Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

New Members Introductions, Biographical Ramblings Etc

Closed Thread
Old 04-03-2004, 01:35 PM
Terve, Terhi!

We rent a cottage near Heinävesi every year (Iso-Rumukkala? I haven't got the map here, so there may be too few or too many consonants ). Last year for the first time we drove to Kuopio. I've been there before, but not while we've rented this cottage. I remembered it as a wonderful town, and it was. The old town square with a parking house underneath it was a stroke of genius. And yes, my wife is from Turku.
Old 04-04-2004, 12:21 PM

What a wonderful self-introduction.

It sounds like you have an interesting life, have varied interests and we have something in common: An appreciation of Italian food!

Indeed, it's nice to have participation from all corners of the world.

I'm glad you found RetouchPRO, too.

Old 05-22-2004, 05:48 PM
Hi everyone (again!),

Just a few lines to re-introduce myself once again as I've been away from the forum for 2 years (work as a cop and camera club commitments got in the way) and to update those who remember me.

Still married to my first wife; computer is now a desktop replacement laptop; my camera system is 95% Canon with the remaining 5% Mamiya TLR - of which 99% I do digitally; I turned 50 in the past two years (ouch).

Nice to be back and to recognise some of the members names - especially Flora who helped so much in my first attempts back then .

Old 05-22-2004, 09:49 PM
Back in the Saddle Again

Although many members have come and gone, as you discovered some of the original gang is still around and the quality of content is just as good.

Like an old, comfortable pair of slippers, RetouchPRO always feels good.

Welcome back.

Old 05-23-2004, 06:52 PM
Hi Barry!

Welcome back!!!

Old 05-24-2004, 12:47 AM
Sorry I missed this til just now...

Well, here I am. I have been an a mom now for 3 1/2 years and an at home mom since Aug. 2002. I have always been "artsty". Liked to draw and stuff when I was in grade school, and in high school had my first "art" class. Decided to enter a jr. college studying fine arts. Didn't finish (we all make mistakes). Now here I am 26 years old have a 3.5 year old girl and a 6 month old baby boy. And if it were not for my computer and Photoshop CS (birthday peesent from my hubby and mom and sisters this April, before that it was Arcsoft Photompression and then Photoshop Elements) I would absolutely go insane - lol. I love family history (though I never did well in history class - lol). I want to make my way to being able to make a little money to help out with the house bills and spending money here and there, and I like the idea that I can make people happy and help them preserve their history and make money doing what I LOVE!!

AND - I absolutely LOVE Retouch Pro, and vow to do what I can to help support the site (when I can afford it monetarilty and when I can't morally - lol). YOU all are MY school!! Thank you all so much for sharing your vast knowledge with me and everyone else who is fortunate to find their way to this wonderful site!!

Old 05-24-2004, 08:07 AM
Hi Dawn:

Wonderful intro and welcome aboard.

I can understand the need for a creative outlet. As much as I totally love our kids (now 8 and 6), when they were a younger and needed more TLC more often, I relished the hours late a night when it was time for me to play.

It's always nice to have the RetouchPro family grow by one. Glad you found us.

Old 05-25-2004, 03:39 PM
This has been fun to read; makes things a little more personal. For my part...

I grew up in Birmingham Alabama during the 60's. My father was a serious amateur photographer who shot some photos of B-17's while he was a tail gunner in the US 8th Air Force. Several of them have since been widely published. He taught and encouraged me to use his spare Leica rangefinder camera. Somewhere between the age 7 and 10, I bought a Polaroid Swinger camera at a neighborhood yard sale and took pictures of my dogs and some embarrassing pictures of my big sister.
As a teenager I got into rock climbing and then whitewater kayaking and bought a series of SLR's to shoot action. Galen Rowell was emerging as a premiere outdoor photographer and was a major influence on my shooting.
A photojournalist with the Birmingham News noticed some of my stuff and put me to work shooting sports and publicity events... mostly football, moto-cross, tennis and golf but there were some rodeos, a ballon race, kids BMX and other more or less esoteric events. For three years I burned a lot of film and made almost no money. I supported myself by working in a backpacking shop, a veteranary clinic and assisting a commercial product photographer. My laundry room doubled as a B&W darkroom.
I later got a real job in field engineering and traveled to communications sites all over the eastern US including all the NASA centers where I shot all sorts of aircraft and satellite systems in pretty interesting settings... lots of B&W time exposures at night with star filters and lots of lights.
In 1987 I got married, moved to NC, started a business installing computer networks and left my photo equipment in the closet until 1995 when my first kid arrived. I have never had a video camera but I've got enough shots of my kids (the second one came in 1998) to make a full motion video of them growing up.
Becoming a dad changed my perspective quite a bit and after closing my business, losing my marriage and working a high pressure director's job with non-profit NGO, I opened and new business, partnering with a graphic designer. We do what we refer to as 'Creative Services', that is, we design and print highly customized stuff like artistic logos and 'looks', supercool color business cards, gift cards, magazine ads, collectable performance and festival posters and large graphic displays for exhibits and trade shows. We just finished our biggest project so far... for Duke University Health System it's a 20' long, 5' high timeline exhibit containing over a hundred photos.
As time passed, we learned that we are well equipped to digitize just about any image on film or paper, regardless of size. This led us into fine art reproduction and photo restoration.
That is how I came to find RetouchPro; it's the only online community I've ever been compelled to participate in because, for the most part, there are no big egos dominating everything. RP is a genuine community of people who just plain ENJOY helping other people and learning from one another. It really turns me on to see such incredible skill in action simply for the good of others. It's interesting how it's the serious amateurs who seem to possess the greatest body of talent and knowledge. I had to go out and buy Katrin Eismann's Restoration and Retouching book just to see why it is recommended so often here. Now I know, it's everything people say and more; probably the only technique book, on any subject, in which I've ever gone cover to cover.

In final summary, I'm a gloating father of a really cool, sensitive, 9-year old boy and reallyprecious, bright, 6-year old girl. They both facinate me and influence my every waking moment. I never tire of their presence, their questions, their needs or their shenanigans. They are why I live.
I am broke, tired and happy as can possibly be. I live in a house in the woods and drive six miles of country roads to my office in a small, historic, colonial town where everybody knows everybody. I shoot and process pictures with film and digital cameras from 35mm to 4x5, work with images and graphics of all types, make beautifully designed prints and craft all sorts of ways to display them. I work with artists, art directors, curators and other creative professionals. My girlfreind, art director, business partner and future wife is more wonderful than I ever dreamed I would deserve. LIFE IS GOOD.

...did I mention my kids?
Old 05-25-2004, 05:29 PM
oops a little late but here we go

Hi, I have been on this board for a while now, but some how managed to miss this introduction thread. So I decided to have fun with this... so I grabbed the description of my sign from my fav astrology dude and thought I would use that to compare.

"Sagittarians aren't interested in being 'understood'. Most of them are far too busy for introversion. They are easy to please if you've got a dragon to slay or a mountain that needs climbing - but they aren't too fond of the quiet life. When bored, they tend to invent challenges. What they lack in caution, tact and reserve, Sagittarians make up for in enthusiasm, honesty and buoyancy. They take their luck for granted and push it to the limit. Annoyingly, they get away with it. There will always be 'close scrapes' and 'near misses' but things have this uncanny way of working out alright in the end for Sagittarians."

Basically I would say yes that’s me I have chosen to live my life, my way, even if it means I might make things a bit harder on myself, it also can be more interesting..
I love to challenge myself, but less in the physical and more in the learning, and creative aspects of life. It also has been notated over the years that yes I do seem to have a horse shoe inserted somewhere in my anatomy since I am pretty lucky and do get away with a lot

and the working out in the end... well so far so good, guess we will have to see about that one later!

My challenges of late, are all on the computer. Having never taken a course of any kind in computing I taught my self how to build a computer and fix the little weirdness that can arise. I taught myself html encoding and once I discovered digital editing, altering, playing. I was hooked! I am all about the visual and mixing audio and visual elements. Sp computers are amazing to me!!
My background is performance artist, makeup artist, event organizer and now Digital Artist/Editor

So that’s me, the happy bouncy blue haired Canadian chick
And Thanks so much for this site!! And the Challenges within!

Kissed aka CoZmA
Old 05-25-2004, 05:58 PM
Kissed V and Chip:

You feel just like family! Thanks for letting us get to know each of you better.

Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon