Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

New Members Introductions, Biographical Ramblings Etc

Closed Thread
Old 12-20-2004, 02:29 PM
Hi Angie,

Welcome to RP!

Originally Posted by Angie B
.....have never had a talent for drawing, painting, music etc. Since working with digital images I find that it is an art form and one that even I can do!....
...same here .... .... and discovered it by chance just over four years ago, when trying to 'prepare' something funny for a friend's birthday .... got ' hooked' ... and here I am ....
Old 12-20-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by Angie B
Hi everyone,

I have been visiting this site for a couple months now and am in love! By posting to the challenges and reading the tutorials, I have learned so much. I figured it was time to introduce myself. I am 34 and live in the foothills of North Carolina. I worked as an RN for 5 1/2 years, but can no longer work due to health problems. I just got married for the second time and got an instant family in the process, a husband and two beautiful step-children.

I have only been using photoshop for about six months and just got interested in taking pictures and retouching/restoring. I have always aspired to be an artist, but have never had a talent for drawing, painting, music etc. Since working with digital images I find that it is an art form and one that even I can do!

I want to thank everyone at this site for their honesty and direction without being sarcastic or condescending like on some other sites. This is a great place to hang out!
Hello, Angie:

Thanks for taking the time for writing the nice mini-bio. You've definitely found the right place for having a little fun and learning a lot without risk of ridicule.

All of us started at the same place with Photoshop (the beginning) and believe me I remember how frustrating it can be. Whatever problem you might be having at the moment is one others have probably already worked through. so don't hesitate to tap into and leverage the considerable RP member talent pool -- and save yourself some frustration.

re: Being able to express yourself artistically w/o a lot of traditional painting/drawing skills.
Been there, done that myself. I'd give myself high marks for stick figures, but not much beyond that. I'm truly amazed on a regular basis at how creative one can be with Photoshop and a few filters and plugins. I hope you'll join us in the Photo-art forum. Rookies are especially welcome.

Welcome aboard...

Old 01-06-2005, 12:26 PM
New member says hi!

Just saying Hi to everybody! Wayne
Old 01-06-2005, 12:35 PM
Hi Wayne, welcome to RP. Look forward to seeing some posts from you. Everyone here is friendly and helpful, there's no question too dumb or too difficult that you don't get help. Another contributor from this side of the pond is always welcome.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:44 PM
Welcome to RetouchPro Wayne! You will quickly see what a great site this is. There is so much to learn here and the members are quick to help you out if you ever need any tips.

Old 01-06-2005, 03:20 PM
Well well well, a fellow South Walian.

Welcome to the forum. I have only been here a few weeks, but have been made welcome in a flash and have not looked back since.

So where abouts in Swansea are you from ? I lived in Swansea until last year, but now live up the road in Bridgend.

Feel free to send me a private message and have a chit chat.

Take Care and once again a huge welcome.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:52 PM
Hi Wayne, there's a warm welcome from the RP hillsides too! I have many a happy memory of Welsh Rugby Fans in Edinburgh, Scotland singing at the drop of a hat - stirring stuff!

Hope you'll jump right in and have some fun here.

Iechyd da
Old 03-13-2005, 03:00 PM
Here's Me!!

I'm well overdue to formally introduce myself. I really kept meaning to do it, but something would always catch my eye here, and then there I would be, lost again in the warm depths of this site. Anyway, my name is Jessy and I'm 33. I have a 13 year old daughter from a previous marriage, and a soon-to-be 2 year old son from my much better present one. I have always loved photography. I got my first camera when I was 5 and haven't stopped snapping away since. I was really bad with getting rolls developed, so a year ago I bought a digital(Minolta Dimage s414), and I love it. The used computer I purchased several years ago had PS6 installed on it, but I didn't really know what I had. I tried to figure it out and even looked at some classes online, but got frustrated and gave up too quickly. Then a friend told me how to use the clone stamp, and there I went, stamping away! One day my neighbor's grandfather passed away and she asked me to see what I could do to fix up a picture of him and his buddies from WWII that she wanted to display at his funeral. I told her I'd give it a shot, and only ended up making the picture slightly better. At this point in time, I had dreams of starting a restoration/retouch business, but I was discouraged with my work on her picture. Shortly later, my Sister-in-law sent me a picture of my deceased Father-in-law with some minor damage and I fixed it without too much difficulty. This gave me confidence again as I realized that the first picture I had worked on was just very damaged. So I set off to try to start my own business. I got and completed one restoration job using ONLY the clone stamp! I knew there had to be a better way, so I went searching and here I am!! I read and read and read. Imagine my surprise when I found out about layers! I was overwhelmed and still am at times, but I only felt like giving up once. At the time, I did not have the courage to speak to anyone here, but kept on reading. It was everyone's warm welcome, and eagerness to help anyone that kept me coming back. I want to thank all of you who made me feel welcome personally, and also those who did and didn't know it. And of course, a very big thank you to Doug for having this wonderful place.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:27 PM

Every time I think I've seen all the forums in this massive RP treasure box, I stumble into another! Guess it would have been rather polite to introduce myself before diving right into the RP jewels, but I've always done things a big backwards. So here goes..
Hello, I'm Teri! I'm 40 (as of a few days ago) and live in the Houston, Texas area of the big blue marble, with my husband and our zoo. No children, unless you count the hubby, who's a Crash/Rescue Firefighter. No bigger kids walk the planet than these fellas. Tried to toss him back, married him again though. He's a keeper! We do have a housefull of critters, that keep us busy.
I am an avid genealogist, have a massive vintage photo collection, (ambrotypes, deguerrotypes, CDV's etc.) and like to combine the two interests by tracking down the families of photographs I come across that are identified, and returning them to their rightful families. Warm fuzzies are a lovely thing. Last count we have returned just over 200 photographs to family members.
I've been digitally restoring photographs for a number of years now, and enjoy it immensely. I'm not nearly as arrogant as I once was about my craft, after stumbling into the plithora of talented individuals I've found on RP, however, I'm enjoying the experience immensely! Everyone has been very kind, and I truly enjoy seeing everyone's work.
Think that's about enough babble for now!
Old 05-23-2005, 10:59 PM
Oh, There's an Introductions forum?

LOL Well, Here I have finally happened upon the introductions forum. Joining the ranks of those who got lost in everything that is RetouchPro, I never saw this til tonight. Oh well, here I am.

My name is Dawn. I am 27, and I live in a small town in central Mississippi. I am a stay at home mother of two, a 4-year-old girl and a 1-year-old boy.
I have always loved art in its many forms. My mother has always been very artistic, and encouraging of my artistic abilities. Between my Sophomore and Junior years I attended Mississippi Governor's School, a summer program for gifted high school students that gives them a chance to experience a college setting and earn some college credits. The classes I chose were Photojournalism and an art theory class. I met a young woman who loved Fine Art photography, and this really got me started. I learned how to develop black and white film, and to make prints. Sadly it was the only time I woudl ever even to today be in a darkroom. I continued taking some photos, but mostly let it go since I did not have a darkroom at my disposal (cheap school district) and could not experiment as I wished to. But I continually vowed SOME DAY! After high school I attended a community college for about a semester and a half and studied fine art while I was there. I learned how much watercolors were NOT just for kids, how much I love pottery, although it stil remains on my SOME DAY list, and that I could not live without some form of artistic expression, the bigger the better.
I remember when I first heard of Photoshop, and I believe it was actually when it first came out, and I wanted that SOOOO much. But had to resort to some program that came with my mom's computer, and I fixed an old photo of my SO's mom as a baby, the only one in existance, and I loved that feeling. Finally for my 26th birthday I got Photoshop CS from my wonderful family, and for Christmas this past year I got a new printer and a 300GB external HD for pic storage, and just last month, for my 27th birthday, I got my first digital camera, a 5MP Kodak DX 4530. I am in love all over again.
I LOVE RetouchPro. I love you all who come here and share, who encourage people like me to try new things, or old things in a new way, and who are so paitent and willing to help with even the silliest of questions.
Also, I have dreams of starting my own business. Not only do I love photo restoration and retouching and photoreaphy, but I paint murals and fix computers. If I could live until I was done living I woudl die havign been a professional photographer, a master painter and sculpter, a microbiologist, a physicist(I LOVE physics - my brain is like a natural physics computer - lol) a computer programmer, a teacher, a novelist, a poet, and a factory worker, but for now I am happy being mommy, and that is a whole 'nother list!! LoL

I am so glad to be here.

Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon