RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

PC/Win Filter: High Pass Lum

Old 09-04-2005, 07:00 PM

PC/Win Filter: High Pass Lum

I lost the thread, but somebody was complaining about High Pass over-saturating. This is also something that I hate working around and I just happen to have a very fast Gaussian blur algorithm. Finally got a little bit motivated to start my own filter called High Pass Lum.

Extreme beta, so please don't mind the mess of it. Functional, though. Run the filter, set q, and let it do it's magic. Once back to the Layer palette, set blending mode of layer to Luminosity.

I'm going to start cleaning it up and adding things in the next day or so. One thing seriously on my list is a few speed optimizations. I should be able to improve the speed to around 65% of it's current. Will also put RGB back together instead of just outputting Lum. Few other ideas but will have to wait to see how things go.

Since this is extreme beta and I haven't starting waxing it yet, I'm open to whatever.

PC/Win
RGB 8-bit
Filter > Tech Slop > High Pass Lum
Attached Files
File Type: zip TS_highpasslum.zip (87.3 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by Stroker; 09-05-2005 at 12:46 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2005, 12:48 AM

Above attachment updated.

- Made it HsY friendly so you don't have to mess with Luminosity mode if you don't want to.

- Added two tweaks to fade high and low. High being >128 and Low being <128 in the High Pass pass. These tweaks are relative.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2005, 11:01 AM

stroker,

just downloaded and tried your new update. interesting plugin. i dont think i have a 'high pass' filter in psp, at least not that i'm aware of, so i dont really have anything to compare yours to. so, i'm curious; what does the one in ps do, how is it commonly used and how does yours compare?

i did run in it on the barros picture in the photo art forum and i liked what i got... just not much understanding of how it got there on a low q (whatever that is) it seemed to only affect the picture up to about a setting of 100 or so. the high seemed to sharpen the high tones while the low did the same on the lower end. is this primarily a sharpening filter, a contrast filter, or what?

i do like the effects, whatever it is. i'm attaching the barros picture that i used your filter on q = 1, high = all the way right, low = all the way right. then set the blending mode of that layer to burn and merged.

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image2.jpg (96.3 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by Craig Walters; 09-05-2005 at 08:38 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2005, 12:00 PM

High Pass is basically Gaussian Blur with an extra step to make it identity 128. The major identifying mark of High Pass is lots of 50% grey (see attachment). High Pass is commonly used for sharpening or enhancing local contrast.

When used for some things, High Pass will over-saturate pixels. This is because it's an RGB operation. What I've done is taken out the over-saturation aspect by operating solely on Luminosity. This can be done manually, but I use this technique quite a bit and it was getting tedious.

Theoretically it is very close to the manual method. However, my filter can't do sub-pixel operations. I've done a few comparitive tests and they came out well, but not totally thorough tests just yet.

This basically enhances contrast based on frequency. If you have a photo with lots of small detail, the try lower q. If it's a photo with large patches, try higher q.

* q is analogous to radius

Now, if the kids would leave me alone for more than a few minutes, I could get my next thing done to extreme beta.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg highpass_sample.1jpg.jpg (17.5 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2005, 04:05 PM

Would I be safe in assuming that this is a Photoshop filter and it's compatible with CS?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2005, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Would I be safe in assuming that this is a Photoshop filter and it's compatible with CS?
Yes. Should also be compatible with other programs that can use 8bf filter files. But I'm not very familiar with the FilterMeister compatability list as it changes with versions of FM and host programs.

Time to kick me in the pants for steam-rolling. Please be gentle.

I took a break, got refreshed, and then went on with a similiar filter that I call Lum Frequencies. This breaks the Lum down into 3 frequencies based on q. You can then tweak the upper and lower halfs of the different frequencies similiar to High Pass Lum.

Sometimes it's good and sometimes it's bad. Like any tool, knowing when it when it is good is half of the solution.

edit:
Logic bomb found in Lum Frequencies. It's in the low frequencies. Not sure how long it will take me to explicitly identify and blast.

edit2:
That didn't take long. Amazing what a difference a simple +25 can do in the right places. Attachment updated.
Attached Files
File Type: zip TS_lumfrequencies.zip (93.0 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Stroker; 09-05-2005 at 10:42 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2005, 12:49 AM

pjstaley,

it works for me in psp 9.

stroker,

tried the new one. oops, just saw you updated yet again. lol. ya gotta love beta. i'll have to give the new one a swing now.

from what i could see of the 2nd version, you added a mid tone filter. nice touch.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2005, 08:12 AM

As it turns out, the logic bomb wasn't completely taken care of. The +25 was only part of the problem. The other part of the problem was in only processing the low frequencies just once. This time I'm going to give it a more thorough work-out before updating. Maybe work on the UI a little bit and a few other little things.

Not really mid-tones, but mid-frequencies. Working in frequencies can be a bit hard to grasp at first. But if you can grasp it, it can be a good tool to have in your toolbox.

Attached is a chunk of a photo that I broke apart into frequencies.
Upper-Left: low frequencies
Upper-Right: mid frequencies
Lower-Left: high frequencies
Lower-Right: all 3 put back together

In that example, you should be able to see that the mezzo resides mostly in the high frequencies and partially in the medium frequencies.

So much work to do, so little time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mezzelumfrequencies.jpg (40.7 KB, 46 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2005, 02:02 PM

a couple questions here, stroker. what does
Quote:
my filter can't do sub-pixel operations.
mean?

and when you're talking frequencies, are you talking about light frequencies as in the 400 to 700 nano meter range or something else?

and what is 'mezzo'?

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2005, 05:36 PM

Sub-pixel operations can use decimal points. If you use Gauss radius = 2.5, then you are blurring out to 2 full pixels plus 1/2 of a pixel. Currently, I can't play that kind of jazz. I'm not even sure if my tools allow for it. Something I'll have to look into one of these days.

Not frequencies as in light. Rather, rolling hills (low) and jagged rocks (high) added together to make a complete terrain.

In the example that I attached in my last post, there are those horizontal white lines. I don't know for sure if that phenomenon has a name, so I just call it mezzo after a filter called Mezzotint.

Started the node to make this official:
Lum Frequencies
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software