RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Cut out plug-in for Photoshop

Old 05-29-2005, 03:24 PM

Cut out plug-in for Photoshop

Hi all,
Has anyone heard of Vertus who apparently do a cut out plug in for Photoshop. I heard it mentioned but got no more details?
Ta,
Richard
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2005, 01:40 AM

Hello, Richard:

Welcome to RetouchPRO. For information on this plugin see:

http://www.vertustech.com/index.htm

Thoughts:
* I would be reluctant to purchase version 1.0 of any software.
* As of 5/29/05, no trial versions available.
* I have had Knockout 2.0 for a couple of years. I don't remember the last time I used it. I almost always use layer masks, but everyone has different requirements.
* I would highly recommend you look into Photoshop Masking and Compositing, the most recent book written by Katrin Eismann. If you learn the techniques presented in that book, you will be a lot better off in my opinion.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2005, 05:38 AM

Doesn't look like the product itself is available yet either - I clicked the buy now button to try to find out the price and it doesn't go anywhere. I also have knockout but rarely use it since using layer masks.

Christine
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2005, 12:03 PM

Thanks to both of you - I will definitely check out the book. I did see somewhere that there would be a 30 days trial version but can't see any info on it on the site.

Richard
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2005, 05:50 AM

Update on this thread

I got the following email from Vertustech.

"The Fluid Mask demo for PC should be released by the end of August, the full version will be priced at £299 (€399, $499)."

Would have to be very good to warrant that sort of price

Christine
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2005, 02:19 AM

At the DCP Systems web site you can navigate your way into the tutorial page for Fluid Mask, and see movies that demo how it works. It looks like it offers a great deal of control and flexibility. But still, the real test would be trying the demo and comparing to other tools. But I don't see a Windows demo there. So I tried the actual Vertustech site, but it's been down all day.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2005, 10:58 PM

would agree with xaran, I used to use knockout for every job when I first got it then I moved back to masks and got better with those than any rxtract program can do so never looked back not even for a rush job.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2005, 10:54 AM

RichardD,

If you're still interested in the Vertus plugin it's now available to download as a free trial. You didn't mention what platform you're running but the demo is only available for the Mac OSX and PS7 or higher at the present time. The Windows version is still under development.

I've tried it myself recently out of curiosity and found it very impressive. Selecting those bits to remove or keep is as simple as dabbing your brush or pencil on those areas and assigning them a mask type. You can then adjust those masks manually using the pen tool or let the software flood to the edges of your masks automatically. All-in-all it's a great time saver and the results are much better than I personally could achieve using other techniques.

The free trial is great but given the price tag (£299) I think Vertus are really aiming for the professional end of the market.

Dave.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2005, 11:35 AM

The MAC demo has been available for some time - The PC version is due by the end of August.

I must admit I was impressed by the tutorial video but at £299 dont think it will be top of my list.

Christine
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2005, 08:52 AM

From what I've read, I believe Vertus are targeting the plugin at professional design studios who might consider the price a good deal.

If you're a business who handles lots of cutouts on a regular basis and it reduces the time to do them from an hour down to 5 minutes you might consider the software to be worth the investment.

It doesn't take much work at all at a professional level to claw back the £299 cost.

Dave.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software