RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

New Members Introductions, Biographical Ramblings Etc

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 02:25 AM

I'm your newest member directed here from a nice lady at Wacom.

Everyone I know call's me "Howie" so please feel free to do so.
I'm 43 retired/disabled from Emergency Medical Services where I've spent my adult life as a Paramedic.
I have a photography background with 3 years of formal training
in HS, I was lucky to be in a program that had lots of resources at
a DOD HS in Japan, with several Navy photographers helping with technical training.I would like to do medium format again.I also have a commercial art background.

I'm currently new to working with photo restoration & retouching
having spent most of my time doing graphics with Photoshop.
I plan on doing more retouching since I may have established a market for it locally.I build my own workstations since I can't aford a mac and would switch to Linux in a heartbeat if Adobe would ever port to it(I keep pleading with them)

I'm in So Cal and I'm looking forward to refining my skills here.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:36 AM

Hey, Howie...

Welcome aboard. I'm a SoCal native (Culver City/Santa Monica area) who transplated to Washington (about 35 years ago).

With your background, you'll pickup a lot of R&R techniques here. Look forward to seeing you on the forums.

~Danny~
Old 11-18-2003, 10:54 PM

Cool Hiya!

My name is Aimée (ah-may) Wheaton and I live just outside Orlando. I've been a graphic designer for almost 12 years. I'm married to my best friend Jason and we're going on over 4 years now. We have 3 beautiful pets and no kids yet. I enjoy photography, travel, church, OFF-ROADING in my WRANGLER!!! We're about to join the Orlando JEEP club and it's a blast! And of course I love PHOTOSHOP!! I recently went to Photoshop World in Miami, best experience I've had. I'm originally from the North but have lived in FL most of my life, I missing the mountains big time now! We may move back to upstate NY in the near future. I have a BA in Fine arts and a minor in graphic design from State University of NY (SUNY). I own my own biz now, finally and I work from home. I just hit the big 3-0! I just got an iPod (best invention in the world!!! You should get one! And that's about it for now I guess! Thanks for reading!!
Old 11-19-2003, 10:22 PM

A sincere WELCOME, to you, Aimée.

With your background and interests, you will be a valuable addition to the membership.

~Danny~
Old 11-20-2003, 07:01 AM

Okay I'll give this a whirl!

Hi I am new here but not new to digital photography and graphics. I have been working and playing with both for about 8 years. I do a lot of 'tinkering' for the fun of it. I work on a Mac mostly in Photoshop have a few digital cameras (I have a digital camera 'problem' according to my DH!). I am at heart a fine artist who has recently decided to make a go of being a working artist on a full time basis. We'll see. I have put together a mini gallery of digital stuff I have worked on over the last year or so. Also you can peek at my web site which has a lot more of my fine art on it. Looking forward to learning more here!

~deb

Mini Gallery

The Deb Web
Old 11-20-2003, 08:19 AM

Thank you for the welcome Danny, I'm really jumping the past week here I just got a Wacom tablet and picked up a nice photo editing book which has Doug Nelson's name on it.
I'm trying the power editing in Photoshop with the tablet right now with pretty good results and I will have a photo or 2 this week for everyone to take a shot at, I just need to knock the size down without degrading the image quality first.
Something different concert photos with an intresting twist from the early 80's.

And Hello Deb I'm not with the official welcome wagon having just found my way here as well , however welcome aboard!
This place appears very educational for photo buffs I learn something everytime I stop by to mosey around. TTFN
Old 11-20-2003, 02:13 PM

Howie: If you're a member, regardless of how long, you're eligible to DRIVE the Welcome Wagon!

- - - - - -

Deb:

Your artwork is amazing. Sure glad you found us.

Jump right in wherever and whenever you like. I expect many will be learning from you, as well.

Welcome aboard.

~Danny~
Old 11-23-2003, 12:01 PM

As you may have noticed, looking at the info on the left side, I'm from Belgium...
That small country between France, the Netherlands, Germany, and an even smaller country : Luxembourg... across the pond is the UK, so you know more or less where it is... no, it was not a dirt on your map, it's a country
Was born in '75 in Malmedy

Went at school in the "regular" section (ie not artistic ) but I always drawed in the margins (to the despair of my teachers) of my books...
then I had to choose a orientation, tried Translation, I'm good to learn other languages but I can't stand vocabulary lists... and the first year at university involved too much fun... so I decided to take infographics... went in a "beaux-arts" school, but they were still using Amigas (in 1995) I discovered Photoshop in the only Mac of the Class...
I didn't finished the year at school, (I felt it was not "the" school)

The year after, I found the good one, they were giving classical courses, as well as teaching infographics... bought my first PC, and became immediately addicted to Photoshop! (the year after, I was more an assistant to the PS teacher than a regular student )

I finished those studies in a row (what a change!), then got my actual job, who's title is "Illustrator" and I can use my loved app at work. I am still trying to get a side job in which I can be more creative (my main one is for a big institution, so not really over creative) but it will involve me being organized....

My main home on the net is Greg Vander Houwen's PhotoshopTechniques.com I post also at Mark's PhotoshopGurus, and at the Adobe Photoshop User to User forum...

I cannot describe myself as a Photographer, but I like to shoot, sometimes...

I live in a house with my GF, my dog (german shepherd), and my cat (who loves to walk on the keyboard) not too far of the French border.

Ah, also, my biggest fault: procrastinator!
also, I'm infoholic: I like to read, I need to read, everything about any subject...

Sports: running (10-15 Km), and helping a friend to build his house, trust me, it's a whole sport by itself!

Tastes: Electronic music mainly, expecially noise/ambient/underground/industrial

Movies: Dark scifi : Blade Runner, Brazil, Delicatessen, most Tim Burton, Ridley Scott, David Lynch... movies

Books: Dune, Hyperion (Had the mandatory Stephen King period, but still read his books from time to time) + William Gibson
Other details :

No driver license, but dad sells cars (no, you don't need to replace the "but" by "because", unless it is unconscious , OTOH, you can relate this to the Procrastinator info... and to the fact that they made too many "drink or drive" ads... I choosed: Belgium doen't produce petrol, but beer!)

Old hobbies : Remote Controlled Cars, then Amiga and ...Deluxe Paint!...

Likes : everything that's creative... I can watch fashion shows (NOT only victoria's secrets!) my preferred haute couture designers are Thierry Mugler and Jean-Paul Gaultier...

I love to stare at the buildings (we live close to marvellous things, but don't notice them most of the time)

Is that enough?
Old 12-02-2003, 10:37 AM

A belated WELCOME, Pierre.

It sounds like you've had an interesting life so far. It's always enjoyable to get an international perspective on a worldwide interest such as this.

Glad you found us here and look forward to seeing you on the forums.
~DannyR~
Old 12-13-2003, 12:41 PM

Thumbs down howdy

so i guess its a given that im new here. this a huge site and im a busy girl so its taking me some time to get familiar withh it all.

im tiana form tempe arizona (us). im 23 but dont let that fool you. ive been working with phtoshop and illustrator for 8 years or so. i currently go to and work at the state university. i work as a graphic artists in the instruction support lab http://is.asu.edu/islab/ and im working on my ba in graphic design with plans to master in architecture/urban planning and city design and possibly minor in math. ive also taken many classes in photography, film and fine arts.

ive also recently started my own business, tnt designs. my first project is a huge one, illustrating a series of childrens books, which i am doing all with photoshop, illustrator and my wacom tablet. ive also signed with a clothing line to design thier logo and some t-shirt and other clothing prints.

uhm, so yeah, thats me!
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon