Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

New Members Introductions, Biographical Ramblings Etc

Closed Thread
Old 09-25-2001, 09:19 PM
Hello everyone,
Another Texan here from Dallas,59 years old,married,a spoiled dog and a noisy African Grey Parrot. I have been interested in photography off and on since I was 18 and very much into Nature Photography for the last 12 years. I have been using Photoshop for about four years for contrast and color corrections for my nature images. I have just started trying to learn restoration and retouching in the last three months and find it very addictive. I upgraded to PS 6 and like it a lot,it seems a little more intuitive to use and learn.
I am looking forward to participating and learning here and think this is a special site. Thanks to Doug and the moderators for their time and effort in making it special. Roger
Old 09-28-2001, 12:06 AM
Hi everyone!

my name is Ingrid

Age 54 - married for 30 years – after years in the corporate world, my husband and I now own a small market here on the Oregon Coast. We have two wonderful daughters age 22 (just graduated from college and now a physical fitness trainer) and 24 (in her third year of a six-year dual Naturopathic and Oriental Medicine program in Portland.) Sierra (Siberian Malamute) and Nicky (tuxedo cat) round out our immediate family. That’s “me” three days a week and full-time during the summer. The other four days a week, I’m a full-time college student living in Portland (get to visit with daughters as an added bonus) - a social science major in my senior year - although I’m still not sure what I want to be when I grow up.
About six years ago I volunteered to become the family historian. This summer while experimenting with how to best record the collected stories/info, I started playing with old photos, maps. I had the educational version of photoshop 5.5 on my computer from a desktop publishing class, but never learned more than the most rudimentary basics since most of the class focused on the Quark Express publishing end.
I dove in blindly and before I knew it, I was hooked – this is so much fun! (I’m lucky my husband is a very understanding man!) Soon realized I was in over my head though and totally unprepared. There is SO-O-O much to learn and never enough time. Spent the last month backtracking and trying to learn about scanning, color calibration (the more I learn, the more confused I get), archival inks/papers, etc., but think (hope?) I finally have a scan/monitor/print workflow that works for me.
Anyway . . . I’m a total photoshop beginner, using on-line tutorials and Eismann’s Restoration and Retouching, whenever I can find/make/steal some time. This is a wonderful forum. Unfortunately, with classes (and my dual-life commuting schedule) starting again this week, I’ll only be able to check in now and again. Thanks in advance for all of the wonderful information!

Ingrid Melissa
Old 10-02-2001, 08:16 PM
Exclamation Greetings and Salutations!!!

Guess I might as well join in this party. Food is quite good, I must say (informationally speaking).

My name is Donald Hill, usually go by Don or Hawkaye. Currently living about as far northwest as you can get in the sunny state of Florida. Got tired of the "cold" winters up around Chattanooga, TN. Currently self-(un)employed, but looking into making a go of image enhancement/manipulation/restoration. LOVE PS, but alas, currently using 5.5 (educational version). Would love to upgrade (get a new car while I'm at it) to 6.0, but might wait for 6.5 :-) Two dogs and a cat and a couple of parents make up the immediate family. Have found this group to be a singularly friendly and informative group (please, don't hold my spelling against me, batteries are dead in the spelling ace). Look forward to share with everyone here, and learning as I go. Hopefully I'll be able to give something back to the group. Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Old 10-20-2001, 09:52 PM
Smile HI :-)

My name is Sandra, I live in beautiful Sydney Australia. I'm self taught in photoshop, or should I say am still learning. I started playing around with manipulation of graphics years ago with my old commodore 64. I did a lot of dtp for my children's school manipulating graphics to suit the topics in the school magazines and the children's writings. I started restoring photos about 2 years ago when I was shown a family tree being compiled by a friend. Some of her photos were badly damaged, one with moth holes eaten right through. I was sure there must be a way that I could improve these photos so I began playing with photoshop. It became a passion and I started my small restoration business a few months ago. My main problem is that I'm a perfeconist, which is good for the customer but it makes it hard to make a profit on the jobs. I would love to learn how to be both a perfectionst and a quick restorer, lol. I have a lot to learn about photo restoration and am grateful for any help I receive. I've already discovered quite a few helpful tips on these forums and am looking forward to one day being good enough to offer my own, till then I'll just read and learn. :-)
Old 11-22-2001, 05:43 PM
deja vue all over again

My name is Pat Griffiths. I signed on nearly a month ago but never drifted through this board before. Skimming through, I see quite a few threads common to mine.
I've been an RN for more than thirty years---most recently in hospice nursing. Since my last patient died about 10 months ago, I haven't worked outside the home; my youngest son is disabled and that complicates life at times. I'm down to two teenagers at home with my oldest four children out (except for semster breaks)
I have only the LE edition of PS...and PS Elements. Switching between programs with different hotkeys is a real nuisance.
My first pc was a hand-me-down from my sister about four years ago. I've always been one who wants to know how stuff works, and that PC with Win3.1 and DOS 4 was just the ticket! Now I build what I want.
Photography has long been a hobby, and genealogy another. Marrying the two is a natural. When my Dad died a couple of years ago I did a memorial collage in his honor. With the photo albums long in our family, but not improving with age, restoration is another natural.
Soooooooooooo much to learn!!! but not enough hours in a day.
Old 12-20-2001, 02:25 AM
Cool Hello!

My name is Christine. This is my first time visiting this site and I thought I would introduce myself! I'm 26 and I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada. I started out as an artist (when I was about 4) and have been creating art ever since then. I've been interested in photography since I was in high school when I started taking photos for the school yearbook and learning how to develop my own photos in the darkroom. I have also been interested in computers since around the same time. My interest in photo retouching started in 1995 when I first tried Photoshop. Over the years I've taught myself the program.

I was introduced to photo retouching as a profession when I was hired to retouch digital photos using Photoshop for a company that produced Virtual Tours for the internet using a technology called IPIX. The work basically consisted of taking two 180-degree fisheye photos and matching the colours and tones so that they would fit together seamlessly. After that I was hired on at a different company as a retoucher, or as they called it "image technician". It was another company that produced Virtual Tours photography for the net, but instead of IPIX we used a program called MGI Photovista to build panoramic photos by taking 12-14 individual photos and then merging or stitching them into one long panoramic image. This is where I really learned a lot as a result of 10-12 hour work days doing nothing but retouching photos, 5-6 days a week for 6 months. The images we were producing were travel photos and the look the company wanted for every image was that of a glossy travel brochure, so even if the original images were not technically very good, taken on cloudy days, or even if the real location didn't look very appealing our job was to make it look bright, sunny, so that when people would see the images they would say "I'd love to go there". Sometimes it took a lot of manipulation to make a place look nice when it really wasn't at all. And everything had to have absolutely no trace of ever being tampered with or it would not be up to the company's standard, so it had to always look realistic. So I learned how to get the best possible results in the quickest possible amount of time. It was a valuable learning experience. If you're interested I have some samples of the kind of images I'm describing check out

For the last year I've worked independantly as a freelance graphic artist, doing retouching, photography, web design, illustration, and basically whatever else looks interesting to me! I'm looking forward to joining in on the forum and trying out some of the challenges. Happy Holidays!
Old 12-29-2001, 07:34 AM
Hello, my name is Phil. This is also my first time here.
I'm 35 and live in the mountains (little ones) near Melbourne, Australia.
I've been into photography for a long time......was doing a commercial and fine art degree in photography but stopped as being partially colorblind, color processing was just doing my head in. I was being too much of a perfectionist and became really frustrated at my inability to produce the colors that everyone else did. Looking back I'd now call it artistic licence..
Be prepared for some interesting interpretations......hehe.
Anyway, learnt hand touching with inks back then.
Been into computer graphics for a few years now as well as .html and flash. Most graphic work has been either for the web, logo's or bits and pieces of graphic design. I love to just open up PS6 when I've got time and just let go.........usually produces a wallpaper or something. I've digitally retouched only a few photo's for family and friends and find it quite a challenge.
Photo manipulation has been a bit of a habit for a while.
Thought I was doing OK until I got onto Katrin Eismanns' site.
So I consider myself a newbie to digital retoughing and am waiting for Amazon to send me Katrin's book.
Ummmm what else.........oh yeah, I spend far too much time in other design forums as an admin/moderator/spammer......hehe.

Nice to meet you all *shakes hands all 'round*

Last edited by Dolby; 12-29-2001 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-17-2002, 03:09 PM
Greetings from The End of the Oregon Trail

Am I the oldest one here? I started in photography in '47 in the ad department of a firm in downtown Chicago ...continued my education courtesy of the USAF at the photography school at Lowery Field in Denver ...and opened the my first studio in Fairfield Ca. in 1952. I bought Bruno's in Portland Oregon in the mid 70's and finally "retired in business" in the mid 90's.

My interest in photography has never dulled and, from the moment I saw that first print coming up in the developer to my most recent attempts at retouching on my newest tool, a Wacom Cintiq, every day in my half century plus career has introduced new wonders.

I have truly enjoyed being able to become a part of forums like this where I can share some of my experiences with others with similar interests at all levels ...and although I can often shed some light on handling the older processes and alternatives, I'm also learning a lot about digital here from the younger generations!

If I have any strong points to offer others in this field, it would probably be in business promotion. I've so often heard that it's difficult to make money in the arts but that certainly doesn't need to be the case! For anyone interested, additional information on my current Photo Conservation business is available in the "About Us" section of the Timemark Netscape Business Card at.

Jim Conway
Old 01-28-2002, 01:31 PM
Smile Introduction

Hello Everyone,
I my name is Kristen Lindsey. I am 27 years old and I live in Sandusky, Ohio on the shores of Lake Erie. I am artist, but I have only recently discovered the joys of digital artwork, thanks to Photoshop 6. I am currently working on becoming a certified web designer. I have been using Photoshop since October of last year, and I have taken classes to improve my skills. What can I say? I am hooked! I am very interested in photo retouching, and I came accross this site by the way of a Yahoo search for tutorials. I think that I will really enjoy the challenges. I have submitted my first one today, the one titled "back to work". Please tell me what you think. I am not sure if it has been posted yet.
Old 02-21-2002, 03:50 PM
Hi everybody,
My name is David Kendal, I'm 15, Home schooled (grade 10, favorite subjects: art, computers) and I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
I've been messing around on computers since my Dad got his first one in '92 (when the only thing I knew how to do was play solitaire) and I've always been very interested in the arts. I started getting more seriously into computers when I was about 11 or 12, when I started using email and learning HTML etc. to create websites.
Last year I got a job at Mcdonalds ( yeah I know its a lame job but hey.. at least its money) and in december I finally had enough pay from my job to get my own computer. Since I was kind of broke after buying it, I've been looking for as much freeware as I can find. One of the programs I found, called "the GIMP" (Its a lot like photoshop but its free), I was really happy to find because I was annoyed by the limitations of most regular photo programs. I've been learning the program mostly by tutorials, and one day my Dad brought me some tutorial files which included some pics and text files from RetouchPro. It looked interesting so I checked out the site. I thought the challenges were a cool Idea so I tried a few, and now I'm totally addicted to these things!
anyway, thats who I am and how I ended up here.

- David
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon