Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Backing up Photos

Old 04-11-2005, 05:37 AM
Question Backing up Photos

Can anyone give me advice on what software I should be using in order to backup my photos. I have about 8,000 on my hard drive now. I have saved these to disc but it can be really confuising as to where a photo is and if it has been backed up or not.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2005, 08:54 AM
This is a tough one, its going to take you some time too.

All i do is label the folders of whats in them, and then i add them to a dvd burner, which can hold upto 100 times more than a cd i believe, but if you don't have a dvd burner it might be handy if you could get a 2nd hand external hard drive.

Welcome to the forum i do hope your be showing off some of your 8000 pictures.

Last edited by Legacy~Art; 04-11-2005 at 09:02 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2005, 10:14 AM

I use Picasa which is a free program from Googgle (a free download from which helps me find pictures on all of my computer's 3 hardrives. Helps me sort my images, pictures etc into visual albums. Easy program to use, especially when backing up images, Never could get my head around using Nero, but Picasa was easy. Allowed me to select which image folders I wanted to backup, told me how many CDs/DVDs I would need and so forth. Program also has some other neat features like the 'Histogram and Camera Information' for images I have taken with our digital cameras, some basic quick fix edit functions etc. Go to the site and have a look. Its free and easy to use.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2005, 04:28 PM

Thank you for that link its appreciated!

Welcome to the forum i sure do hope you show off your artwork and share your knowledge.

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2005, 02:20 PM
Use a 2nd hard drive

For considerably less than the cost of a DVD burner, you can purchase a 2nd hard drive and install it yourself. Use it to very simply make a copy of all the data on your existing hard drive.

Even better, purchase a program like Norton Ghost and use it to automatically create a bit-for-bit copy of your "regular" hard drive---if the first one poops out, the 2nd one is all ready to go with backups intact.

The advantage to this, besides constant availability, is that discs are simply not stable enough for true archival storage. They may be rated by the manufacturers to last 200 years, but none has actually been around that long---and I have had discs from reputable manufacturers fail within a couple of months. Go ahead and use them, but don't make them your only backup source.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2005, 08:12 AM
there are archival cd's/dvd's which are rated for long term storage, but they are a bit more expensive and not available everywhere yet. a dutch friend of mine told me about these, but i'll have to get the url from him the next time i talk to him.

harddrives are also not completely safe. a typical harddrive has a life of about 10,000 hours. that may seem like a lot, but i typically go through harddrives in about 2 or 3 years.

the newer external harddrives using usb ports might be a good hardware backup solution. one could simply plug one in 'on the fly' as it were, do your backup, and unplug the drive and turn it back off, thus saving a bit of drive life. i have one and like it, but i leave it on the system currently.

and i dont know a lot about these, but there used to be a 'hot swap' type of drive on the market. it used a special piece of hardware that fit into one of your computer's drive bays. with the system up and running, you could remove one drive and plug another one in. i'm not sure these arent a bit obsolete now though, what with firewire and usb drives available.

frankly, i dont know of a good, reliable, long term archival system. you might want to try storing on a remote server that offers archival services. these are generally guaranteed, but i have no personal experience with any, so cant say for sure how good or bad they may or may not be.

Nero is pretty good software, but like Wmamea, i do find it a bit confusing here and there. Retrospect is good backup software and comes packaged with some external drive hardware. you might also try some of the packaged software from folks like hewlett packard. they package software with their printers, but you could prolly get it elsewhere online.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software