RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

New Members Introductions, Biographical Ramblings Etc

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2002, 05:02 PM

Hi there,

Since I'm "hooked" on this site and it looks like I'll be hanging around for awhile, I thought I'd better introduce myself.

I first got interested in photography while in the army and, after discharge, I even worked as a photographer for a few years but gave it up and became an audio-visual producer. This eventually led to a job at The National Geographic Society's Educational Media Division producing materials for K-12 classrooms. After 23 years with NGS I retired in 1994. With my newly acquired leisure time I began researching my family's genealogy and that got me started restoring old photographs.
I didn't realize it could become an obsession. And a money funnel. It seems like every day there's a new program, plug-in, or gizmo I've just gotta have. So many toys, so little time.

I live in Silver Spring, Maryland where, when I'm not glued to the computer, I still take an occasional picture (digital camera), play the clarinet (mediocrely), dote on my five grand kids, and, with wife in tow, travel occasionally.

Jim Caffrey
Old 06-28-2002, 04:29 PM

Wink about me...

Hello, all. I am fairly new here. I am the Graphics/digital photography Sig (special interest group) leader for Another Baltimore Computer Users Group. My main computer interests are with graphics and paint programs and digital photography. Over the years I've used Paint Shop Pro starting with version 5, Photo Impact since version 3, PhotoShop 4, a shareware program called PhotoBrush, and Painter 4 through 6. In recent years, I’ve focused mainly on using PhotoImpact and recently PhotoBrush too.

I am 54 years old. Married with 3 daughters, 28, 18, and 11, the oldest of whom made us grandparents in February 2001. Until 4 years ago I worked in a local school system, in support services. I had to end up retiring on disability in late 1998 due to a neurological disorder that affected me to the point where I could no longer perform the job I had. Since that time I have spent a good deal of time learning more about computer graphics and working with digital photography. I look forward to participating here and learning from all you talented folks!

I have put up a website with a free site service to show some of my creative efforts and digital photography. If you're interested here is the URL:
http://members.designheaven.com/~toppergrafix/

In case you are wondering about my online name, "qom" it is short for quaker oats man. I've had that nickname for nearly 30 years now since someone once told a friend of mine I reminded them of the Quaker Oats Man. Of course that was back in my long hair "hippy" days. It just kind of stuck! Oh and my "real" name is Jim.
Old 06-28-2002, 05:00 PM

Welcome QOM!
(I was always a Malt-o-Meal guy, myself, mostly because that's what my dad liked = what my mom bought!)

With your wealth of graphics experience and being a seasoned veteran in life (I'm 50, myself), believe me -- you'll fit right in here, Jim. I'm sure many of us will benefit from some of your pearls of wisdom as much as you learn from others.

As you get familiar with the surroundings (see blue link below for a sneak peak at a soon to be ready for prime time site map), definitely checkout the public gallery (Post a few images of your own, if you like. Beware: 100KB size limit). Don't miss the Challenges area. The challenges is where the rubber really meet the road. The discussion Forums are great, too. Oh, heck, there's something for everyone!

Never be bashful. Ask lots of questions. Engage in the forums. But if nothing else, have a ton of fun while you're here!

Welcome aboard.

~DannyR~
Old 06-28-2002, 05:27 PM
Janitor

Welcom QOM.

Have an avatar
Attached Images
File Type: gif qom.gif (2.1 KB, 152 views)
Old 06-28-2002, 05:34 PM

Thanks Doug, guess I have to ask the "dumb" question now... what do I do with it to make it appear on the bb?
Old 06-28-2002, 05:39 PM
Janitor

Save it to your hd, then go to your User CP to install it under profile (you're under no obligation to use it, but if you do someone will probably animate it soon )
Old 06-28-2002, 07:03 PM

welcome

Well talk about the perfect avatar... good one..
welcome Jim...
I might be the one who animates the avatar ... although it's great as it is... a hobby of mine ... but others do it here also.

RonDon
Old 06-28-2002, 08:14 PM

anaimated avatar

I made one for you to look at QOM ... just a small animation ... just nods now and then ... I posted it with the others on the animated avatars thread... page 5 ... hope this link takes you there.....

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...0&pagenumber=5

RonDon
Old 06-28-2002, 09:22 PM

Thanks RonDon! What is the image size limit on the avatars? I'm thinking of making one for myself too. Maybe have my face fade into the QOM one. PhotoImpact does come with Gif Animator...
Old 06-28-2002, 09:57 PM

size limit

hi ... I think 30kb is the file size limit..... as long as it isn't over 50 pixels high or wide...
that sounds like a good animation....
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon