RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Photoshop CS2 released

Old 04-05-2005, 07:48 PM

I really like some of the new features, might just have to break into the piggybank and upgrade.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2005, 02:09 PM

Cs2

Seems like it is mostly a version for the photograpers. Don't see much I couldn't live without. Although I didn't upgrade from 7 and there are a few things in CS I might use so I guess I'll wait for CS2. Whats a month at this point.

Bob
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2005, 02:28 PM

CS2 about.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Walden
Seems like it is mostly a version for the photograpers. Don't see much I couldn't live without. Although I didn't upgrade from 7 and there are a few things in CS I might use so I guess I'll wait for CS2. Whats a month at this point.

Bob
Like you I passed on CS. Since I have no urgent needs I'm going to wait until it starts shipping and take early user reviews into consideration before taking the $149 plunge.

- - - - - - -

More info on CS2 from About.com

http://graphicssoft.about.com/b/a/158739.htm
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2005, 06:38 PM
Janitor

Take a close look at Vanishing Point. It's the most dramatic thing Photoshop has added in a long while, and it's purely for retouching.

Here's a movie showing it in action.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2005, 07:49 PM

CS2 features, functions - a whole bunch of links (link)

If you're not overloaded yet from reading about CS2, Kent Christiansen has assembled a great collection of links to articles describing CS2 features, functions, etc.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=13011986

Thanks, Kent.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2005, 08:52 AM

I've already ordered it. :-)

Warping shapes...kewl! WYSIWYG font menu...'bout time! Noise reduction, smart sharpen, and the new blur filters...probably worth the upgrade for prepress folks. Vanishpoint...great feature.

Also, for those with the CS package, the Illustrator Live Trace tool looks promising.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2005, 03:51 PM

I'm looking over the CS2 demo now. There are some great features for designers and digital camera buffs (smart objects, vanishing point, RAW). But for fixing photos or doing photo art, not much. I already have Neat Image and Focal Blade for noise, sharpening, and surface blurring. I have to fix red eye so rarely I might as well do it by hand. Which leaves spot healing, which could come in handy, but not worth $149.

So now I'm trying to discover general work flow changes. IOW, ways of handling things that make it much quicker. But all I notice is the blending mode list is no longer compact, and now it has to be scrolled. But I think there were some layer improvements that make things quicker. I just can't figure out what they might be.

Anyone have suggestions for new features to look at?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2005, 03:59 PM

Smart Sharpen looks like it will have great potential.

I guess if it's "art" you want, Painter is the better option, but for prepress production, ya can't beat PhotoShop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2005, 08:25 PM

I actually have a friend who works for Abobe.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2005, 12:45 PM

Smart sharpen is indeed a good adition as well as surface blut which will get a lot of use here I would imagine, makes a great job of smooting with out damaging edges like smart blur but better (nneds to be faded though I find)

Smart Object is great when you use repitions of objects in one piece. It was a bit disappointing that if the same smart object was used in multiple documents it could not update them all. I did find a work around using illustrator objects but it has more potential to fill. It needs to be like flash where you can updated library objects at it will look at the external file.

Warp is a nice feature, of course it works best with clean sharp objects. I would like to be able to change the mesh settings but I don't think that is possible.

Bridge is OK ,but take extra resource and slower to load than browser. But so far no problems like some users have reported.

Took me a while to figure out some of the new layer options like "create clipping mask from linked" has gone and now you use the alt key and click inbetween the 2 layers.

Noise reduction so far very good, may replace third party options.

Vanishing point rules. I advise using this for all cloning, just draw a non perspective grid. Reason why, because you get the preview brush which make lining up the clone so much easier to work with especially if there are any lines, patterns in there, how often do we sample go to lone and slip a bit with the alignment so have to undo and go again.

Oh nearly forgot, lens correction filter is a grat add on, saves tweaking with perspective and and or distort, then pinch for barrel distort or maybe you use Richard Rosenmans plugin, well this filter makes lens correction simple.

Not played with variables but may have some nice potential for the web graphic designers.

Spot healing is a welcome addition to the clone and heal suite.

After holding out while every other graphic packaged added one "red eye tool" it works well and is a quick fix. Some cases will still be better (as always) with a manual intervention.

I think that covers what I have used or tested latley.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software