RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

EVG Virus Program

Old 05-24-2005, 02:23 AM

Hi Neb,

The trouble with AVG7, is that it does not configure itself automatically for Outlook Express, you have to set things up yourself. Pretty short sighted seeing as OE is the most popular mail client.

OK, to set up manually is a bit complex and time consuming, but I'll try to walk you through it, step by step.

First you need to know your existing settings in OE. To find these out, open OE, then click on Tools/Accounts. This will open a window with Internet Accounts. Click on the Mail tab. Note the Account name. Now click on the Properties button.

This will open another window. Click on Advanced, and note down the settings for your SMTP port (probably 25) and your incoming (probably POP3 and port 110)

Don't change any setting, just click OK till you're out.

Now, open AVG, and click on Control Centre/E-mail Scanner/Properties.
Click on the Servers tab.
Highlight your incoming (probably POP3) and click the modify button.
Set type of login to fixed host, check your mail server name is correct (if not change to that taken from OE), set local port to 110 (or whatever setting was from OE). Click OK to save change.
Now highlight outgoing (probably SMTP) set login to Fixed Host, server name to that in OE, local port to 25 (or whatever you found in OE).
Click OK to save change, and OK till you're out of AVG set up.

Now one last thing, back to OE, Tools/Accounts/Mail/Properties and click on the Servers tab.

Note the POP3 address and the SMTP address in case you have to change them back. Now change them both to 127.0.0.1 Click OK to save, then OK your way out.

Your AVG e-mail filter is now set up, and should work OK.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OE1.jpg (33.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg OE2.jpg (23.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg OE3.jpg (33.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg OE4.jpg (33.2 KB, 1 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2005, 02:25 AM

Screen shots for AVG set up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AVG2.jpg (33.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg AVG3.jpg (30.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg AVG4.jpg (40.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg AVG6.jpg (42.4 KB, 1 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2005, 02:43 AM

Neb, I just wanted to say I've had the exact same problem with AVG and my email program (Incredimail). I was running it in addition to my PC-Cillin and probably didn't need both running so I've just uninstalled my AVG. No help at all to you I know, I just wanted to let you know you aren't alone
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2005, 07:42 AM

Neb, in another thread you were asking about Firefox (Mozilla), why not go the whole way and install Mozilla Thunderbird?
I couldn't get a single e-mail out through Outlook, took five minutes to get Thunderbird in action.

Thunderbirds are go! (I am getting old)

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2005, 07:16 AM

Thanks to everyone for all the help. Some of you have taken a lot of time to respond and that is so appreciated. I dislike things like this so much as I just do not know what to do when they happen. I try not to fool around with things I know nothing about on the computer..YA Know... just work for Granny and all will be well lol.

I can not understand why AVG is having so many problems with this issue. When I went to the site suggested , it looks like a lot of people are having this problem. I found the place to be a little too demanding for me , and so choose to stay with the people here for advice.

What I have done is this. I have disabled the scanner and can now get e-mail. I have subscribed to a virus and spam protection program through my local ISP. They scan for problems before they come into my e-mail box. do you think this is enough protection? I am not sure. I did keep all other functions running in AVG.

I would like to put the other e-mail client on here , but seem afraid to do so for a fear of adding to my problems. I am having enough problems with my computer as is. If anyone thinks turning the scanner off is not protecting my system from in-out virus please let meknow. Thanks Again ALL...Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2005, 07:33 AM

Hi Neb,

I installed AVG just a few weeks ago on my new PC, and have been having problems on and off with downloading email as well. I finally figured out that AVG was the cause. I've also been trying out Avast! which is another free antivirus program so maybe you could give that a go.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2005, 10:55 AM

Caitlin, which e-mail client do you use, if it's Outlook Express, look at my earlier post, it usually solves problems with AVG and OE. If any other, make sure you have downloaded the version with the correct plug-in for the e-mail client you use.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software