RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Newsgroups resource.

Old 11-17-2001, 11:53 AM

Newsgroups resource.

The usenet newsgroup system is a totally free resource that I dont often see mentioned here. There's numerous groups covering Photoshop, scanners, printers etc. 40,000 + in fact covering every subject.. Outlook Express can function as a newsgroup client but here's a better one......

http://www.forteinc.com/

The only piece of information you need to obtain the service is the address of your ISP's news server which should be listed with your mail server information. Worth a try believe me. The digital photography newsgroup rec.photo.digital gets 2-300 new posts a day so there's always something of interest. For more detailed information..............

http://groups.google.com/googlegroups/basics.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2001, 01:50 PM
Janitor

Personally I prefer Xnews, but that's just a matter of taste. Forte Agent is an excellent reader, with a good reputation. I just like the Xnews interface better.

On a related note, you can get the Adobe forums via your newsreader, just set the server for adobeforums.com and put in your username and password (required, go to the website and register if you don't have one).
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2001, 02:20 PM

I read the related newsgroups also, but the version I get just lists the headers and is full of "landmines" and stupid little flame wars. The comp.graphics.apps.photoshop group and others are certainly a great resource, but I have to be willing to spend a bit of time to find the choice pieces. Lately, I just go to Google(formerly Deja News) and search the newsgroups for whatever topic I need. In addition, of course, to coming to this well organized website which is full of choice pieces and free from XXX-rated landmines or flame wars.

Do the newsreaders you've listed offer filters?
Update: I visited the two sites mentioned and see that the non-free version of Forte's Agent does offer filters. Do these filters work against the XXX-rated postings? (Or have you guys ever bothered to filter them out?)

Last edited by Doug Nelson; 11-17-2001 at 02:37 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2001, 02:36 PM
Janitor

They mostly all offer filters, but you have to configure them (which means a lot of nasty typing).

Easiest way is just to avoid the alt. newsgroups (unmoderated)

Also the Adobe forums are heavily moderated
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2001, 06:36 PM

Forte Agent is my second favorite piece of software and it only costs about 40 bucks. And there's even a free version.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2001, 07:16 PM

Didn't know about Xnews Doug I'll have to have a look at it, I've used Agent for years and am set in my ways and like its non Microsoft front end.

You get junk on most newsgroups CJ but your only seeing the headers and I suppose by now I filter it out subconsciously although there's a battery of 'complex' filter options in Agent. I tend to scan the headers and tell Agent to download the most promising stuff. Some of the most outrageous behaviour I've ever seen on the net was on one of the Civil War (Yours) groups. I think the group was more dangerous than the actual war!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2001, 11:44 PM

"Some of the most outrageous behaviour I've ever seen on the net was on one of the Civil War (Yours) groups. I think the group was more dangerous than the actual war!!"

I've only attended one of the Civil War reenactments (there was only one Civil War battle fought in Arizona, thank goodness), and the participants seemed quite tame when they weren't shooting at each other (blanks, hopefully). I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find some of them trying to re-fight the war, rather than just re-enact it. Are there Revolutionary War re-enactors in Britain? (or is it called something else over there?)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2001, 04:53 AM

CJ,

I didn't make myself clear, the 'battling' took place on the newsgroup itself with all sorts of flames and personality differences etc. Very sad really because amongst the lunatics there was a lot of interesting material discussed. I'm greatly in favour of 'lively' debate but this was just slanging matches.
I'd say about 75% of newsgroups are rubbish and of no value but the other 25% make up for it. Any views Doug / Mig ?

CJ A few remarks about battle re-enactors on 'Regards from.............
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2001, 11:08 AM
Janitor

Newsgroups have a very bad signal-to-noise ratio, but they have candid information there you can't get anywhere else.

But if they were so great I'd never have felt the need to start RetouchPRO
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2001, 12:13 PM

Agreed. I've just set up Xnews on W98 and after a bit of headscratching it is running Ok. I do like to use the one man one program stuff if possible i.e. PIE, Quimage etc.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software