Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

New Members Introductions, Biographical Ramblings Etc

Closed Thread
Old 05-25-2005, 04:43 AM
This is a long overdue introduction.

HI. I’m soleah.

I’m 37 years old. I was born and raised in the Philippines. I also lived in the Northern Marianas for 4 years where I met my husband. We’re currently living in Guam with my 2-½ year old son.

I have a bachelors degree in Computer Science. I’ve been in the IT profession for over 10 years. In 2001, I’ve settled on what I thought was a less stressful job of being a stay-at-home mom.

To pass my time, I took up a short course in web design. Bought tons of books and read it from cover to cover. I used adobe photoshop then for a little photo/image manipulation to be used for the web.

When my son was a year old, I undertook the task of compiling a book for our family tree. I’ve collected a lot of old pictures from my large family. That’s when I realize that I have to do something about those old pictures. I bought Katrin Eismann’s “Photoshop Restoration and Retouching”. That’s where I learned about this site.

The information here in RP, I believe, is as deep as the Marianas Trench. And it keeps getting deeper everyday, I don’t think I’ll ever reached the bottom of it. Maybe 2 or 3 years down the road, I’ll still consider myself a newbie!

I kept coming back to this site most of all because the people here are very friendly, courteous and very willing to help and to share what they know. I hope I could be just as good and just as helpful.

What else…hmmm. English is not my natural language. Much as I want to help, sometimes, I couldn’t find the proper words to express myself. That’s another thing I have to work on.

It’s nice to meet all of you!
Old 05-31-2005, 04:21 PM
Just found this site...please allow me to introduce myself...

Hello everyone!

My name is Tracy and my husband and I own and operate a small photography studio in Massachusetts. We specialize in nature and fine art portraits. We also offer fine art giclee printing services to other photographers and artists who seeking hihg-quality, accurate prints of their work.

We both have technical backgrounds (me - engineering, programming and design, him - computer technology) and our love of photography grew from a long-time hobby to a growing business. We both decided that the rat race was becoming just too much and we want more out of life than sitting in an office or spending countless hours on the road commuting.

I am the lucky one since I am now able to do the photography and printing full-time. My husband, however, still maintains his high-salaried computer job and will do so only as long as he has to.

My eye for placement, color and light is balanced by my desire to get things "technically correct". We use Nikon digital cameras (the D2X is AWESOME!) and Epson Wide Format Inkjet printers. Even in the digital world, we constantly strive to get the image correct in the camera and do as little manipulation as possible in PS. That sometimes isn't always the case! :-)

My husband never considered himself the "creative type" yet, thorugh the years, I have seen him take beautifully creative photographs! We are an amazing team and I am thrilled that we have started this business and look forward to all the photographs we will create together!

Old 06-01-2005, 03:50 AM
Hiya gang!

I joiined awhile back and was a bonafied lurker. I then lost this website in a sea of bookmarks. I slapped myself in the head when I came across this place again. *HELLO* I forgot what a great resource this place is! You guys are awesome and I love the kicked back environment here.

I plan on resuming lurk mode! Hopefully I have learned enough in the past few months to contribute where I can. PS is a neverending learning curve and the stuff in here only makes it easier.

Thanks for making such a great place to hang out!
Old 06-01-2005, 08:42 AM
Question Starting out!

I figured I should make my first post here for lack of any better place right now.

Some biographical information: I am 36 and a freelance musician in Southern Ontario. When I am not out playing with orchestras I am at home with my kids; 7 and 3 years old. I've got two dogs--labrador retrievers.

As the title says, I'm starting out and hoping to make a go of a new business for me. As I said, I am currently a freelance musician in southern Ontario, Canada and recently discovered the joys of photography, photo editing, restoration and retouching. I have done several projects--large and small--for family with much positive feedback. It is something I thoroughly enjoy and would like to turn into some income to fill the gaps in my musical freelance schedule.

I would love any and all advice that you have to offer about this venture.

I am currently using a Canon Canoscan 9950F hooked up to my iMac G5. Running photoshop elements 2.0 as well as GIMPshop. iPhoto for my photo collection. I use a Canon Rebel 2000 film SLR for my own photography stuff.

I have so many questions it's unbelievable but not sure if I should start a separate thread or stick to this one. I have been doing some browsing and searching so not sure if I should throw another "starting out" thread on the fire as it were. Ahhhh! Help!
Old 06-01-2005, 09:09 AM
Hello Tracy, Sheba and Smiley Guy. Welcome to RP.

Don't be shy about asking questions or adding comments. Smiley, feel free to start new threads; the moderators will move them to the forum in which they'll get the most attention.

We learn as much from questions as we do from answers. Also, this forum would be much smaller if we only posted perfect, completed work. We learn by following along in the creative process.

I look forward to seeing more from all of you!

Old 06-01-2005, 12:05 PM
Hi Tracy, Sheba and Smiley Guy, welcome to RP.

Well, you've broken the ice now, interesting to read about you all.

As MaryLynn says, this is a learning forum. We learn as much from you, as you do from us, so please post on any topics that interest you.

Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question, the only thing that's dumb is not asking.

Have fun, look forward to seeing your posts.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:23 AM
Hello. My name is Rocky, and I'm a recent Photoshop enthusiast, and enjoy editing digital fotos. In addition to all the basics with this PS, I've become interested in making my photographs look like paintings, which I believe puts me in the domain of Photo Art. I live in Portland, Oregon where I work in IT at a local university. I look forward to participating in these forums.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:58 PM
Hi Rocky,

Welcome to RP. I'm not into Photo Art myself, but Danny and the others are a really friendly and helpful bunch, and I'm sure they'll make you welcome.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:20 AM

Hi all,

My name's Cathie (like I figure you may have worked that out already) and I am addicted to exclamation marks!!

This looks like a wonderful place to hang out - the first thread I opened was the June Comp ... I downloaded the bug - looked at some of the entries while I was waiting ... and changed my mind ... hey there's only a few hours to go!!

I have a Canon S1_IS camera, and love taking photos, but as well as the "darkroom" stuff for the camera, I love the boundless fun you can have with PS et al.

The other members of my family (after the camera) are: one diesel mechanic husband, one 14 year old female stepdaughter and one five year old male child!! I work part time, and so as you can imagine, do my best work after dark .... (read, when everyone else has gone to bed and left me in peace!!)

I look forward to learning stuff here and hope I will soon be able to contribute something back ..

Old 07-14-2005, 07:27 AM
Smile Tom Atkinson

My name is Tom Atkinson. I live in EAst Point (Atlanta), GA. A year and half ago, I decided to return to school to train for something new! Currently I am a student at American InterContential University, majoring in Graphic Design. However, I have developed a passion about restoring old Photos, which is what led me to discover this website (awesome place!). I'm 50 years old, single and also work for AIU part time. I am looking forward to being more involved in this forum in the future.
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon