RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Paint Shop Pro 9

Old 08-05-2005, 03:28 PM

lol. the thought never occurred to me.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2005, 01:25 AM

Talking

Quote:
Craig wrote:
martha,
oh, wasnt even aware that macromedia had a graphic editor. makes sense, i guess, what with flash and dreamweaver. how's it compare with PS? do you use it quite a bit or mostly PS? ...
.... thanks umm, i have a reflection tool? i'll have to look for that. this was just a straight put one image below another and erase the middle to let the one shine through. ...
Hi Craig!

My first attempts to draw with a graphic editor were with PSP, then used PS 5, after that tried Fireworks 4.0 then got MX 2004 (flash, fireworks, dreamweaver and Freehand) and now I also have PS CS2. I would say that Photoshop is great for photomanipulation, retouching and creating marvelous effects. Many great effects can also be obtained with Fireworks, the "experts" say that the best feature of FW is the possibility of creating great vector images and there is also the ease of interchangeability (phew some word ! ) with Dreamweaver. You can find good examples of what can be done with FW here.

I tend to use more PS now as realized that there are some limitations in FW as compared with PS.
Regarding your "reflection tool" is that I misunderstood your explanation, what I wanted to say was that I liked the image you posted

Regards - Martha

P.S. Gary -
erhh hmm, I don't quite think that the idea of having a nice "beefy" manual is to throw at one's wife ?

Last edited by Marthig; 08-06-2005 at 01:36 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2005, 09:38 AM

martha,

thanks i would guess then that FW was meant as a companion to flash (and dreamweaver), being that flash is based in vector. so, that makes sense.

i also recently found a site offering a pretty good deal on the 'academic' version of the MX 2004 suite. may be too good to pass up. i've been drooling a lot lately.

Quote:
what I wanted to say was that I liked the image you posted
and thank you. that porthole thing is actually a mirror. i found it on a site that sells them

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2005, 03:25 PM

PaintShop Pro X?

Just when you think you've got the latest greatest...

http://www.corel.com/promotions/psp_...x_1/index.html

Guess this explains the good deals on PSP v9.

- Kurt
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2005, 03:51 PM

d'oh! you might know, just when i buy 9, they come out with 10. lol.

it does look pretty good, though and only $60 for a boxed version with extras (pre-release price good to aug 31). looks like they've added a version of the stamp tool and a high pass filter for sharpening. true 16 bit and raw stuff. and some others that look good. thumbnails now in the layer palette. not so sure how good their auto-photo-fix will be. the current one in 9 is kind of hit and miss, but 10 allows for seeing it and then making adjustments to the auto-fix, so that shld help.

what i dont see is a better auto-selection tool. 'pick tool' might be it, but not enough information yet. that's the one thing i have the most trouble with is picking up items out of an image where the surrounding area is all different sorts of shades, hues, illumination and so on and no one setting in psp 9 will handle that currently. the 'edit selection' works fine, but i'd prefer a better 'lasso/magic wand' tool.

all in all, for $60 boxed, this looks like a pretty good deal.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2005, 05:03 PM

I've used the auto-photo-fix in Paint Shop Album 5, and it doesn't do too bad of a job for quick adjustments. It has a wizard that allows you to make simple tweaks as it steps you through the various stages - hopefully they're including that in PSP 'X'.

As far as better selection tools, your suggestions are right on. Although it's not 'auto select', I'd like to see a Quick Mask feature like Photoshop's...

- Kurt
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2005, 05:10 PM

Quote:
It has a wizard that allows you to make simple tweaks as it steps you through the various stages - hopefully they're including that in PSP 'X'.
yup. sounds like it.

any idea of the release/shipping date?

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2005, 05:28 PM

They sent me an email announcing the release, with a link for placing a "pre-order". In it they say 'Product will ship in early September 2005. '

- Kurt
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software