RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

New Members Introductions, Biographical Ramblings Etc

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 10:25 AM

Jenny -- Welcome to RetouchPRO! I can see by the work that you did on your colorized photo that you have truly learned a lot in those few months. Not only is it a good first effort, but it's a good job done. (there's a tiny bit of overspray on her pearls in the center of the photo, I believe.) Hope you are able to find time to continue discovering "those artistic skills coming alive" in Photoshop -- it doesn't take long to become "addicted".
Old 01-22-2003, 06:37 PM

Wink Introduction--Thanks CJ

CJ,

Thanks for your comments. Its good having feedback on one's work by their peers. When I went to submit my first post to this list and use the "Save For The Web" feature--it took a few turns to get the image at or below the 100k limit. I wasn't sure about the blur factor setting either. I had never used that SFTW feature--but had read we needed to use this feature for all submitted bits.

I will have a look at the overprayed bit. Even though I tend to be a perfectionist at times--I get bored working on the same thing--and then forget little areas I meant to fix.

I am also curious and anyone can answer this: but is there a site on the web or a book that would give colour guidelines for different time periods in different parts of the world. I was guessing on the olive/bluish/greenish background--as my mother enjoyed the autumn colours--and would be happy to have other background colour suggestions as well.

Listen, as for being addicted to PS 7---you can bet I might be a canidiate for DVT (deep vein thrombosis) just because I get so carried away and lose track of time that before I know it--I've sat still for three hours without getting up once! HAHAHAHA!!!!!

Cheers,

Jenny
Old 01-22-2003, 07:07 PM

Hi Jenny:

Welcome from me too!

As a current resident of the Pacific Northwest myself (North Bend, WA, just east of Seattle) you'll perhaps be comforted to know that the past couple of days it has been doing the typical January "rainy/windy thing" here. Homesick yet? You're probaby enjoying nice weather this time of year down under, aren't you?

You've done marvelous work on this colorization. Just terrific.

Great question regarding "colors through the years." This isn't an area I tip-toe in often, so I'll leave it folks like Jak and Vikki who know a LOT in this area. IF there are books or sites in this area, J & V will know about them.

Again, welcome aboard. Keep sharing your creations. As you develop your own style and make discoveries, don't hesitate to share some of the things you learn along the way.

Cheers...
~DannyR~
Old 01-22-2003, 08:51 PM

What a wonderful job!

What a beautifull job of colorizing. Very impressive.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:24 AM

Introductions--Thanks!

Thanks for your kind thoughts Danny and Stella,

You're right...I do miss the Pac West at this time of year--as I used to live in Vancouver, WA I love the Highway 101 drive starting at Seaside--as well as Multnomath Falls, the Olympia Nat'l Rain Forest--just to name a few spots. Our Brissie weather here has been fairly great--except for the past few humid days. Otherwise it feels like spring year round--at least to me. I am thankful I am not living with all the madness of the bush fires down around Canberra and Melbourne.

I guess what made me think about colours in various time periods is when working on B & W photo's I always wonder about the person in the photo and what their lives must have been like at the moment the camera went "click." Maybe its me--but photo restoration transports tired colourless people into new fresh faces. I think its really some kind of magic.

Cheers,

Jenny
Old 01-26-2003, 12:22 PM

Well, I'm a slow learner. I've just found this thread.

My name is Amanda, and I'm a 31 year old single mother. Professionally, I'm a web developer and graphic designer for a small, locally owned bank. Prior to my employment there, I owned my own web and graphic design company.

In addition to working full time, I also go to school full time in the evenings. I do it online at the University of Phoenix. I'm nearly finished with a Marketing Degree, and I've just about convinced myself to continue and get a Masters in Fine Arts. If I could only find an MFA in digital arts program I'd be a happy girl.

I live in Texas, which can be both a blessing and a curse. Blessings when the bluebonnets are bloomin' and curse when the river's rising. I live in a rural area bounded by three rivers, so I get flooded into my home frequently.

Unlike so many of you on the board, I couldn't take a good picture if God himself came down and focused for me. I always end up with pieces of myself (finger, elbow, hair) in the photo or some other weird thing. I'm better at image manipulation and graphic creation. My newest hobby is photo art, which I've really just discovered since finding this forum. It's limitlessly fascinating to me.

When I'm not working or going to school (or spending far too much time here) I am very involved with our local Chamber of Commerce currently sitting on five committees and acting as Vice-Chair of another. I also do a lot of volunteer web design work for local organizations that don't have the wherewithall to do it themselves.

But the best thing of all is my five year old kiddo. He's a total blast, and the best thing I've ever created. I can't say enough good things about him. We live very happily with a skink named Skinky, a yet-to-be-named wild green lizard, a huge orange cat named Mike that thinks he's a dog, and a Speagle (cocker spaniel/beagle mix) named Henry who thinks he should live in my pocket. I can't remember the last time I went to the bathroom alone thanks to this crew...

That's probably far more than you wanted to know about me!!

Amanda
Old 01-27-2003, 08:07 AM

Welcome Amanda!!!

Hi Amanda,

I am a newbie to this list as well. It was nice reading about your life in Texas and your achievements--all as a single mom! I did my Fine Arts degree as a single mother and it was challenging at times. In a few weeks, I will be starting another degree--in animation.

>My newest hobby is photo art, which I've really just discovered >since finding this forum. It's limitlessly fascinating to me.

Yes- I agree---this site is awesome..so much information! Plus--everyone is helpful as well!

Welcome to the list Amanda!

Jenny
Old 01-30-2003, 05:01 AM

Hello and Hi

Wow! What an incredible Website this is. My name is Richard. I live here 'bout 30 miles due west of Portland Oregon (Hillsboro) for the last 6 years or so. I grew up in Southern California and first got interested in photography in highschool. It's amazing to think there were no PCs back then but photography has never totally lost its appeal to me. Every now and then it's kinda funny to hear someone at work way younger than myself (yes, I'm nearly50) complain about taking specks from a digital image. If they only knew what it was like to retouch 4 x5 negatives and use a 00 brush to spot 8 x10 glossies. Gawd, I feel so old suddenly. I tell my son, "Optical mice? Graphics tablets? Bah! When I was your age we used mice with roller balls in 'em and loved it."

Anyway I've been using PS (7) for almost 3 years now and have found no end to its complexity. A very addictive and amazing tool. I feel very fortunate to have found this place. Every thread I've peeked at so far has been nothing but positive and it's absolutely refreshing. This is going to be great!
Old 01-30-2003, 12:50 PM

Hey, Rich...

Welcome to RetouchPRO. Glad you found us.

As I read your bio I was thinking how similar it is to mine in many ways:
* Grew up in the L.A. area
* Lived in Vancouver, WA until 1985 (worked in Portland for many years); still in the Northwest (Seattle area) & root for the Blazers, not the Sonics
* Long time interest in photography (traditional version; hobby perspective) and now migrating to digital
* Prefer the simplicity of a roller-ball mouse
* Started messing with Photoshop just about three years ago
* I'll be 51 on Sunday

(Fade in the Twilight Zone music...)

Like you, I'm hooked on Photoshop: always something to learn. Gobs of fun.

You're right... great site, lots of nice people -- and we just added one more. Again, welcome, and keep havin' fun.

~DannyR~
Old 01-31-2003, 12:59 AM

Thanx for the welcome Danny and Happy Birthday. Great to be here.

Richard
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon