Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

New Members Introductions, Biographical Ramblings Etc

Closed Thread
Old 10-09-2002, 09:25 PM
Hi. My name is Andrew, and I live in Los Angeles. I guess you could call me a graphic hobbiest, because I spend many evenings trying to learn about color correction and repair of photos. I don't seem to be able to finish reading any of the graphic books I buy, but I like searching the web for tips, and I like to practice on photos.

A few days ago I dropped by here and noticed the Photo-Based Art forum. Making photo-based art is something I tried a couple years ago, and gave up out of frustration. But maybe I'll do better now that I know more about color adjustment and photo-editing tools. So I downloaded the Bambi pic to see what I can do.

Anyway, that's about it. And I better get back to working on the Bambi pic. I'm going to be switching to a new computer soon, and I want to finish before dealing with this other computer.

Old 10-10-2002, 01:52 AM
Welcome Andrew and Visual Eyes!

Hi Andrew, and welcome! You will love this place, I guarantee...always something new to see and do and learn! I only found it this past summer and very quickly became hooked.

And Truman, thanks for the fascinating bio. Your full education partially explains your skillful work, but as we all know, knowlege alone isn't enough. Whatever that secret ingredient in art is, you definitely have it!

Old 10-10-2002, 01:59 AM

As moderator of the Photo-art forum, I'm especially delighted you found us and dropped in. Welcome aboard.

If you have any questions on anything, feel free to send me e-mail or personal mail (PM botton below).

Again, welcome. Look forward to seeing your Bambi creation.

Old 10-12-2002, 10:33 AM
You Gotta Be Kidding?! (actually a very clever moniker)

Welcome to RetouchPRO, Chuck. You've found a great place to hang out and learn. Now that you've got time on your hands (good for you), I'm sure there are gobs of current and archive threads that will be educational and informative.

You and I are in about the same youth group (I'm 50, going on 29) and have similar interests and 'How I got started' stoires. I'm a West Coast person too (Seattle area); born in L.A., moved to WA in 1965.

If you have any questions about anything or need advice, don't hesitate to send me Personal Mail (PM button below). If you haven't seen the "site map" yet, click the link below my signature.

Again, welcome aboard, and enjoy the ride. It gets better every day.

Old 10-23-2002, 10:26 PM
Newbie Intro

Well, my first post.

My name is Steve Campbell and I live in Armidale, Northern NSW Australia. I have been "playing" with restoring photos on my Canon 660 scanner for a while, and now have made the leap to fully digitising the last 40 years of slides and negs by purchasing a canon 4000dpi film scanner.

All I now have to do is learn how to use it ........and Photoshop!

I am really excited about finding the "font of knowledge" as I have been restoring photos for the last 12 months with not a clue of the best way of going. I have several big restoration jobs coming up courtesy of my mother-in-law (some really old prints of her gradparents).

I have one quick question. What is the combined wisdom concerning handling of prints, negs and slides. Do you wear gloves, and if so what type? I use cotton gloves with prints but they are hopeless for negs as they cover them in dust!! I don't even know whether cotton is the best for prints, but it seemed preferrable to my "grubby paws".

Hope to here from you soon, and really enjoy your forums.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:17 PM
Welcome aboard Steve. I have been a member here for a little less than a month, but am becoming annoyingly omnipresent.

As a fellow newbie, I like the challenges best - you see so much creativity, and so many different takes on the same subject. You should try your hand!

See you around.

Old 10-24-2002, 08:17 AM
Hi Steve, welcome aboard!

Gloves are a good idea - I use them when I work. Nylon gloves work well. A google search for darkroom gloves should turn up what you need.
Old 10-24-2002, 11:22 AM

Let me add my welcome, too.

You've joined a great site where members are knowledgeable and friendly -- and the wealth of information and opportunities to learn are plentiful.

Don't believe Toad's comment about him being annoyingly omnipresent.. He was just being modest. You'll find his contributions supportive and creative.

Look forward to seeing your forum contributions. Nice to have you aboard.

Old 10-24-2002, 11:41 AM
Welcome Steve,

I have been here for a little while now and am still enjoying - learning - experiencing so much.

The galleries - challenges are so much fun

I have learnt more here in the last couple of months than I have in years and its been enjoyable as well. I still haven't covered all the areas to be found here - theres just so many to be found.

Welcome and I am sure you will find this as freindly and helpful as I have

Old 10-24-2002, 01:10 PM
I'm new

My name is Stella Nemeth. In my day job I "program" Access Databases. The "program" is in quotes because I don't write code. This is a pretty odd job for an old lady. You can't belive what I had to go through to convince my current boss I really did know how to do this stuff. I've been playing with computers since we bought a Commodor 64 back in the days when computers didn't have hard drives and the Commodors didn't have floppy drives either.

I've been involved in digital photography for several years. We've got two digital camera and I'm on my second scanner and second photo printer.

Until a few weeks ago I never used Photoshop. I've used several different consumer-type photo programs over the years and had outgrown them all, but couldn't seem to get over the hump on the learning curve for Photoshop even though I owned a copy of Photoshop 5.

Then I tried to load yet anothr one of "those programs" on the computer and the computer locked up during the instal. That did it. I'd had enough. It was just once too often.

I had a copy of Photshop Elements on the computer too and I searched the Web for Tutorials so I could learn to use it at least a little. I got almost to the Intermediate level when the upgrade for that program came out and decided not to buy it but to upgrade Photoshop from 5 to 7 instead.

I'm not sure how I found this site, but I'm very glad I did. I've already tried one of the challenges and I'll upload it soon.
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon