Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

New Members Introductions, Biographical Ramblings Etc

Closed Thread
Old 04-03-2002, 06:11 AM
Hi all,

First post here, so thought it was appropriate I introduced myself. I am 35, single and a total 'geek' (I think that is the right word )

I started in photography when I was 6 and my parents bought me a Kodak 126 camera to take on a school trip. (They put a black and white film in it cos it was cheaper than colour at the time!) Since then I have progressed slightly, but I still prefer B&W.

I started in Computers when my Gran bought me a VIC20 - little did she know what she was starting! Now the PC's are taking over the house and I am considering getting a MAC just to find out if they are as good as my friends say they are. My fav toy at present is my IPAQ - since I read constantly the ebook reader on there is the best bit of software yet! I started Photoshop'ing with a copy of version 3 a friend (with way too much money) bought then couldn't be bothered to use. Of course a scanner etc followed very shortly.

So that is the history.... I live with my dogs,( some of which I know are more intelligent than I am,) and my parents ( who I am not sure about intelligence wise ) I am based in Poole Dorset in the UK.

Nice to meet you all!
Old 04-12-2002, 04:31 AM
Hello, my name is Stephen Marsh. I am based in Sydney, Australia and have been working in prepress since 1988. I originlly apprenticed as a compositor/typesetter and then moved into desktop systems full time around 1993.

Although I have been involved in general prepress and production art duties for print, I am currently employed as a full time 'imaging specialsist' for a magazine publisher - which entails the colour correction and retouching for around ten monthly publications which cover a wide range of subjects - all of which are image intensive.

I have just found the site and the community spirit is the best that I have seen on any Photoshop or graphics list - this is quite an achievement.

I am looking forward to learning and sharing my experience with all of you.

Stephen Marsh.
Old 05-20-2002, 12:22 PM
Hiya... found this site linked on another forum that I am a part of.

I've been lurking for a day or so and decided I should register... looks like this is as good of a place as any to make my first post. (: I'm from Michigan, and I'm 23. I attended college at the Art Institute of Pittsbugh where I majored in photography, but due to some personal circumstances I never finished and got my degree. Since then, I've shot a few weddings, worked for child photography studios most professionals would laugh at and flashed my 3-year-old with a camera so many times he'll probably have eye problems. Heh. I've also been working at getting comfortable with Photoshop for a few years now, and I'm shooting digital these days because most of my images end up on the computer anyway... not to mention that the budget is a little tight and digital is so much cheaper for me than film. You can see some of my stuff at my personal site. Unfortunately I've been too lazy to scan in some of the better stuff I did while I was at college, and some of the stuff I have posted is pretty scary. But I'm still learning...

I've never seen a site or forum that discusses retouching and image enhancement in such detail! I have only done a few in the past as my family was always good about storing and taking care of older prints, but I love the challenges section and have already worked on a couple of the images there and hopefully they'll be added soon.
Old 05-20-2002, 01:58 PM
Hey All!

I'm Jackie Wilson (yeah, it's my REAL name... ) and I'm, ummmm.....

<mumbles to self and counts on fingers>

43 years old, yeah that's it....

I've been into photography since I was a little girl. I got a Brownie Hawkeye camera in about the 4th grade and annoyed my family and everyone at 4H camp with it. Then, when I was old enough, Mom gave me the old Ansco 35mm that was my dad's (he died when I was 2). My current "significant other" is a wonderful guy named Cannon Elan 7e...

As an extension of my love for photography, I learned to use a darkroom, and in about 1980 or so I was hired by a local minilab chain as a printer. I was eventually promoted, and was a district manager for them for a while, but being in the lab or behind a camera was what I really loved. From there, I graduated to bigger pro labs and have been a lab technician/manager pretty much all of my life now. As a lab technician I was introduced early to traditional retouching and restoration and ultimately to digital as well. It was a fine fit for me, since my childhood school days were spent listening to teachers say, "Jackie! Quit drawing and PAY ATTENTION!" Black and white art is what I really love to shoot, and I've done a lot of traditional hand coloring. I also developed a technique for painting on 35mm negatives with dyes and then printing the neg. on color paper. It's quite different looking, and I have not been able to reproduce the same effect with Photoshop yet - I'm trying though! I've had a few gallery shows and had a few things published over the years, which has been kind of fun.

In 1994 I decided that I wanted a college education since I never got around to getting one, so I started college almost 20 years to the day after I graduated from high school. My major was English (I also write), but as soon as I was done with my studies I went right back to photography and being a lab tech.

I was born in Kentucky and currently live in central Ohio, which is where we lived when I was a little girl. Right now I'm in a little place with one stop sign, about 10 houses and and endless supply of COWS - about 12 miles to the closest "convenience" store and 20 miles to the nearest "real" town. But in between my childhood and now, I lived for 18 years in Phoenix, AZ and 10 years in Portland, OR.

I'm currently taking a leave from lab work to try and build my own retouching/restoration business.
Old 05-25-2002, 06:13 PM
By Flora Meletti (Flora) on Sunday, May 26, 2002

Hi everyone!
I really should browse around more!

I am Flora (my real name too!).

I am 50, married since 33 years and have two grown children: Claudio, 32 and Lara, 27.

I am Italian and live in Milan, Italy, but I have lived in different other countries (European and not) for over 25 years, (my husband, now retired, worked for an international pharmaceutical company).

I started out as a teacher, but decided later, to become a translator.

I'm probably the exception here, because I'd never been interested in photography at all... I started photo "manipulation" as a joke, (I wanted to make something funny for a friend's birthday); about 3 years ago, using PhotoDeLuxe which came with the scanner I had just bought...I enjoyed it very much so, occasionally, I repeated the experience...until I got hooked ...I passed to Photoshop about 1 and a half years ago, and finding it very difficult to use, I started looking for and reading everything I could get my eyes on, trying to learn how to use it!....During one of my searches, I found "Il Paradiso" (RetouchPro ).....and the rest is history....
Old 05-25-2002, 06:31 PM

I'm surprised you didn't discover PSP, as it's much friendlier than PS and a fraction of the price $99 vs. $600 us. Most folks don't need PS even when they think they want it. They just like the statis it has. PSP can do almost anything it can do.
Old 05-25-2002, 06:40 PM
Hi Fugitive!

I'm sure you are absolutely right...but at the time I knew nothing about the variety in "image elaboration" software....and, obviously, I found a very clever salesman!!!....
Old 05-26-2002, 09:04 PM
Introducing moi

Hello everyone. Well I feel like coming into a movie late. Let's see what can I say about me...

I'm 104 (always lie higher, not lower, that way people will think you look great for your age!)
I work freelance as a web designer and general graphics manipulator including photo restorations. I am fairly new at it and just dove in. One day I woke up and realized I had just been laid off and had worked all my life for the financial security rather than joy and still had no financial security anyways. I decided I would do what I love. I had nothing to lose.

I did take a quickie 2 month DTP course but mostly I am self-taught. I love Photoshop. No, I mean I am seriously addicted to it. I dream about it. I saw a ding on my new car the other day and thought I can just use my lasso tool and..... I wish.

Also... just for the joy of it I make extremely wild photoshop artwork which I have gotten much encouragement about. People seem to love them. I am working on my new website right now where they will soon be posted again.

Photo restoration and retouch is definitely an art I am still learning and I see some exciting talent on this site. I'm sure I can learn plenty here. Thank you all for being here.

oh yeah.. almost forgot. My name is Marie and I'm from Montreal

you can message me on yahoo as ravenmd
my url is:
Old 06-02-2002, 06:55 AM
Hello everyone

Now it is time to jump in and join the fun. I have been a registered member for a while, but I haven't participated in any of the challenges. I would visit the board daily and read and look at the work being presented. I must say, there are many talented people here and to look back at early entries to the present, I really see the growth in skills.

Now about me I have been interested in photography since the youthful age of 8. I attended high school and also college to study the fine arts of photography. I have worked at various labs doing commercial printing.

I have always had an intrest in photo restoration, and creating collages. Using Katrin's book, I have learned a lot and, I have also learned a lot from you all.

Also, the sense of friendship and warmth I get from reading your responses to each other is something to behold - being the peson on the outside looking in.
Old 06-02-2002, 07:02 AM
Re: Hello everyone

Originally posted by Hydia
Now it is time to jump in and join the fun.
I'm so glad you did! It really IS a lot of fun. I sure hope you don't go back into hiding...
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon