RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Desktop Tweak

Old 07-22-2005, 03:23 PM

lol dee dee the thought has occurred

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2005, 06:27 PM

Hi Craig,

Current version of HJT is 1.99.1.

However, HJT is more an analysis tool than a removal tool. Certainly it removes certain items, but in many cases it does not remove the core processes and programs that cause the problem. These often have to be removed manually.

Also, certain items on your HJT log (010 items) must NEVER be removed using HJT as they will damage your internet connection. Other tools must be used.

If the problem persists with any site other than the one earlier, I would advise posting on one of the HJT forums, and have one of the experts look over your log.

If you need a list of the good ones, I'll be happy to post one.

Best of luck,

Gary.

PS. If you want to clean out a lot of the temp files and other build up of junk on your computer, try CCleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2005, 10:26 PM

thanks gary. it would seem this is the only site this does this on. so, i suspect i've either got some kind of java or activex thing turned on for this site, or something in a temp file that's only affecting this site. or, maybe it's got something to do with the .net framework from microsoft. i also have that installed. at any rate, it's not a big problem so far. if it starts showing up on other sites, i'll prolly have to kill it, but for now, not gonna worry about it any more.

i also just checked my version of hjt and it's only 1.97.7, so might update it this weekend.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2005, 02:28 PM

ok, this desktop heap thing was of particular interest to me, as, i've been having problems with paint shop pro quitting unexpectedly during work. and it always quits with that message of 'send report to microsoft yes/no'. generally, this was happening, the crash, whenever i was using brushes that take a lot of memory, like large clones, smudges, air brush and so on and in rapid succession, one stroke right after the other. i could see that the harddrive light was coming on a lot, usually indicating swap file activity, which means 'you've run out of standard memory'. i've got 512 megs in this machine and it's a 1.7 ghz machine. psp had no problems before with all this.

now, it never used to do this, but since getting on retrouchpro i've been finding and installing plugins like crazy. and, apparently, psp 7 when you load it up, pre-loads the plugins too. so, i've been eating up memory...somewhere. and this heap thing sounds like it may be the place.

so, i made the suggested tweak and raised the middle value to 4096 and changed none of the others. so far, windows hasnt complained. i just rebooted for the effects to take place and no adverse effects....yet.

i also removed 'filter factory complete', which is a large series of filters i hardlly ever use. they're kind of weird.

so, we'll see. i'll let you all know how this turns out.

Craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software