RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Remove White plug-in

Old 09-25-2005, 05:18 PM

Nan, the only place I can think of is Adobe's own User to User forums. You might get lucky and find a Mac-head willing to do it for you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2005, 02:26 PM

Smile remove white

I have Mac's Remove white and Joe's Eliminate white and Eliminate black that I use a lot. They have different results and this morning I got to wondering what other remove white filters were out there. I have Cybia's alphaworks but really had not used them. They were stored on a cd. Found you and am now working with Transparent Shades. I like it.

Personally, what I use the eliminate white filters for is when I am working with photos to make them look like art work. I have Paint Shop Pro 7. A few years ago when I got my first scanner AdobePhotoDeluxe came with it. I use the colored pencil filter a lot, making sure I have white set as the background color. I remove the white from the layer. I also use Xero's lineart filter creating black lines on a white background and then remove the white. I put this layer on top. I love the looks I get from doing this kind of thing. I think I will continue to experiment with the different filters because they all seem to give me different results. Thanks for the Tansparent Shades.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2005, 11:01 PM

NP, Willie. Meow.

If anybody has any ideas for a PC/Win filter, I'm all ears. If I find it interesting in one form or another and I can do it, good chance I will.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2005, 04:31 PM

stroker,

one of the biggest shortcomings of both psp and ps (from what i've seen in these forums), is selection and pulling images from a picture. vertus seems to have one for the macs and keeps saying they are coming out for one on the pc 'soon', but it's also quite expensive.

now, i can manually mask anything and make it a selection and pull the image, but the auto functions like magic wand just often dont do the trick without additional hand work. here's a good example of a recent post where selection is difficult because of bleeding and similar background colors and brightness as the foreground: http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-compositing/11717-help-making-selection.html the faded tips of the palm trees, the bleeding over from the sky colors, the similar background/foreground all conspire to keep from making this a simple selection. it can be done, but takes a lot of convoluted actions to do it and even then isnt always satisfactory.

this is the one area of psp that i find the most lacking.... so far. i'm still reading the new manual for psp 10 and it would seem they've made some changes; something to do with multiple editing types on the same image, but i'm not quite there yet. and i also notice ps users have similar difficulties at times with selections.

i find it interesting that the human eye can see the differences well enough to know how it shld be edited for a selection, but that the computer programs cant seem to make the distinctions well enough without a lot of human intervention.

so, if you could crack that one...

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2005, 11:11 PM

Ah, now that's a conundrum. It is something that I have been giving thought to for awhile. The problem at the very core is that humans see with comprehension while computers can only manipulate and extrapolate. The trick is in finding a medium between the two. How much human interaction and in what manner, and how much grunt work by the machine?

As far as selections go, this is the *exact* reason why I did 2D Histogram and 2D Remap. All I wanted to do is 'paint' a selection in a 2 dimensional manner. When I took these into the realm of RGB, I found lots more uses than just cool selection tricks.

I actually have a few unreleased filters that do other selection tricks. One defines a box in RGB space much in the same way that Select > Colour Range does in Lab space. I have another one that does a spheroid in RGB space. One of these days I'm going to look into meta-balls for some serious ChOps in 3d space.

If you can believe it, I do have another trick up my sleave. There is something that I was playing with last year and it was very promising. A rather flexible idea that can do some amazing things. I was blending two images together like no blending mode could ever dream of. I was creating procedural textures that tile in 4 dimensions. Could to amazing contrast tricks and fabulous desaturating things.

Simple idea, but hard to understand and control.

Now that I know a lot more about Filter Meister, I might have to give it a serious go from within Photoshop. As a matter of fact, with my recent fiddlings, I should be able to come up with a suitable interface.

A filter with lots of potential for making tricky selections is Evaluate by Richard Rosenman. Scroll down near the bottom: http://www.richardrosenman.com/photoshop.htm
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2005, 12:06 PM

stroker,

thank you for the link to Rosenman's site. i d/l'd all his freebies and looked at his pay ones also. that depth of field one looked quite amazing, especially the java demos.

and yes, my eye caught Evaluator also, along with a couple others. it may even fill a void i was also thinking of asking you about. the current color replacer in psp 10 is ok, but limited. and, in fact, was one of the things i was trying to use to help with selections, but was having trouble with because you dont have enough control over. Evaluator may do the trick. havent tried it yet, but the text description was encouraging.

i only get a slight flavor of what you're talking about when you say 'procedural textures'. almost sounds like animated textures (which would be interesting in itself). i actually had an idea for doing animated textures once, but not being much of a programmer, i let it pass. but i dont really think that's what you mean.

and as for 4d space...well, we're back to 'Craig just got lost again' but that's ok, i like your work in practice. i've been using your lum frequencies quite a bit, probably not quite as you envisioned anyone using it, but using it nonetheless. sometimes i use it for sharpening a bit, sometimes for changing contrasts, and sometimes to clean up an image a bit, oddly enough. i also gave it a shot on deciphering an erased bit of text on the back of a photo that someone posted in another forum. got an interesting depth of field on the grain of the photo paper itself with that one. rather than trying to reveal the erased text i tried to find the impression of the pen on the paper.

so, despite my not being able to always follow what you're doing and the theory behind it ( : ) ), i still find your pieces interesting and useful and look forward to your next one.

Craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software