RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Best Software for Collages

Old 08-26-2005, 09:11 AM

Collages

Hello I'm new to the group and and somewhat new to making callages with PSP and PS7. I made one in the past for the same coworker (around 3 years ago) and she liked it... Now she whats me to make a collage that would be 30x60. I have a order of where to put the photos and I know where I could print such a big photo... (http://www.elcocolor.com/hot_internet_only_specials.htm)

My question is would it be easer to build a collage in PSP or PS7? and if you have any other advise to make this easy.

THANKS,
Phil
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2005, 09:33 AM

I dont use psp so I dont have an opinion about that, but I would like to suggest a less traditional method of colage making.

I am self taught and I notice those schooled in photoshop are taught non-destructive methods of editing in case changes need to be made later

My feeling is that many times the extra time spent in creating clipping paths and masks often negate any time saved. I would rather just keep untouched copies of my files in case i need to go back and re-do something.

With that in mind my preferred method of constructing a colage (unless I'm pretty confident there's going to be major revisions) Is to layout my images, and then using the lasoo tool with the proper amount of feathering in combination with the eraser tool set with the proper opacity, to fade out the edges in the desired shapes.

Good Luck
Bill

my digital art gallery
http://www.billcallis.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2005, 11:41 AM

plove53,

welcome to RP.

i dont really have an answer to your question. i use psp 7 and 9, but not PS. however, i do recall seeing one or two collages done and posted here on retrouchpro. you might do a search here on the forums on 'collage' and see if you get an answer that way.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2005, 12:04 PM

Photoshop is much better to use for that. There is a lot of flexibilty with the layers that I like such as if there is a photo that needs to be lightened or darkend a bit then you can do that seperately without touching the others. You can also make a template for the collage first of the placement of the photos and size and then go back and just drop in the pics.

Loverly
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2005, 05:19 PM

You can do pretty much the same in the two programs, but I think Photoshop got the best workspaces, the best palettes and the best algorithms. And last: the best teachers and turorials.

Look into layers and masks. That’s the key to make good collages.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2005, 01:17 AM

I have just got started with PS collages as I've been working them in PhotoImpact for the past 2 years. I've got the PI collages worked out well and am now having a look round PS.

One thing I noticed about PI vs: PS (I use the PS6 version, BTW) is the ease of use. I may stumble across an easier way to use layers for collages in PS, but I'm still at the stepping off point I'm afraid.

I may post a link to my collage work.

Maureen
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2005, 10:01 AM

Thanks for eveyones help I funnished the first of the two poster collages
Here is a link to the first one
http://www.pbase.com/philsmith/image/48314315

I'm also going to post it in Critiques... Let me know what you think

I did it in PS7

Thanks again,
phil
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2005, 10:13 AM

umm, it's big! you might want to resize that; say, maybe half that size? this might also give you a bit better resolution/clarity on the overall. yes, i know you want to be able to see everything and make out who is who and so on, but i think you could get away with a smaller size and still be ok on that.

looked at your other pics there also. very nice.

Craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software