Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Virus/ Spyware

Old 04-15-2005, 06:25 PM
Angry Virus/ Spyware

If this is not a good place to post please advise where a good place to do so would be please.

Does any one know what Trojan Horse Downloader viruses are . Also I had my daughter download AD Aware and she did a scan and my found tons and tons of spyware bugs on the system. Can someone tell me if it is safe to remove those in file register or file reg? Someone told me not to mess with them, but there are a lot. Will they be on the system forever and will they still track her system use???

This is my sisters computer ( she passed away last year ) and my daughter got the system from her estate properties. So she is quite sick about all of this mess she has. She did a scan with AVG and it found 7 Trojan viruses and she was able to heal 5 and somehow 2 were lost to her before the heal could take place. Can she still heal them??

She has been very careful but had company and they wanted to play games on Yahoo and this all started then!! Any help or links to better understand this mess would be so appreciated!! Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2005, 08:10 PM

This will scan your computer, make sure your firewall or pop up stopper is turned off, re turn them on when you have done, it will get rid of any that are lurking, from then download maybe AVG and its free download from and update it daily.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2005, 10:11 PM
I had a run-in with these types of things (nasty) a few months ago, maybe a year or so now. Through a search I foudn a great site that gives step by step instructions on how to clean this mess up. Go to and to the support forums, and check out the spyware forum. There is a post stuck towards the top that says "READ THIS FIRST..." before posting. They have links to several programs (all free) you can download them right there even. I have cleaned up many a computer in the last several months using these steps. Good luck with it and if you have any question you can send me a message or join major geeks (free) and ask away. They are always very good at answering me, great great support!

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2005, 12:42 AM
Hi Neb,

Firstly, a Trojan, is a program which much like the Trojan Horse of history, has got inside your defenses by pretending to be something else. Once on your system,they can exhibit any number of undesirable traits, including home-page hijack, downloading of undesirable adds, keylogging, and a whole lot of other things you'd rather not have.

The best way to defend yourself from them is to be a bit more selective of the things you click on. However, since you're already infected, its necessary to get rid of them.

No single program will get rid of all Spyware. It's usually necessary to run a couple.

Adaware is a good start, its usually non-destructive, so you can run it without too many qualms. But just like anti-virus programmes, its important that you update and use the latest version.
The latest version of Adaware is SE personal, and its available for free at

Also try Spybot Search and Destroy, it's a bit more aggressive than Adaware, but I've been using it for years with no adverse effects. Its available free from here

Once you've got rid of them, its important to keep them out. Firstly insure you have a Firewall installed, and that its switched on. At the very least you should have Windows Firewall on.

In addition, download and install Spyware Blaster, another free programme, it does not remove spyware, but it does set up a barrier, to prevent the re-infestation of many types of spyware. Find it here Also from the same place download and install Spyware Guard, it actively prevents you from downloading spyware. This is the link.

If you've used these, you should have got rid of your spyware and insured that you are less likely to get infested again.

One last bit of info, you may have been infested by one of the CoolWebSearch variants. These are particularly difficult to deal with. Both AdAware, and Spybot do not always successfully remove all variants 100%.
In this case try downloading CW Shredder, a small free standing piece of software that usually removes it completely. Download it from here.

Lastly, one of the reasons you've been infested, is because you're probably using IE as your browser. IE is notoriously insecure, and because it is the most popular browser, it stands to reason that more Spyware is written for this, than any other browser.

Try using Firefox, I've been using it for quite some time now, and since I have, I've not picked up any Spyware. Download it here

For a bewildering amount of extra information, and for help in removing spyware not addressed by the programmes above, visit Spyware Warrior, here

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 04-26-2005 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Adding extra info and links to help
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2005, 04:07 AM
Added a bit of extra info to post above. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2005, 05:56 AM

just to confirm what you have read, and probably got confused with

We use avg antivirus, zone alarm firewall, and spybot, they are all free and are quite easy to use and install, i to have had trojans etc ( avg and zone alarm do block or let you know they are there ) spybot has cleaned them all with no trouble, We also found that with one trojan it got in through a hole in internet explorer for which there is a update, so check for updates, ( also update spybot the others do it automaticaly )
Just take your time and you will get it sorted

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2005, 04:14 PM
Hi Neb
Gary has posted some great links and advice, I would advise checking the links below for extra security though.
Windows xp Tweaks and Security

Download Hijackthis and then paste the log file here and it will tell you what it thinks are spyware and all other bad processes.

Other programs reccomended are
Trojan Defence Suite ( best on the market )

They will help on your problem.

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2005, 02:27 PM
Wipe hard drive?

Just a thought... are you trying to preserve the data on this machine? If you simply want a useful computer, by far the most complete method for getting rid of adware, spyware, trojans, and the rest is to completely wipe the system hard drive and reinstall the operating system. Any computer shop or handy geek friend would be able to do this for you, or you could easily do it yourself. If this is a Windows PC or a Mac, simply put the original system disk in the hard drive and follow the instructions on doing a complete reinstallation.

In fact, if there is data you want to preserve, consider writing that data to a CD or similar isolated place, reinstall the operating system, and then run the adware/spyware/virus detection programs on the CD files rather than on the entire system.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2005, 09:28 PM
i use ad-aware, hijackthis, zone alarm (the free version), norton anti-virus, and win patrol. all are excellent programs (as mentioned above). they all handle slightly different things (also as mentioned above). zone alarm and win patrol are preventative. the others are cleaners. and for browsing i mostly use mozilla (ya gotta love tabbed browsing).

you shld also keep a clean restore point in windows xp that you're sure is NOT infected in any way. you dont want to RESTORE a virus or other malware.

another good help is something like norton GHOST. this makes an image of your entire drive (or whatever portion you specify) that can be saved OFF of the computer and used to restore your system. it will even backup windows itself, including those files that normally cant be backed up because windows is currently running.

and lastly, if i'm at all suspicious of a program i'm about to install, i use a program called 'Total Uninstall'. this is a logger program. you use IT to install the suspicious (or any) program. as that program installs, total uninstall logs EVERYTHING that is done to your computer, including the registry, and all drives specified. because total uninstall monitors the API (application program interface) and all calls made to it, EVERY API call is logged. and before even running, total uinstall scans your system to see what's there first so it can restore whatever it needs to. it even logs AFTER the install. thus, if your program turns out to be malicious, you run total uninstall again and have it remove the errant program. this is a great program in case any of your other anti-malware fails to spot something.

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2005, 11:55 PM
Just a word of warning.

Kraellin uses Hijack This. This is not a program to be used without expert advice.

It is quite possible to totally wreck your computer using it.

The best way to use it, is to use the logging facility, and post the log to a help forum, such as

Here expert advisers will take you step by step through the procedures you need to do to remove the offending spyware.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software