Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

New Members Introductions, Biographical Ramblings Etc

Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2005, 09:03 AM
My Intro

My name is Bill. I have been involved with PS before it was PS. It was front end scanner software for a barneyscan film scanner. Thats going back many years.
I have been involved in prepress/imaging since 1981. I am cuurently an operations manager for a professional color lab in SF. Finding RetouchPro is a gold mine of info. I have always admired what highend digital retouchers can do and really enjoy reading the posts. I am just a newbie at restoration and retouching. Thanks for the informative site. I look foward to participating to the forum
Old 07-26-2005, 11:26 PM
The first day of school...

Another new face to add to the body of talent. I'm a 30ish photographer from the midwest in the U.S. and I'm always looking for new tools for my skill set. I work as a photographer and I freelance as a photog on the side and I'm also doing restorations. I'm pretty fair in PS, but there is always more to learn. I am joining this forum for knowledge on equipment and techniques.

I'm a Virgo, I like long walks in the park and

I've been shooting since '92 and went "PRO" in the sense that I make my living shooting photographs...not "PRO" as in "knows it all" in 2002.

My summer vacation...I went to the lake and swam and saw a snake...

I shoot many differnt types of subjects, people, places, food, products and what ever else gets in the way.

I also like to laugh...

Current projects... working up two weddings, two restorations and one "Please remove my ex from this picture of me and my truck." Along with hundreds of smaller photo jobs for my day job.

I'm looking forward to reading all the threads and if there is something I know and think it will be useful I'll share. Please do the same.

Old 07-27-2005, 04:31 PM
Ooh! I love threads like this, don't mind if I take advantage.

My name is Robert Martens (bet you'd never figure that out), I'm twenty-one years old, and I'm a plumber's helper on Long Island. I'm lucky enough to work for my father, which has been a wonderfully rewarding experience. Three, maybe three and a half years of my training down, another four and I can get my license in New York City, where most of our work is done. That training will, unfortunately, be interrupted by about two years of education in the field of electrical engineering at the local community college (if I can pass the math tests, that is). I love plumbing, and fully intend to get that license, but I'd like to cover all my bases, you know? Have as many prospects as possible, that kinda thing, and a grounding--pun intended--in both electricity AND water, two things that normally don't go together very well.

Never been much of a photographer, really. I took a photography course in high school which was very helpful, at least at the time. I've since forgotten everything I learned, and have yet to use the Nikon D70 camera my parents got me for the class. In addition to that camera, I've got a cheapy Kodak EasyShare digital camera that, while hardly professional, has produced some of my favorite photos--mostly of our cats being cute. The limitations of such a camera provide, if nothing else, an opportunity to practice my photo enhancing skills. Hey, it's convenient, and if it's a less-than-perfect photo versus none at all, I'll take what I can get.

I've become interested in filmmaking over the past few years, though I find I'm more interested in purchasing and learning to use expensive toys, then breaking them in a fit of temper when I get angry with myself--for some completely unrelated, trivial matter--realizing that "I don't deserve this stuff". As an aside, I have a penchant for the dramatic when speaking about myself, and find myself playing the part of victim all too often. Anyway, I'm finding many of the lessons learned with regard to color grading video and film footage, among other things, can be applied to photo restoration/retouching, and vice versa.

I have a website, for some strange reason, that was originally intended for all the short films I was gonna produce, but to date contains nothing but some computer game related content I've made. Hopefully, I'll soon have some photo work worth showing off on the thing.

I also love parentheses, and I apologize a lot (sorry).
Old 08-17-2005, 11:16 AM
Talking Well, Hello Again

Hi Everybody!

I joined this list a while back, posted a bit, then dropped off the face of the earth. Life got hectic, and the job didn't really lend itself to letting me come on here as much as I wanted.

Things are changing soon, however. I'm taking a part time job at a service bureau as a photo retoucher/pixel jockey for the place that does the output for a company I used to work for as a designer. Ironically, when I worked there I did the lion's share of their photo retouching, which was really my favorite part of the job. So now, same building, different employer, the fun part of the job, more money.

So, quick bio recap: I've been working in the graphics industry for the past 13 years, web, print, digital art. I've been teaching computer graphics for the past two years (and I've managed to corrupt, ahem, enlighten a few students to the joys of Photoshop. I am also in to old cars, metal work, and pinstriping.

Hello Again!

Old 08-30-2005, 03:40 PM
my turn!

Hello there

First of all i have to say that my english sucks so this will be a short introduction :P

My name is Mikael, 23 years old and i'm from Sweden. I have studied graphical design and webdevelopment but i am currently unemployed since 6 months.

I use PS CS for my Digital Art, check it out on my website

This seems to be a great forum/website and i hope to learn alot about resoration and retouch.

thats all folks
Old 09-27-2005, 08:05 PM
I am new here

Hello -

I did a search for a PS retouching book and I found this place !

I am from the Toronto area in Canada and work as an IT Infrastructure consultant.

I'm a beginner digital photographer and have been using Photoshop for about a year. So far digital photography has taken over as my #1 hobby.

I'm also really into running and fitness, team sports, and playing my bass guitar. I listen to all kinds of music, but my favourite band is Rush.

Glad to be here!
Old 10-02-2005, 08:43 AM
Posted in wrong forum - Intro

Sorry, I somehow posted my intro in the wrong forum. Please don't send the forum protocol police.

Hi all,
I'm ecstatic to have found this site. I'm trying to get into Photo Restoration and don't have a clue at what I'm doing. I just finished a quicktime tutorial from, but was a bit disappointed in it. I did get the hang of the patch and heal tools from it though. I've got Katrin Eismann's 2nd edition of Photoshop Restoration and Retouching from the library, but haven't really gotten into it yet. I know she's got a 3rd edition coming out in November, so wanted to hold off till then to buy it. I'm using Photoshop 7. I'll let you know how I stumbled into this restoration thing.

I started out being interested in making collages from our digital photos. I made a couple of family events and people seemed impressed. I'll be "liberated" from corporate life in a few months and have been toying with starting some sort of business. Was going off on all different directions and getting pretty frustrated and stuck creatively when I woke up one morning and the choice had been staring me in the face for months, I just didn't see it. You see, my mother passed away in June and my brother mentioned that we should get all the old pictures restored and put on disk for safe keeping. So I called a studio and asked how much it would cost to scan, restore and put on disk about 100 or so pictures. I don't know what I was thinking, but I figured he'd come back with a quote of a hundred or so dollars. WRONG! $62 PER pic! WOW! Politely ended that conversation. Don't anyone be offended. Someone must have slipped something into my coffee that morning. Well, since I've got Photoshop 7, and had been playing with making collages, I told my brother "I'll just do it myself." To make things worse, I've always got to make a hard task harder, so I get the idea that I want ALL the pics from ALL the surviving relatives (actually not so many now) and I want to make a coffee table quality bound book. Of course, first I've got to learn photo restoration. And Lord knows if binding a book of photos is even a feasible idea. I can get around in Photoshop, but usually use it for web images. I did find a resource at Digital Scrapbook Place that does book binding. So the end goal is possible to my surprise. Well, I'm looking at all these photos that are
literally destroyed and thinking by the time I get these done I might have acquired a new skill. Now I know it will take time, but I am determined, and, like I mentioned, I'm going to have a lot of time on my hands shortly.

I have some questions though. How long does it take (generally speaking) to become skilled at photo restoration if you're really motivated? Are there any other books other than Eismann's that are dedicated to photo restoration? Does anyone know of any schools (community colleges, etc.) in the Chicago area that offer courses? I've only actually found one school that offers a 3 day seminar, and that's Rochester Institute of Technology (NY). I know that's got to be a good one because I know that RIT is the preeminent school of photography. Kodak is headqauartered in Rochester, correct? It's not that it wouldn't be impossible, but I don't have that kind of cash right now. It seems as big as Chicago is that there would be something. I'd even be interested in an apprenticeship type relationship. I'd love to find a "Master" restorer. Would a general Photoshop course be beneficial in respect to restoration? I've considered investing in Photoshop Elements since it seems a little less complicated. Does it have any features for repairing old photos, or should I just stay with Photoshop and suffer the vertical learning curve? Sorry for such a long post. Will be more consise in the future.

I think this is the right place to be. I'm glad I found it. I was getting a little frustrated hanging out in the scrapbooking forums. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-17-2005, 10:42 AM
Hi, I am sort of new to this forum though I have lurked on for some time. About me. My name is Tracy and I live in Southern Oregon though may be moving to Boise in the next couple of months. I am a California native, Bay Area. Graphically, I am proficient in Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, Elements, and Corel Draw. Up until a couple of months ago, when the magazine was cancelled, I was a writer for Digital Photography Techniques, from Future Publishing. I have some commercial tutorials online through and I have a PSP Web site which is currently under reconstruction. I have not updated it with tutorials and goodies since version 9 beta. I have been beta testing Paint Shop Pro since version 7.10 for Jasc and now Corel and I am a C-Tech (volunteer) in the Corel Newsgroups. Personally I have a home based graphic and Web design business. I am not proficient in typing, in fact I am dyslexic, so please excuse my typo's time to time, I know most of you do read typo.

I am married and I have 3 kids left at home and 4 grown and gone, result of a blended family don't cha know. The 3 at home go to 3 different schools so as you can imagine I am the ultimate soccer mom (though my kids play instruments and not soccer).

Nice to see you here Danny, I heard tell you lurked around here as a boss type, and nice to meet new people.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by tracypori
Nice to see you here Danny, I heard tell you lurked around here as a boss type, and nice to meet new people.
Hi Tracy:

What a wonderful surprise to see your posts. I see you jumped in already with some PSP 10 advice. Your knowledge and experience will be welcome here.

Me a boss type?

Not really. I'm pretty much a hobbiest/enthusiast like most members. Doug's the main guy (owner/webmaster), who lets me play in his yard!

You're in great company. Lots of nice and talented folks participate here; it's a privilege to have you join us.

Again, welcome aboard.

Old 10-28-2005, 06:37 AM

it's not my first post here (and not second...), but i wanted to officially say hi, so... hi!

as i already said in one of my few posts here - i'm from poland (something about 10 kilometres from czech republic) and hope you'll forgive me all language mistakes (repeating myself, yeah, i know )...
i'm 18, rather freshly actually, and spending most of my time in front of my lovely computer, mainly fooling around with photoshop. i'm high school' student with english-german profile (have finals this year...). other interests? well, i like many, many things - from books, via photography, music and dance, to riding.

that'll be all, thanks for the fun i had here already!
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon