RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

New Members Introductions, Biographical Ramblings Etc

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 09:25 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Couch
I did not realize 66 was that old...
Was that PM requesting a loan *really* from you, Greg?

Ed
Old 03-05-2004, 02:41 PM

Hello!

Hi Everyone,

(puts the NEWBIE post it on my forehead)

figured I would do the nice bio deal and get it over with.

I am 33, and have been working in photofinishing since I was 17.

My first job was in the Art dept at Winnipeg Photo, where I toiled away as a spotter for a bit then learned retouching....by hand (insert eerie music here)
They hired me because I paint with watercolours and the boss figured I could handle retouching dyes.

After that I have been a lab jockey doing prints in various incarnations and forms. I learned all sorts of cool tricks from the various techs I have worked with, and I can even rebuild a neg processor (not that it is fun)

After slaving for the evil drugstore chain lab I took a job in Atlanta, moving out of Canada.

I love doing restoration work, and most certainly it is more a labour of love than for pay. I do some work on the side in this arena, but much of my time is taken up with working as a lab jockey.

I muck about in Photoshop and never claim to know what I am doing (which can make for a pain when I do something cool and can't remeber how I did it)
much to learn about the digital word.
Thus far I am loving this place and sucking up information like mad

Juliana Ross
Old 03-05-2004, 03:08 PM

Hi Juliana,

Welcome to RP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliana Ross
(puts the NEWBIE post it on my forehead)
...just stick around and it'll drop off in no time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliana Ross
I love doing restoration work.....
You surely found the right place .... Nice to have you onboard!

Old 03-05-2004, 04:09 PM

Greetings, Juliana...

Thanks for sharing a bit about yourself. Glad you found us.

I know what you mean about all the great things to learn here. I've been a member and I've still not seen it all.

Welcome to a wonderful site. Hope you have a long and enjoyable stay.
~DannyR~
Old 03-30-2004, 01:26 PM

Cool

Hello all

This is my first post here (I noticed it doesn't count comments under works).
I will write quickly and shortly and I would like to sorry for all mistakes that I have made and I will make I am not from UK, USA or other country with English as a prime language. I am from Poland, my name is James and I am 17.

Two years ago I started to learn about computer graphics. Now I use mainly Photoshop and want to learn more about it - I suppose that this forum can teach me new techniques and maybe I will help someone. BTW. It is a great place to practise.

That's all.

PS. I have just read few posts in this thread... don't tell me that I am the youngest here am I ?

Last edited by suchyy; 03-30-2004 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:42 PM

Hello James,

Welcome to RP!

You surely found the right place .... Just search the Forums for great Tips and even greater Tutorials ....

If you don't find what you are looking for, don't hesitate to ask for Help ....

Your English is very good .... and as for being 'non' English or American .... well ... I am Italian, live in Italy but I really feel at home at RP!....

Old 03-30-2004, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchyy
PS. I have just read few posts in this thread... don't tell me that I am the youngest here am I ?
....Believe me .... I whish I could say the same!!!!
Old 03-30-2004, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora
....Believe me .... I whish I could say the same!!!!
Usually I write on boards about computers, where half of users is in my age or younger, and the second half is a few years older so this forum is quite untypical for me

But... it is good sign - many professionals
Old 03-30-2004, 04:21 PM

Hello suchyy:

It's always nice to have new members, especially ones who see the world from a different perspective than many of us.

I was glad to see you posted an entry in the Photo-art forum. That's what we like: The brave and to bold!

Welcome to RetouchPRO and I hope you have lots of fun while you're learning.

~Danny~
Old 04-03-2004, 02:00 PM

Introducing meself

Hello everyone,

I'm so excited about this forum that i wanted to introduce myself righ away! I'm Terhi, 26, another European reinforcement. I am Finnish and also live in Finland, though I've studied two years in Wales UK, in a tiny little town called Llantwit Major in mid-90's (any other UWCers here? that's an international school i attended). Obviously, I am not a native English speaker so i apologise for language mistakes. I'm married, just recently (well almost half a year now), with a long-time boyfriend Pasi. We haven't got any kids yet, but we are hoping to change that soon...

Workwise, my job has nothing to do with photography or any other graphics. I am a environmental scientist, working on my Ph.D. and my research focuses mainly on the "moldy building" phenomenom, if that says anything to anyone... I learned photography and darkroom skills in Wales, and been into it ever since (i don't have a darkroom of my own though). I got interested in photoshop when we needed to have some old photos scanned and printed for our wedding. The prints from a local photoshop were really under any expectations! I was sure even i could do much better, and here i am, learning all the time!

I have a huge project on restoring about 500-1000 colour photos from 70's, they are all very faded and now it's almost the last chance to get something out of them. I also have a few very old torn, cracked and stained b&w photos, a courtesy from mom, that desperately need restoring too. isn't it great that restoring old photos is my favourite hobby right now? Other interests are reading (anything Pratchetty is favourite), cooking (Finno-Italian) and EATING (too much), gardening (we've rented an 100 m2 allotment ), websurfing and ITALY in any form! I am so happy I found this site and i look forward to many happy hours discussing all the things photography (and not) with all of you!

great to be here, Terhi
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon