RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

New Members Introductions, Biographical Ramblings Etc

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 09:54 PM

Howdy

First I'd like to thank Doug for this site. I've learned and am learning from any and all who use this terrific resource. And I enjoy sharing as welll.

I got into using the computer as a purely self defensive move. My husband and now grown children are/were computerholics. I've learned from books, books, and more books, websites, and experimentation. Good thing I did, because I've recently inherited thousands of genealogy photos, which are just begging for me to play with them.

Unlike many of the people who hang out here, I don't really have a profession. I do NOT enjoy mousework...errr housework...so I spend my time cooking, weaving, spinning fiber, and wool felting...that is when I'm not taking pictures just for fun. I sometimes teach these skills to others and earn a bit on the side that way. I love working with youth and teaching them life skills and watching their self esteem climb as they discover their own potential and worth.

I'm in my early fifties and darn proud of it. I tell my kids I've earned every one of these gray hairs and that if they put each one under a microscope, they would find their names engraved a thousandfold. Snicker.

Although I'm originally from the west, our family now lives in northcentral Arkansas with endless photo opportunities.

That's about all I can bore you with for now.

Oh, P.S. The oppossum on my avatar is an orphan being eyedropper fed by a friend of mine. She thinks we are her Mommy. The cats think we are CRAZY.

Last edited by Janet Petty; 07-30-2004 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:02 PM

Welcome, Janet!

We're so glad you found this special place, and look forward to sharing ideas, techniques, and fun stories.

Your "recently inherited thousands of genealogy photos" is a true treasure! You might even find a couple that you could upload for people here to work on and give ideas on how they might approach any retouching/restoration needs.

I loved your comment about telling your kids that you've "earned every one of these gray hairs and that if they put each one under a microscope, they would find their names engraved a thousandfold." Even if they helped turn it gray, it's a nice thought to imagine your name engraved forever on each of your mother's hairs.

Hope the orphan oppossum is still doing well -- they are adorable.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:40 AM

I was wondering what everyone here did for a living and how each of you got into digital editing. It's been fascinating to read about all of you. I'd like it if those who have not yet introduced themselves on the site would do so. I could say I'm curious, but really I'm just nosy

About me- I'm 41, a single working mom and living in Virginia (not a Southerner by birth- I'm a transplant Yank)

As I was going through a seperation from my husband, I began going to college (since it was going to be up to me to feed two kids). Originally, I was going to be a middle school teacher, then changed my major to art education. I worked at an espresso stand as the only employee other than the owner. He had a Mac in the backroom which we would use to make signage and the like. It was there I got my first taste of the fascinating world of Macintosh and graphic design. I changed my major to fine arts with an emphasis on graphic design.

I graduated in 1999 and went to work for the same company I'm with now- a big corporation with offices around the world. In our little piece of the company, we produce online courseware contractually for government and defense industries.

It's been a reliable, steady job and I managed to still have one after the dotcom crash, so I'm grateful. However, the creativity quotient is not high in my job. So, I get that out in other ways- mostly oil painting and music.

Because my job is contractual, there are times when I am so busy I cannot look up from the screen, and times when I'm waiting to proceed on a new contract and have nothing to do. That's when you folks get flooded with posts from me I apologize if I get to be a nuisance.

Not only do I get a huge amount of enjoyment from this site, but it is also great practice and I've learned tons of new techniques I can use in my job as well as my paintings.

I have wanted to open my own business for so long now and I thought I would only have to work in a corporate environment for a short time until I could do it myself. The industry changed, though, and I am the sole provider for my family, so I'm staying where the health insurance is for now (grin). I admire and envy those of you who get to do this for a living and/or who work for yourself. Although I'm sure even that has it's drawbacks.

Can those of you who do work independently tell me what is the best thing/ worst thing about working on your own?

It's been wonderful to meet all of you, and I look forward to knowing you more.

Donna
Old 08-27-2004, 07:13 PM

Hello! I thought I would stick my neck out and introduce myself. I stumbled across this site a few weeks ago, and have been hooked since.

My name is Ellen, and I live in south central Ohio. I am married to a great guy, and we have 4 kids and full time jobs...we lead pretty uneventful lives! Only our 8-year-old son is home full time, so we aren't as busy as it sounds.

I have been working almost 10 years as a 9-1-1 Operator/Police Dispatcher. While it can be interesting work, it isn't very creative. Unless you count dealing with drunks and reprobates creative. I have worked the midnight shift for the entire time I have done this job, which seems like forever some days.

Before this I was active duty in the USAF and worked as a Russian linguist in the intel field. After having 3 children in three different countries it was time to settle down in the States, and we landed in Ohio.

As much as I appreciate the fact that I am gainfully employed in an interesting field, I do miss the opportunity to be creative. So I create as a hobby. Crafts, decorating, writing...you get the picture.

My brother is a photographer who introduced me to Photoshop a couple of years ago. I learned a bit then but then life got in the way of my self-education, as life tends to do! I have been looking for a way to appease both sides of my brain, and Photoshop does that! Lots of creativity and artistry combined with the technical aspects...my brain is so happy these days.

Not sure what I hope to do with my newfound hobby, but that's okay. I just want to get as good as I can, and this site is helping me with that. I am constantly awed by the level of talent here, which is matched only by the level of friendliness shown by all you kind folks. I look forward to getting to know you all.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:20 PM

Quote:
...I do miss the opportunity to be creative. So I create as a hobby. Crafts, decorating, writing...you get the picture.

Not sure what I hope to do with my newfound hobby, but that's okay. I just want to get as good as I can...
Ellen:

I'm glad you took the time to write uch a nice intro. Like you, I was seeking a creative outlet as balance for a "techie job."

Your absence of concern for where your new hobby will take you gives you the freedom to find your nitch naturally -- and I think that's terrific approach. I can tell already you'll enjoy everyday getting to wherever you end up going.

Continued fun, learning and success.

~Danny~
Old 12-04-2004, 11:28 AM

Name's Sue. pleased to meet you!

Hello All

Just enjoying a mooch through this Super site, and paused to say Hi Although new to PS was hooked from day one ~ I live in the wilds of Northern England being an Antiques Dealer on a good day lol I love Travel, and capturing those special moments with my last venture Hicking in The Breath taking Grand Canyon, and my Travels taking me to India in February

Looking forward to getting to know you all

Sue x
Old 12-04-2004, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by why not
Hello All

Just enjoying a mooch through this Super site, and paused to say Hi Although new to PS was hooked from day one ~ I live in the wilds of Northern England being an Antiques Dealer on a good day lol I love Travel, and capturing those special moments with my last venture Hicking in The Breath taking Grand Canyon, and my Travels taking me to India in February

Looking forward to getting to know you all

Sue x
Hello Sue!

The Grand Canyon is indeed awesome. Being from the Seattle area, I'm a little closer to it than you and each time I see it the beauty and wonder still amaze me.

You live in a beautiful part of the country and if you'er into sports, I'll bet you've relished Superbowl and World Series victories in recent years. Stay warm until February!

Welcome aboard, learn lots and have fun here at RP...
~Danny~
Old 12-04-2004, 02:48 PM

Danny, I think Sue's from North East England, not New England. To my knowledge, we don't have any teams in the Superbowl or World Series in England, NE or otherwise. But agree with you both about the Grand Canyon.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Richardson
Danny, I think Sue's from North East England, not New England. To my knowledge, we don't have any teams in the Superbowl or World Series in England, NE or otherwise. But agree with you both about the Grand Canyon.
Ah, yes. Fingers were typing before the brain totally engaged (again). OK... cancel all that drivel about sports!
Old 12-08-2004, 05:20 AM

Hello, again!

I was looking for a sketch technique when I came across this site called Retouch Pro.

I found Danny's sketch technique, was reading through the thread and the first reply was by this bloke called Collinf - ME! I used to play along here a while ago so logged in. It says that the last time I visited was 07-15-2003 at 01.57 PM. Wow! 17 months away - is that a record?

So, I thought I'd better re-introduce myself.

I live in the South of the UK, I am now a part-time semi-pro wedding photographer, shooting digital and using PS to post process images.

I haven't played with images the way you guys do for about a year and I'd forgotten how much fun it is. I am looking forward to catching up with everything that's happened in the last year or so, getting back into things and taking part in some of the challenges here.

So, Hi!!

Collin
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon