RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

New Members Introductions, Biographical Ramblings Etc

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2002, 12:38 AM

Hi there, I thought it was time to come out of the shadows where I’ve been watching and learning for a while now.
My name is Paul Markey, I’m 42 and originally from Ireland and came to Kansas City 12 years ago. I’ve been married to Ger for 13yrs and we have a ten year old daughter Niamh, (pronounced Neeve) yes I know - the Irish language is a little different!! and we’re cruel parents for giving her a name only Irish people can pronounce first time, but it’ll “help her build character”.
When it comes to photo restoration I’m strictly an amateur, I fell under it’s spell in January of this year when we were visiting friends, they had framed and displayed all the old family photos they could get, most were in good condition but there was one small one with a lot of cracks and tears in it. I told them that they could have it restored and was quickly challenged to do it myself since I knew so much!! did I mention that my friends were also Irish? Anyway, took up the challenge and using Photosuite 4 I did a pretty good job of cloning out the cracks and spotting the dust specks, the friends were suitably impressed and I was hooked.
I now have PS7 a couple of good books including Ms Eismann’s (what would we all do with out her?) and some “great “ tutorials from this site and as soon as I get back from vacation in Santa Fe NM (digital camera in one hand and a margarita in the other – it’s too hot for Guinness) I need to knuckle down and “do” something.
So here’s to a long and creative relationship, Sláinte.
Old 06-30-2002, 01:02 AM

Welcome, Paul! I'm happy to see you here....

And as far as I'm concerned, it's never too hot for a Guinness, although I do like to slip away to Margaritaville w/ Jimmy occasionally too...
Old 06-30-2002, 01:30 AM

And a hearty welcome from me, too, Paul. As you know by now, this is a pretty friendly place where you can learn A LOT. Glad you found us.

Have to agree with Jak on two points: Too hot for a Guinness? Not around the Seattle area, anyway. And I, too, have taken a trip or two on the Margaritaville bus. It helps clear (cause?) cobwebs while plowing through a retouch project.

If you need an occasional diversion from serious work, come on over to the Photo-Based Art forum (playground?) and frolic in the sandbox for awhile.

Again, great to have you on board. Happy Photoshopping!

~DannyR~
Old 06-30-2002, 01:50 AM

Well, Danny, if it's the PNW we're in, then I'll take a Terminator...

(Man, I miss McMin pubs...)
Old 08-11-2002, 10:02 PM

I am elated I found this site. Located it on Steve Wolf's website http://showcase.netins.net/web/wolf359/adobepc.htm. I belong to his digiphots mailing list and often the subject of retouch/restore comes up.
I am 44 and a teacher in New York. I have dabbled in photography since I was 14 and with computers at 24. Getting Photoshop was a high point and over the last few years I have spent millions of hours discovering.
I am always looking for new ways to manipulate and fix (even when it ain't broke!!)
Over the last 2 years I have been busy creating slide shows of my neice's lives as graduation gifts and PS/Image ready have been a godsend. Then I spend hours looking for new ways to do old things. I think this site will be my starting point from now on. I am really impressed by the talent, both raw and cultured, displayed by the members of RP. And the criticism/advice is unmatched. I may not get to comment on all submissions due to time factors, but I am impressed. I'm also having a load of fun with the challenges.
I will be spreading this site around, believe me.

Keep up the good work all
Debbie Carr

Last edited by Doug Nelson; 08-12-2002 at 01:31 AM.
Old 08-11-2002, 10:47 PM

Debbie:

Great that you found us and thanks in advance for passing the good word about RetouchPRO.

After seeing your post in the Photo-art forum, glad to learn more about you here.

Again, welcome aboard!

~DannyR~
Old 09-23-2002, 09:24 AM

Hello,
I have posted a few times and thought it was about time I introduced myself...

I am from Dartford, England and have been involved in photography since I left school. I have a degree in photography, although when I was at college they forgot to tell us that we really should invest some of our time learning photoshop! So what I have learnt has been off my own back since I left.

I currently have my own young company in England offering everything from limited edition prints, commissions and retouching of course!

Must say at this point that I am very glad to have found you guys, and have spent a long time roaming through the forums - and am still only taking tiny bites of information there is so many good tips, tricks and evil bits to take in. Thanks for all the info thats already here, I hope I can help out and return the favor.

Clare
Old 09-23-2002, 09:52 AM

Clare:

Nice to see your introduction post here. I'm glad you found us, too. It's always nice to have "world representation."

Welcome and keep learning.

~DannyR~
Old 09-23-2002, 01:56 PM

Welcom Clare! Good to see another member from "across the pond!"
Old 09-27-2002, 02:24 PM

Hi all. Sorry for not introducing myself earlier – I just discovered this thread today.

My name is Truman Brown. “VisualEyes” is the fake name I use for all those computer applications and web forms that bug me for my company name.

I’m a Senior Systems Analyst with the City of Los Angeles: just your basic civil servant who gets to play with computers all day long and then goes home and plays with them some more. I took my first programming class in the 9th grade, way back in 1972, writing FORTran on punched cards and feeding them into the campus computer which was the size of two bungalows. It was fun, but I didn’t have a clue as to what I was doing, so I got sidetracked with photography and lithography classes and came out of high school deciding that I wanted to be a printer. I earned a degree in Photo-offset Lithography, but got sidetracked again when I decided I needed to sow some wild oats in the military.

The Marines taught me how to follow orders, run fast, eat fast, shoot a rifle, and operate a Telex machine. With those skills and an honorable discharge, I soon found a job at Western Union where I eventually transferred from typing telegrams to processing bills on an IBM System/36. That system was always breaking down, requiring calls to the tech support guys on the other coast. After about two years of calls, I decided that I’d rather be on the other end of the phone line, so I quit and went back to school to earn a degree in Information Systems. I bought my first “personal computer” about this time: the Timex Sinclair 1000 (2K RAM! Expanded to 16K for $250!).

Six poverty-stricken years and two kids later, I graduated, found an internship with the City of LA, and began learning all the mysteries and wonder of the IBM AT, IBM AS/400, MS DOS, and dot-matrix printers. About 4-5 years later, after having become a BBS junkie, I discovered a program called Vivid. It was a primitive raytracer that let me create amazing images like those that I’d only seen in sci-fi movies and the 6:00 news intro. I played with Vivid for a few years, then migrated to the DKB raytracer which later became known as POVRay. I got fairly good at it and several of my images were published in magazines worldwide and I even got to author a chapter in SAM’s Publishing’s PC Graphics Unleashed. In order to make my images press-ready, I would touch them up using Aldus Photostyler. Aldus went out of business or got bought, so I looked around for something else to use and discovered Photoshop 3.0. I’ve been hooked ever since. I’ve taken beginning, intermediate, and advanced PS classes, but most of what I know I learned on my own.

So, today I have a wife, three kids, three cats, a 2.3Ghz P4, a couple of scanners, digital and video cameras, video capture system, photo inkjet printers, and so little time in the day to play with all of them.
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon