but is it worth an $89 discounted membership fee? Thanks for any feedback.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Re: Napp

I joined Napp Sept of '03. At the time I found it paid because I was buying the magazine off the rack trying to learn what I think has been the hardest subject I have ever encountered, PS. I justified it then as the savings on the $9.95 magazine paid most of it and the free shipping from B&H Photo made up the rest.

I doubt I will renew. For pure PS info, RetouchPRO is far better a source and can be as light as you want on a subject or as heavy as you can absorb.

I have never been to PS World mainly because I hate Vegas and the east coast times never seem to be right for me. {My wife rows and when they hold the "Head of the Charles" race in Boston seems to be really out of sync with PSW. Other places like Orlando have landed on times that were for family or business reasons, not workable.}

Also Danny's evaluation in '04 seems to be still spot on.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon