RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

New Members Introductions, Biographical Ramblings Etc

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 02:42 PM

Hi Stella:

Regardless of how you found us, * * * W E L C O M E * * * to our happy campground!

Gosh: Commodore 64 to programming Access applications. Now that's a leap!

Are you using VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) in your programming endeavors? If so perhaps once you get into PS7, you'll have an interest in dabbling in (or diving into) into PS7's new scripting module. VB along with Java are supported, which enable folks with the right experience / skill set (this excludes me) to write some really custom Photoshop procedures.

With your background, you'll fit right in to RetouchPRO (actually, you already have). Thanks for sharing a bit about yourself. Look foward to seeing you around.

~DannyR~
Old 10-25-2002, 11:12 PM

Thanks for the welcome

You asked if I program in Visual Basic. No I don't, which is why I put the word program in quotes.

It is amazing what one can do with Access' own built in tools. Basically I pull data from another database. Export it in ASCII. Inport it into Access and then slice it, dice it and analyze it.

I've got a few real databases going too, where we add data entry to the data we pull out of the Company database, and then run mail merges with it in Word. I do queries, forms, reports and macros, but no Visual Basic.

In addition to needing to reconstruct the few heritage photos I've got, I want to do scrapbook pages in Photoshop. I've managed to get a few that I really like already, but I know there is a lot more possibilities in the program.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:28 PM

Stella -- good for you! Photoshop can do so much, so it's really (one of) the best program(s) to learn if you're serious about working with photos. There are folks here at just about every level of knowledge, so whatever level you're now at, you'll fit in and be able to start getting even better.

If you have a particular area of Photoshop that you're currently struggling with, let us know and someone will have a tip or a link to a good tutorial -- here or elsewhere on the internet.

Looking forward to seeing some of your work.
Old 10-29-2002, 04:04 PM

Wink

Hi!

My name is Trine Sirnes and I live in Fredrikstad, Norway with my boyfriend, Knut Fredrik and every second weekend and in hollidays, his two sons.

I'm a passionate amateur photographer as well as interested in everything digital(camera, internet, webdesign etc.).

I'm a member of several photocommunities on the net, and it was in one of them someone told me about this place. And what a great place I found It really challenges your creativity and gives you so many new ideas, as well as the oportunity to learn from very talented people.

Trine
Old 10-29-2002, 06:33 PM

Trine:

I am SO glad you found this site. Over the past few days I've been admiring the images you have uploaded for the various challenges. Your works are exceptionally innovative and inspirational.

I hope you find as much enjoyment here as we find enjoyment viewing your creations.

Thanks for telling us a little about yourself. It's an honor to have you join us.

Welcome to the RetouchPRO family.

~DannyR~
Old 10-29-2002, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CJ Swartz
If you have a particular area of Photoshop that you're currently struggling with, let us know and someone will have a tip or a link to a good tutorial -- here or elsewhere on the internet.

Looking forward to seeing some of your work.
The current focus is on color correction. I've figured out Levels and Curves in black and white, and even in color as long as the color cast is basically normal. In fact, it is amazing how much better all of the photos look these days.

My husband does an annual professional conference and takes loads of pictures there. Because the lighting is very odd, almost every photo needs work, but generally the same kind of work.

This time, using Photoshop, I was able to apply the curve from photo a to photo b, c and d. Not only did I get good results, but they were very fast good results.

Except for the few photos with bad color...
Old 10-29-2002, 09:48 PM

Quote:
I was able to apply the curve from photo a to photo b, c and d. Not only did I get good results, but they were very fast good results.
Great, Stella. Good technique and efficiency to boot!

Some of RetouchPro's Retouching Challenges are related to color casts. You might want to look at this one for starters (when you have some extra time). The names listed below on that page are linked to each of the previous submissions by past and present members here -- with some details on their technique. There are some tutorials on the web related to color correction also, in case you haven't already seen them.

Retouching Challenge -- K-Mart Special (Orange color cast)
Old 10-31-2002, 02:06 PM

Wink Philip Lombardi

HI my name is Philip (Phil) Lombardi and I live in the state thats hard to Photograph, New Jersey.
I am married 41 years have four kids and 7 grandchildren and boy do I love them. At 63 this forum has been a reburth for me.
I also was in corporate America and inbetween I did some pro photography wedding and a little commercial.(1970). About ten years ago I learned computers and in my office I am the Guru. Ha HA. I first got Adobe Photoshop 4 and basicly I have only done some photo colorization until two years ago. Last year I joined this forum and have expanded into Photoshop 7 and in the last six months I have taken the artsy part of it seriously. Danny has helped me alot and the post from you guys are awsome and make me want to get better. I have a mechanical ability which helps me figure things out. I am open for all comments because thats how we get better.
Old 10-31-2002, 02:07 PM

Hi,
I'm Art Hill. I live in La Grange Illinois, a suburb of Chicago. I've lived in the Chicago area all my life. I started taking pictures about 45 years ago with an Argus C-3. After my kids grew up I didn't do much photography until I got my first digital camera. Since then I've gone nuts. I just bought a Nikon 5700 and took it to Paris on our vacation. I'm pretty happy with it. I have a wonderful wife and two married daughters - they both live near downtown Chicago. I have a web site where I display a lot of my pictures at http://www.windycityart.com/
I'm looking forward to learning a lot as manipulation, retouching, etc has never been my strong suit. I'm learning.
Old 10-31-2002, 02:14 PM

Wecome (again) to both of you.

Art:
Gosh, I too started out with an Argus C-3 in the late 50's. I'm pretty sure it's stashed somewhere at my mothers house. How the technology (photo equipment, computer-wise) has evolved since then!

Phil:
Since you've been married 41 years, you should be giving ME advice on the subject. You must be doin' a lot of things right! Congratuations.

~Danny~
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon