RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

EVG Virus Program

Old 05-23-2005, 10:59 AM

EVG Virus Program

Hello:
I have been having a terriable time with accessing my e-mail program. The AVG program comes up and says it is scanning and it just keeps scanning and scanning . I have watched it and it goes to different addresses trying to access or download my mail. Can someone please help me understand this and what might be going on with this program.

I am thinking of goingto buy Norton today as I have had it in the past and am used to how it functions. Does anyone use AVG here ? If so can you help me understand what is happening? I get a message that my server is not responding?? HELP please. NEB
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2005, 11:26 AM

You may want to post your exact problem to their forum:

AVG Forum

I found one entry that may help:

Quote:
If you mean that it always shows that it is scanning in the systray, then you do have a problem.

Find out where your AVG Email QUEUE is located at by opening the Control Center, double-click the Email Scanner and click the Properties button. Then navigate to that location and empty all of the directories if you find files in them. Don't delete the directories themselves.

Normally this doesn't happen, but at times if something in the past has stopped its normal process, it can happen. A common cause of this can be if your email client is set to hang-up after sending using a dial-up account, AVG doesn't get to finish its scan and send then. Obviously the solution here is to turn off that option in the email client and give AVG more time to finish before disconnecting from the internet.

~AVG Moderator
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2005, 04:20 PM

Screen shot

Hi TPaul: I am not a computer guru at all. I am going to post a SS of what I found when doing the directions posted. Can you take a look at it and then respond please? Do you see anything that needs deleted? There are a lot of folders showing but most are empty except for the one I have open in the SS. Thanks Nebgranny.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AVG.jpg (90.9 KB, 7 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2005, 05:21 PM

I am by no means a AVG guru. Your best bet would be to post a message to the AVG forum.

How to Ask for AVG Forum Help

From their message, however, it looks like once you locate the QUEUE, you browse to the location and EMPTY the files in the directories underneath the QUEUE, but you DO NOT delete the directories themselves. I checked the folders in my QUEUE and there were no files in any of them.

As for your SS, those are the same folders I have. You can right-click on them and click properties to see if there are any files in them.

Last edited by T Paul; 05-23-2005 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Added link
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2005, 05:24 PM

You also might want to make sure you have the most current update...build 322

Build 322 Info

Updates
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2005, 05:26 PM

One other helpful post:

Quote:
AVG e-mail scanner and other e-mail scanners
Posted by: kodl - Grisoft Team (IP Logged)
Date: May 22, 2005 06:37PM

If you run the AVG Personal E-mail Scanner in the automatic mode (which is the default) it is important that you do not use any other similar e-mail scanner on your system (e.g. Symantec Security Suite etc.). Similar to running two different on-access scanners, two automatic e-mail scanners may conflict!

For example, both AVG and Symantec e-mail scanners automatically grab traffic on port 110 (POP3 e-mail connection). As the two do the same thing, they may easily end up in an endless loop (AVG e-mail scanner grabbing Symantec's grabbing AVG grabbing Symantec's.....). Should you really want to run both of them (which - again - is not recommended), it is necessary that you change AVG Personal Email Scanner settings to manual mode and do not use the automatic mode. To my best knowledge, there is no similar option in the Symantec scanner.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2005, 09:04 PM

Gosh TPaul, I sure did not mean to offend anyone. The comment was ment to let you know I was not good with this kind of thing. As a matter of fact, I hate it as I never know what to do to help the problem. I mostly do creative things with my computer and never ever play in areas I know nothing about.

I am very grateful you responded to my problem. Most all of the folders are empty except for the one showing in the ss. Did you IN one and it has the 10110 folder in it. I do not know if this is what I am to delete or not.

Thanks for all your help and I did go and register at AVG, but have not posted yet. Did not seem to open right. Thanks Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2005, 11:24 PM

No offense taken and happy to help out. I fully understand computer frustrations! I just wanted to let you know that I'm no guru either and offer up the AVG links so you could go directly to the real gurus!

BTW....Do not delete the 1010 Folder as that is a directory folder.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2005, 11:45 PM

I disabled the scanner and can now get into my e-mail...I pay for a virus and spam protection from my isp, wonder if that will be enough . I kept the AVG virus program just turned off the scanner, and DO NOT KNOW HOW TO START IT AGAIN!!! :>) ..neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2005, 11:49 PM

You should see an icon for it in your system's tray (lower right-hand corner of the screen). You can restart it from there, or go to START>ALL PROGRAMS and select the AVG program.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software