RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Curious

Old 03-23-2005, 09:31 PM

Curious

Does anyone here use any other printers but Epson? I am leaning toward a Canon...I9900. I have seen a demo of an Epson the high end photo printer , number slips my mind..but it was the most recent out in the inkjet printers.The colors were not good at all! Just wondering! Thanks Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2005, 09:39 PM

I have a Canon IP4000 - but when I bought it I wasn't really into photo restoration like I am now becoming. And I was unaware of the issues with fading of dye based inks. So I hope to buy an Epson R1800 because of the pigment ink, and A3 facility, provided I find this interest is still as strong in another 6 months or so.

I don't know if this is the one you saw a demo of, but the rewiew here does seem to mention some tweaking of the colour settings is needed to get perfect results. It sounds like something that could be fixed in future driver updates.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2005, 11:38 PM

Neb, I currently use a Canon I990, which was highly recommended at the review site Caitlin mentioned (all their printer reviews - click on the blue ball to the left of the word "reviews" on the menu -- left side of the page http://www.photo-i.co.uk/ ), and I am quite happy with it. I used an Epson 1270 for several years before I bought this (last year), and was quite happy with it also... until it started making black marks on my photos -- I never bothered to take it in for servicing since my experience over the years is that buying a new one is no more expensive than a trip to the service center. (that is not an absolute truism -- just my personal experience)

I think you will find that there are a number of printers that will make nice quality photos, and that as soon as you buy the "best model", a new one will be announced that is supposed to make YOURS look sick. I try to read a number of different reviews from different sources (no one is really objective), try to see them in the stores if possible, and then make a decision -- knowing that most of them are good. See what experiences you can share with other members here -- (Look in the Hardware forum instead of this Software forum to find info already left by other members )
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2005, 03:04 AM

Thank you CJ, as soon as I posted I thought maybe there was a different area and I should have looked closer. Newbie mistake. Thank you for the information. I think I will like it. I wish they had better longer lasting inks. What is the archival quality . 25 years or so? Would like longer. Thanks again. Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2005, 07:17 AM

My Canon i960 has been great. No ink fading....yet..

Like CJ I had an Epson 1270 for years. Great printer but I couldn't keep the print nozzles clean.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2005, 07:54 AM

Thank you both so much! I am glad to receive information from people who actaully have the Canon printer and can give their honest opinions and good one's at that.

Do you find the large size 13x19 gives good quality prints? I am excited about having this feature. Will there be a big learning curve with learning to use this printer? You know anything new takes time to get used to.

This forum is such a valuable resource. I am very glad to have found it. Thank you both for the responses. Blessings Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2005, 10:03 AM

Neb, my i960 is just a standard format,(8 1/2x11), printer. I really never utilized the full capability of the old Epson 1270.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2005, 02:14 PM

re: curious

Hi, I'm useing hp all in one 2110. I'm happy with it...but then I copy a lot for use in tubes and design work (personal). The cards I have printed out looked real good. Haven't printed photos yet.

(just my 2 cents worth *GRIN*)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software