RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

2D Histogram plugin

Old 07-24-2005, 08:34 AM
Janitor

2D Histogram plugin

I haven't tried this at all, but it sounds interesting. I thought it might appeal to some of the more mathematically inclined. Don't forget to say "hi" to the guy, he's done a lot of work on this:

2D Histogram plugin

Here's an example of it in use. There are others on his site, and other tools as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2005, 12:11 PM

thanks, doug.

some interesting items there. i've d/l'd all of them and will give them a shot in psp 7.xx.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2005, 01:17 PM

Ah! Ya caught me with my pants down. I'm working on getting more things in place. More notes, more fiddles, nodes to create and connect, and various other things. I even have a volunteer whom is going to write some content for 2D Histogram and 2D Remap.

Some stuff that helped kick this off:
Wiki and Things 2D
Metal Berries

I work (mostly) in a vacuum, or under a rock, or something, so it's good to see something take off this well. Kudos, Doug.

Definitely more material to come.
So much work to do, so little time.

Last edited by Stroker; 07-24-2005 at 01:33 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2005, 03:48 PM

i installed all the plugins. i already had colour2colour. nice plugin

the others, particularly the 2dhistogram one are going to take some study. someone's thinking in dimensions i hadnt thought of and it's going to take a while to figure this out. i only ran these on a very quick, cursory basis just to see what they do. my basic conclusion is, it's going to take more than a cursory look to know what's going on and to be able to use these with some skill. this isnt the fault of the plugin, i might add

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2005, 05:04 PM

Dude, Colour2Colour is easily my favorite. I can't tell you how many colour casted photos I have fixed with C2C with but a few clicks. My only gripe about it is that it might have too much functionality.

I agree that 2D Histo/Remap is a bit esoteric. If you are not used to thinking in dimensions, might take awhile for that Aha! moment when everything clicks. I've got two volunteers that are helping me with examples, tutorials, and things.

One thing that helps is just dinking around to see the correlation between 2D Histo/Remap and the photo.
- Copy photo
- Run 2D Histo using whatever 2 axis strike your fancy
- Pick an interesting blob of white and paint it yellow or red or something
- Paint everything else black
-- Maybe Smudge or Gauss to help see the transitions
- Save it as a bitmap
- Load it up into 2D Remap using the same 2 axis that you originally used in 2D Histo

Once you start to get the hang of it, you can do some major cool things. One example that I'm working on is Hue acrobatics that just plain rock. Want low luminosity magentas to be blue? Just paint it. High saturation reds to be yellow? Paint it.

To get even more esoteric, you can use 2D Histo/Remap to manipulate colour space in the same way that Displace manipulates x and y position.

Man, I love this stuff.

Ah, I'm going back under my rock for a bit.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2005, 09:33 PM

oh! well, a tiny bulb went off just from what you wrote here. 2dhisto to remap...ok! hmmm, so, could you take a 2d histo from one image and apply it to another? hmmm.....

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2005, 12:10 AM

Light bulb, eh? Okay, another nudge coming.

Colour Matching with 2D

That one is a bit different and takes a bit of a Displace approach with a few twists. While Displace does x and y simultaneously, I show hue and sat in seperate operations. Could do hue and sat simultaneously, but I'm not in the mood for shortcuts. Works out the same way anyways. Also, it's a direct manipulation as oppossed to off-setting.

Why this example? Because you mentioned remapping or matching one photo to another. Actually, I've got tons to say about this.

Am I going too fast? Aren't I supposed to be under my rock?

Anyways, lots of free time coming soon. Let the editing and clarifications begin. Mix some spackle and get crazy with the Cheez Whiz.

Last edited by Stroker; 07-28-2005 at 12:26 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software