RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

New Members Introductions, Biographical Ramblings Etc

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 10:29 PM

Re: New Members Introductions, Biographical Ramblings Etc

i was googling around and found this site. what a great place!!! i was lurking a bit but thought i'd take the plunge and say "hello."

i've been doing retouching for a couple of years now and am amazed that there is always something new to learn, and i hope to pickup a few tips here and share some of my knowledge too.

i can see, this site may become addictive
Old 01-22-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltek
i was googling around and found this site. what a great place!!! i was lurking a bit but thought i'd take the plunge and say "hello."

i've been doing retouching for a couple of years now and am amazed that there is always something new to learn, and i hope to pickup a few tips here and share some of my knowledge too.

i can see, this site may become addictive
Welcome aboard. You found RetouchPRO the same way I did. Like you I was amazed by the talent and creativity. What I liked best were the helpful (and nice) folks, plus the unlimited opportunities for learning.

I hope you enjoy your stay as much as I have mine.

~Danny~
Old 02-01-2007, 09:47 PM

Hello all! I found this site though the YouTube video. I am an amateur glamour photographer and web designer and have been looking for a site that offers information on how to retouch photos well. Now that I have found you guys I look forward to soaking up all the knowledge floating around this place!
Old 02-02-2007, 12:59 AM

Caesium, Welcome to RetouchPro!

If you haven't seen them yet, there are tutorials on retouching, and the forums are full of tips and techniques. People here are friendly to those who are learning and enjoy working with photos. Besides learning about retouching, you might be willing to share some photography tips with members? Enjoy looking around!
Old 02-02-2007, 02:09 AM

Hello Everyone,

After working in the court system for 35 years, I retired 4 years ago. I started out in the clerk's office and worked my way up to a courtroom. Along the way I discovered computers (The Commodore 64). It was a fun hobby and a good learning tool. Then I got my first PC - an AT with 1Mb of memory and a 30Mb hard drive. I was in heaven.

Finally, I decided to shift gears at the courthouse and went to work for the Information Systems Division. There I worked with systems on our AS400, administered our HP9000 system and Novell networks. Then I went to PC support. I installed and maintained software and hardware on PCs in all our facilities which covered the entire county. My last job with the court was telephone support for the PC.

My reason for taking up Photoshop was the occasion of my Mother's 100th birthday in 2003. The retirement home where she is staying wanted a collage of photos covering her life. I had some old photographs that were in terrible shape but I didn't know where to start. A friend of mine suggested that I scan some of the photos into the computer and restore them with Photoshop Elements 2.0. It took me weeks on my first ones while I was learning the software.

I used Photoshop Elements 2.0 and 3.0 until 2 years ago. Then I got an offer from Adobe to upgrade to Photoshop CS2 for half price. I never looked back.

I recently decided to make the switch to the Macintosh platform. To that end, I purchased an Intel Mac a couple of months ago. It has been a wonderful experience. Photoshop is a pleasure to use and hasn't given me any problems. It runs a little slow but I'll upgrade as soon as CS4 comes out.

Last year I decided to switch and bought an Intel iMac. I like taking photographs, working with my Mac, and being retired in general. I'm still learning Photoshop and enjoy it very much.

My wife retired a year ago last Christmas and now we take short trips and take time to smell the air when it's not polluted with smog.

We recently becam grandparents for the second time. We enjoy seing our children and grandchildren (they're 2 and 1 week).
Old 02-02-2007, 04:59 AM

Well you asked for it so sit back and enjoy the ride!

http://flickr.com/photos/sweetlight/

Hi all, I like to write so grab a snack, sit back and enjoy if you desire.
My name is Chris Walters, 39 male from Daytona Beach - born and raised. I grew up fishing and exploring the ocean and backwaters of the area from a young age, quickly becoming a fishing addict under the tutelage of my father, a 39-year veteran of the Daytona Beach Police Department. My love for the outdoors grew by the second and that is where I spent my time. I floated through school from day one, bored out of my mind but no way of explaining that I was not feeling challenged. High school life was pure hell for me, I hated the fake people, the clicks and all the other petty crap that goes with it. I found my retreat in a small class room stuck away in the far corner of the school, where the "weird people" hang out. That little corner of the world was the art classes, pottery, drawing and photo processing. I chose photo as an elective under the guidance of a wonderful teacher, passionate for the process and for sharing it. As I rocked that developer tray back and forth the D-76 brought to life a photogram of a maple leaf I had pressed under glass and from that second on I was hooked. In another stroke of luck the first artist in residence program was started and a wonderful photographer (Anna Tomczack) took interest in me and between the two of them I finally had found a home. (Google her, she's pretty famous these days and does wonderful 20x24 inch Polaroid transfers. I left high school for the local community college which was and is one of the top rated photo schools in the country which now incorporates the Southeast Center Photo Museum and there is always a show hanging from the big guys. I was home and I lived there, sleeping on the studio floor as we waited for c-47 and e-6 to run there hour long trip through the processors. At that time (1985) a photographer had to make an exposure, know what D-max and D-min were, and we were taught to see light, I mean really SEE it. Under the direction of a wonderful staff including but not limited to a photographer by the name of Bob Lerner (one of the first Look Magazine shooters) we were given real critiques, brutally honest and we either learned it, found our way or left. No digital cards to "chimp" on. You made exposures, bracketed if need be and you payed for each sheet of 4x5, 8x10 or roll of film. Too many times these days the students just shoot and judge exposure on a little LCD screen on the bock of camera. We are losing the real art. In 1989 I graduated, married and was asked to stay on for a few semesters assisting the commercial classes in lighting. Soon, my partner and I opened a commercial studio in an old blimp hangar in St. Pete, Florida. For several years we did high end work for major companies and publications around the country. One night I was photographing a nude of a lady due to give birth within days. Stevie Nicks played on the radio and the news broke in. We had just bombed Baghdad for the first time. The commercial market fell out my partner and I broke apart and my wife and I moved to Athens, Georgia where we both studied and I continued to work, driving to Atlanta every day showing my book and making a new market for myself. After 5 years, we grew apart, I moved back to Daytona with a terrible taste in my mouth for my art. I attended rookie school, following in dad's footsteps I became a cop for 5-years. I loved it but, found out I was an adrenalin junkie and I hated the politics. In 5-years I had not even touched a camera. I had sold thousands of dollars worth of Sinar and Broncolor equipment for pennies on the dollar and now I missed my art, I needed it again. After losing a partner in the line of duty, I lost my desire for the job and found my way back to photo school, took some photoshop classes and was soon teaching as an adjunct. Problem was now the world was digital so I had to learn it all over again. Turns out that was good, I had the basics to apply to a new process and I loved it. I started freelancing again, recontacted old clients, made new ones and had enough years under my belt that I could now pick and choose my clients. I did quite a bit of photojournalism, struggling to learn the ropes and the differences between that and commercial, trust me, that is not an easy change. Then I got smart. I loved to travel so started doing so a bit. Lived in the islands for a while, been on just about all of them but lived on Grenada. Left there and started making my way around the U.S. where I found my new lover - MONTANA. I go there often as well as surrounding states including Colorado, Arizona, Idaho and Washington state. I made a niche for myself shooting for fishing guides and bed and breakfasts bartering with some and making my living with others. I go several times a year now. I have struggled with some ghosts of a divorce, a dead partner and a few other life events but maturity has taught me that my art is my art because of life experience. I am over-sensitive, hopeless romantic and wear my heart on my sleeve. As you will see a lot of my work/montages are clearly me giving myself some therapy, they are who I am. As far as restoring old photos. I find it sad that some people who did not know any better have old phots disappearing in front of them and that is sad. I try to help them, restoring for folks, teaching them how to store and preserve and most times I do it for the pleasure of it. Sometimes I get a big job and if I am between assignments I'll take it on. I belive in critique. It is necessary and for the young ones who are being coddled through school it's not fair to them. The truth need be known. If I critique you I only mean to help and I always welcome critique in my direction.
Well, you caught me early in the a.m. and I rambled but I hope someone gets info out off it that they needed. Always feel free to contact me and please take a look at that flickr site. I am storing images there as I rebuild my main website. Be well.

Chris

http://flickr.com/photos/sweetlight/
Old 02-02-2007, 10:04 AM

Welcome to RetouchPro, GerryB!

Gerry, lots of folks find Photoshop because of a desire to save their family photos, but not many of us had a relative's 100th birthday as the impetus. After your Novell certifications, guess you knew you could learn a new program with a bit of effort. You state that "you're still learning Photoshop" -- well, it's my understanding that most people who have been using it for years are "still learning it", and I'm sure in that group.

One of the neat things about digital editing and this website is the combination of learning new skills, techniques, and true understanding of how the programs work while still enjoying doing a lot of useful work (and play). We've got discussions about techniques, challenges for practice and "showing what we can do", contests for real prizes, retouching/restoring for people who drop in needing some help, photo art to give us new vistas for what can be done with an image, and more! Get set to enjoy yourself.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:23 AM

Re: Well you asked for it so sit back and enjoy the ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlight

Hi all, I like to write so grab a snack, sit back and enjoy if you desire.
.... I made a niche for myself shooting for fishing guides and bed and breakfasts bartering with some and making my living with others. ...
I believe in critique. It is necessary and for the young ones who are being coddled through school it's not fair to them. The truth need be known. If I critique you I only mean to help and I always welcome critique in my direction.
... Chris
Chris / Sweetlight, Welcome to RetouchPro!

I wandered through some of your images at Flickr and really enjoyed them -- especially like your work in MERRITT ISLAND NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE, such as "Coot in Catfish Creek". I've seen your post in "Show you Stuff!" and hope you share more of your work and your words with those of us who enjoy photography as well as digital editing. I only learned a bit in the darkroom, but that first time an image popped out was exhilarating. I love digital, and think that it can be a great help for people to learn photography to see their results so soon after making their choice of composition/exposure etc., but it can also make it easier to just make "just barely" viewable exposures that record nothing much of interest. Your luck to have excellent and passionate instructors should be shared by all who have an interest in photography -- hopefully you will be one of those who helps the next young person learn "to see the light".

Hope you find areas of interest to you here at RetouchPro -- it is an interesting blend of photography/computers/digital editing - retouch/restore/photo art. There's also a lot of nice folks -- glad you joined us!
Old 02-02-2007, 11:31 AM

Chris a/k/a Sweetlight,

I am blown away by your photography. You are very talented. Let us know when you have finished your site.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:00 PM

Hi all,
My name is Noud Smeets, 42 male from the Netherlands Europe
I started taking pictures when I was 6 with an old Diana 6x6 toycam that was a present from my parents. My dad teached me how to make b/w prints and I spent a lot of years trying to master the b/w printing process in my own darkroom.
I did a higher arts training for 4 jrs on photography and video and also went to the dutch school of photography. Started to work for the local newspaper.

Switched to TV work and worked for more than 10 yrs as a pro cameraman, being a senior cameraman for almost 4 yrs.
I first got involved working with photoshop around 1989 and was happy to sell the old darkroom in 1995...
Did some DTP and prepress work as well inbetween and concentrated for years on photoshop trying to get the best out of myself and out of the program.

Besides photography and digital image editing my other passion is music and playing guitar (Check out my website www.noudsmeets.com)
I live together with my girlfriend and 5 maine coons in The Hague, thats about 40 minutes south from Amsterdam.
At the moment I work as a freelance photographer and Teaching at the Dutch school of photography

Sorry if I make some mistakes....English is not my native tongue..know I have to work on that lol
This Forum is the best i' ve seen in yrs!!!

kind regards
Noud (Ikagami)
www.shootthephotographer.com
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon