RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Photosho CS not working properly

Old 05-10-2005, 05:02 PM

Photosho CS not working properly

I just installed photoshop cs and am confused about a couple of things. In photoshop 7 I used to be able to type in a percentage in the status bar hit enter and the image would resize to that percentage, for some reason that won't work in CS. Am I missing something or have I set it up wrong?
Also if I make a selection and hit delete it won't delete I have to go to the menu and click on clear. I'm sorry for asking simple questions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2005, 06:48 AM

Try CS2 !!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2005, 08:28 AM

Susan are you still having trouble?

I have Photoshop CS and I can make a selection and hit delete to delete it as well as change the size of the image by typing in a percentage in the status bar and hitting return.

~T
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2005, 05:19 PM

It's working well now, I don't know what I did wrong but reinstalling it fixed the problem. I thought I was going crazy when I couldn't get it working. Thanks for your offer of help.
Regards
Susan.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2005, 10:25 PM

Photoshop preferences file - recreating, resetting

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbooksList
Try CS2 !!!
Hmm... Based on other posts I've read, this reply seemed out of character for you. Hope you were just joking and that you'll continue making your usual helpful contributions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan
It's working well now, I don't know what I did wrong but reinstalling it fixed the problem.
Reinstalling is a pretty major "fix," but glad you're up and running now.

Next time PS starts acting weird, try recreating the Photoshop Preferences file first. Why?

Besides saving you the uninstall/reinstall hassle, uninstalls/reinstalls risk losing all your custom actions, presets, brush settings, etc.

Anyway, there are a couple ways to do this. Here's one paraphrased from Adobe.com:

Quote:
Recreate the Photoshop preferences file.

Purpose: Possibly eliminate problems that a damaged preferences file might cause.

1. Quit Photoshop.

2. You will probably have to make a Windows folder setting change.
* Open any folder, e.g., \My Documents
* From the folder menus: Tools > Folder Options > View > and turn on option "Show hidden files/folders"

3. Locate you PS preferences file
* Start > Search > Files/Folders
* File name = Adobe Photoshop Prefs.psp

4. Rename the file. Click and right-click on the file name. Change
Adobe Photoshop Prefs.psp to something like
Adobe Photoshop Prefs.OLD

5. Start Photoshop. Photoshop creates a new preferences file.

If the problem continues, the preferences file isn't the cause. To restore custom settings, delete the new preferences file and restore the original name of the previous preferences file: Adobe Photoshop Prefs.psp.
Something to stuff into your bag of tricks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2005, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Reinstalling is a pretty major "fix," but glad you're up and running now.
I had only just installed it when I couldn't get it working, I'm pretty new to all of this photo fixing stuff. I don't know what I did wrong but I'm happy now it's working
I'll copy that section about recreating the preferences and keep it for future reference. I'm sure I'm going to mess up again and need it. Thanks for that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2005, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan
I had only just installed it when I couldn't get it working, I'm pretty new to all of this photo fixing stuff. I don't know what I did wrong but I'm happy now it's working
I'll copy that section about recreating the preferences and keep it for future reference. I'm sure I'm going to mess up again and need it. Thanks for that.
Not to worry... You're following in the footsteps of all who came before you. Everyone was new to all this once upon a time.

Suggestion: Create a folder within \My Documents and name it something like [color]\My Custom Photoshop Files [/color]. Inside it create some subfolders, such as:
\plugins **
\actions
\brushes
\presets
\textures
\gradients

Then, as time goes on and you start acquiring plugins (puchase or internet download freebees), create or download actions, custom brushes, presets, etc., save them in this set of folders. (** in the Edit > Preferences dialog is a setting to point PS to this secondary plugins folder.)

This will simplify things when you upgrade to the next version of Photoshop or prevent you from self-inflicted pain (loss of custom files) if you ever have to reinstall the current version of Photoshop.

Good luck on your journey and have lots of fun learning. Photoshop is a total blast and the more you use it, the more you will appreciate its tremendous power.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software