RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

New Members Introductions, Biographical Ramblings Etc

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 07:50 AM

okay, I guess it's my turn...

Hi all, my name's Moshe and I'm a federal employee who happens to be addicted to Photoshop. From the day I first got my hands on a copy and thought that slapping a single Brush Strokes filter on a photo was art... I knew then that Photoshop and I were meant to be together. Then, 10 years and a freelance/hobbyist Illustration career later, I got married. Yes, to a real woman and I'm trying to balance the two loves of my life.
So... glad to be here and looking forward to learning even more from you all than I already have.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:49 AM

Collin:

Welcome back. Don't stay away so long next time! (LOL)

- - - - - -

Moshe:

Congratuations on getting married and finding our happy little place here. Glad you have two loves in your life. This PS fun can become a little addictive, so keep it in check and your priorities in order!

Welcome and may you have lots of fun experimenting, exploring and creating.

~Danny~
Old 12-08-2004, 10:17 AM

Howdy

My real name is Andy. But that requires a little explanation:

I've traded under the name Michael Chamberlain since I had a customer get angry because I only handed him 8 of the 24 pictures I shot and thought several hundred dollars in vandalism would make up for the 16 pictures he was "missing". Long story, not fun, all better now.

Now back to present reality, I'm 23 years old from the Midwestern United States, living in Knoxville, Tennessee. I've loved taking pictures since my parents got me my first camera at the age of 4. Remember those old cartridges that didn't get rewound and were about 70mm diagonally? I was about ten when I "borrowed" my dad's K-1000. He bought a Canon, so I never returned it. The shutter timer was damaged flying to China where I taught English for a while. (Imagine getting back from a one month teaching trip in CHINA and finding out that ALL 123 ROLLS OF FILM you shot were completely useless. No sightseeing, no travel photos, and worst of all no pictures of my students).

Anyway, I now have a ZX-M and should have a *ist-DS any day now. I started playing with Photoshop (4 I think) right after I got my first scanner. I hold a Bachelor’s degree in Media Communications and now work as a web application designer/graphics geek at a private college while I get my associates degree in Computer Network Systems Technology. Eventual goal, maintain a web hosting service and some design and programming assistance to pay the bills while I retouch and master photos.

Wow, that was really long. Sorry about that. Take care and don’t be afraid to say “Hi” if you see me.

Michael
Old 12-08-2004, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBChamberlain
My real name is Andy. But that requires a little explanation:

I've traded under the name Michael Chamberlain since I had a customer get angry because I only handed him 8 of the 24 pictures I shot and thought several hundred dollars in vandalism would make up for the 16 pictures he was "missing". Long story, not fun, all better now.

Now back to present reality, I'm 23 years old from the Midwestern United States, living in Knoxville, Tennessee. I've loved taking pictures since my parents got me my first camera at the age of 4. Remember those old cartridges that didn't get rewound and were about 70mm diagonally? I was about ten when I "borrowed" my dad's K-1000. He bought a Canon, so I never returned it. The shutter timer was damaged flying to China where I taught English for a while. (Imagine getting back from a one month teaching trip in CHINA and finding out that ALL 123 ROLLS OF FILM you shot were completely useless. No sightseeing, no travel photos, and worst of all no pictures of my students).

Anyway, I now have a ZX-M and should have a *ist-DS any day now. I started playing with Photoshop (4 I think) right after I got my first scanner. I hold a Bachelor’s degree in Media Communications and now work as a web application designer/graphics geek at a private college while I get my associates degree in Computer Network Systems Technology. Eventual goal, maintain a web hosting service and some design and programming assistance to pay the bills while I retouch and master photos.

Wow, that was really long. Sorry about that. Take care and don’t be afraid to say “Hi” if you see me.

Michael
Michael:

It sounds like you've had an interesting life so far with your travels and varied experiences. Your expertise and interests make RP a great place for you to continue learning and having fun.

I'm glad you jumped in with an intro.

~Danny~
Old 12-09-2004, 06:31 PM

Smile Introducin my self

Hey
I thought ill start introducing myself here in the salon first

im 19 years old danish guy. bin working seriusly with digital photography the last 5-6 montsh. Not much but alot more experience will come over the next years

I just found this cool site and have alot of questions ill ask in the forums if i cant find the answer already. Here is a few:
Actions: how to make a layerstes with all layers opend.
Whats your bedst sharpening method? (labcolor highpass and so on..)
best way of soften a photo in ps
Your other editing programs you wouldnt be without (NN, neatimage genius and so)
also something about the fashion style of editing.

Ill be using the weekend looking around the site so if there is a special challenge or a gallery you think youll bring to my atention please send me a pm.

My website and my gallery if you will take a look at the new kid in site
Old 12-11-2004, 10:06 PM

Intro- I'm rambling on

Hi Everyone!
I'm very pleased to have found this forum! I just wish I had more time to
participate! What an incredible wealth of talent, knowledge and information.
I find it overwhelming, Information overload, and it's pure heaven!

Art has been a treasured hobby my whole life and my photography evolved from a need to have reference material for my art. Although I am not a very
prolific artist I have sold a few pieces and done a few commissions over the
years. My photography has surprised me, I have always enjoyed taking pictures and have had the good fortune to be designated the official photographer for a few small outdoor dogshows in the last 3 years. It was a lot of fun. Went digital about 2 years ago... When I get some time I am going to take a photography course, and then maybe I'll have an idea what I'm doing! I have a lot to learn about retouching and restoring photos and most of the time just fiddle around until things 'look about right'. Some advice would be very valuable to me.

I bought my first computer in 1995 and started playing with Corel Photopaint.
Up until a year ago I primarily used Corel Photopaint for web graphics and
imaging work. I have done a few websites for friends and offer linkware web
graphics for German Shepherd enthusists on my GRRRfix website (really have to update it...) Last year my interest in Digital Art got a kick start with the
acquisition of Photopaint, Painter and a TABLET! I LOVE MY TABLET! of course then I had to get a better camera and that brings me to where I am now, got some tools but still have a whole lot more to learn.

personal stuff..
I have a 19 year old daughter and have been married 23 years, currently we
have 3 German Shepherds and one cat. We go hiking and camping anytime we can get away. My daughter and I both are very involved in training and showing dogs, we have shown in Conformation, Obedience and this past year discovered Agility.

My PBase webspace

Is it against policy to post the digital artwork I have done here on ReTouchPRO on my pBase site? in it's own gallery with a desciption that it was done for ReTouchPRO?

Sherry
Old 12-13-2004, 02:01 PM

I guess it's my turn. Hi all. I've been working by myself for awhile and I thought I knew something about Photoshop, but then I encountered this forum and some of the tutorials and wow; I guess I'd gotten kind of stale and staid in my technique (!). I think I've learned more in the past weekend than in the previous 6 months.

My background: I'm 44 years old, happily married with two great kids, have a couple of degrees in Computer Science (UIUC), and I'm a software engineer for a large multi-national computer corporation known for its propensity for the color blue. For the past several years my wife has had a business doing website development for legal professionals and I often help out with the design end (here are a couple of my designs:

http://www.accl.org/

http://www.laborlaw.org/

), hence my familiarity with Photoshop. Over the past few months I've found myself spending more and more time simply 'playing' with Photoshop and misc plug-ins (KPT and so forth) and sometimes the results are kind of attractive. I think. I've taken to documenting this kind of thing on my weblog at http://8128.org/ or here's a link directly to the Artwork page I just set up:

http://8128.org/artgallery.php

What else? I live in Austin, Texas, I've been a computer geek since 1973, I've been on the Internet since 1980, I taught computer graphics when I was in graduate school, and I'm a nut about motorcycles, synthesizers, and science fiction.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernshadow
Hi Everyone!
I'm very pleased to have found this forum! I just wish I had more time to
participate! What an incredible wealth of talent, knowledge and information.
I find it overwhelming, Information overload, and it's pure heaven!

Art has been a treasured hobby my whole life and my photography evolved from a need to have reference material for my art. Although I am not a very
prolific artist I have sold a few pieces and done a few commissions over the
years. My photography has surprised me, I have always enjoyed taking pictures and have had the good fortune to be designated the official photographer for a few small outdoor dogshows in the last 3 years. It was a lot of fun. Went digital about 2 years ago... When I get some time I am going to take a photography course, and then maybe I'll have an idea what I'm doing! I have a lot to learn about retouching and restoring photos and most of the time just fiddle around until things 'look about right'. Some advice would be very valuable to me.

I bought my first computer in 1995 and started playing with Corel Photopaint.
Up until a year ago I primarily used Corel Photopaint for web graphics and
imaging work. I have done a few websites for friends and offer linkware web
graphics for German Shepherd enthusists on my GRRRfix website (really have to update it...) Last year my interest in Digital Art got a kick start with the
acquisition of Photopaint, Painter and a TABLET! I LOVE MY TABLET! of course then I had to get a better camera and that brings me to where I am now, got some tools but still have a whole lot more to learn.

personal stuff..
I have a 19 year old daughter and have been married 23 years, currently we
have 3 German Shepherds and one cat. We go hiking and camping anytime we can get away. My daughter and I both are very involved in training and showing dogs, we have shown in Conformation, Obedience and this past year discovered Agility.

My PBase webspace

Is it against policy to post the digital artwork I have done here on ReTouchPRO on my pBase site? in it's own gallery with a desciption that it was done for ReTouchPRO?

Sherry
Hi Sherry:

I read your mini-bio with interest. Welcome aboard.

re: Putting art generated from pics here at RP on you pBase gallery
If a RP an image you use notes a photographer or a website source (some do, others don't), if you include that, you should be OK.

Hope you learn a lot and have gobs of fun here.

~Danny~
Old 12-13-2004, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig8128
I guess it's my turn. Hi all. I've been working by myself for awhile and I thought I knew something about Photoshop, but then I encountered this forum and some of the tutorials and wow; I guess I'd gotten kind of stale and staid in my technique (!). I think I've learned more in the past weekend than in the previous 6 months.

My background: I'm 44 years old, happily married with two great kids, have a couple of degrees in Computer Science (UIUC), and I'm a software engineer for a large multi-national computer corporation known for its propensity for the color blue. For the past several years my wife has had a business doing website development for legal professionals and I often help out with the design end (here are a couple of my designs:

http://www.accl.org/

http://www.laborlaw.org/

), hence my familiarity with Photoshop. Over the past few months I've found myself spending more and more time simply 'playing' with Photoshop and misc plug-ins (KPT and so forth) and sometimes the results are kind of attractive. I think. I've taken to documenting this kind of thing on my weblog at http://8128.org/ or here's a link directly to the Artwork page I just set up:

http://8128.org/artgallery.php

What else? I live in Austin, Texas, I've been a computer geek since 1973, I've been on the Internet since 1980, I taught computer graphics when I was in graduate school, and I'm a nut about motorcycles, synthesizers, and science fiction.
Craig:

Your background resembles mine in many ways...
* I'm a little older than you
* Two kids
* Worked with computers since 1976
* Spent several years working for software manufacturer many love to hate, based in Redmond, WA

I'm glad you've found an outlet for your creative side. Exercise it with gusto, here.

Welcome to RetouchPRO.

~Danny~
Old 12-20-2004, 03:11 PM

Hi everyone,

I have been visiting this site for a couple months now and am in love! By posting to the challenges and reading the tutorials, I have learned so much. I figured it was time to introduce myself. I am 34 and live in the foothills of North Carolina. I worked as an RN for 5 1/2 years, but can no longer work due to health problems. I just got married for the second time and got an instant family in the process, a husband and two beautiful step-children.

I have only been using photoshop for about six months and just got interested in taking pictures and retouching/restoring. I have always aspired to be an artist, but have never had a talent for drawing, painting, music etc. Since working with digital images I find that it is an art form and one that even I can do!

I want to thank everyone at this site for their honesty and direction without being sarcastic or condescending like on some other sites. This is a great place to hang out!
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon