RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Corel Paint Shop Pro 10...now available!

Old 09-22-2005, 03:39 PM

Corel Paint Shop Pro 10...now available!

as the title says, psp 10 is now out. ordered mine today. shld be here in 3 to 6 days! $129 for the full version, $59 for the upgrade version (boxed, not downloaded). will keep you informed and give some first impressions when it gets here.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2005, 12:21 AM

well, that was fast! got X today. arrrgh! they removed my 'browse' viewer and put it in a toolbar. bah!

love the new thumbnails in the layers palette!

they added some new sub-windows, but i removed those right away. useless to me.

they've moved a few things around also, but nothing too weird so far.

ok, let me amend the browser thing. you can expand it to something very similar to the old browser window and have it auto-hide. so, that's ok. the thumbs are a bit small, but maybe there's a way to change that too.

seems there's a new edge selection tool too. 'edge seeker'. still playing with that one.

havent done a lot yet. will let you know of any other gems.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2005, 03:17 PM

ok, just a bit more here. this one may throw you if you get the upgrade version of X like i did. i was expecting it to overwrite jasc paint shop pro. it didnt. even though i bought the 'upgrade' version, it installed as 'Corel Paint Shop Pro X'. so, now i have 7, 9 and 10 installed

that also means you'll have to re-path all your plugins, textures, brushes, etc if you want the ones from earlier versions to show in X, at least if they're not already included in X.

umm, they added a set mark to the clone tool. so, wherever you initially right click to clone from, it now shows a ghost mark for where you set the tool. as you move around, it follows you around showing you where you're pulling from. this is ok, but i certainly didnt ask for it. and it's even a bit annoying when you use a very close set mark to where you're cloning to. i wish they'd made that optional so i could turn it off at times.

the extra selection modes arent quite where i expected to find them. they are not in the tool bar along the left, but rather in the options bar along the top. i kept thinking there was something wrong with my install when i couldnt find the point to point selection

oddly, i found myself wishing to get rid of the thumbs in the layer palette. sometimes they are handy and sometimes they are just taking up space and serving little purpose.

oh, there are also several extras on the cd, but i havent installed these yet. one is corel's photo album.

there is now a 'high pass sharpen'! this one works like a charm so far! just be aware that it's going to tend to lighten things a bit. at least, that's been my experience so far.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2005, 06:00 PM

Hi Craig,

Was browsing today some sites offering PS tutorials and bumped into this one they also have tutorials for PaintShopPro, they mention an older version but maybe you can use some of the tips there if you did not know them already

Regards - Martha
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2005, 07:25 PM

PSPuser

Craig, Ive been playing with the 30 free trial, like it really well so I'd better get it ordered.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2005, 08:15 PM

thank you, martha. most gracious

jack, i'd highly recommend this if you're still using 7. the jumps forward in 8, 9, and 10 make 7 seem pretty bland. if you're already using 9, then the move to 10 isnt quite as large. as to whether it's worth it, that's up to your own judgement.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2005, 11:00 AM

X is very very buggy and really not much new in it from 9 other than some rearranging of menu items as well as different approaches, i.e. Smart Photo Fix. If I am not using Photoshop, I turn back to PSP 9 and almost never touch 10. PS, I have been a beta tester for Jasc and now Corel since version 7, so in a position to have a semi-informed opine.

You can change the thumbnail size by dragging the little zoom icon which is not at all intuitive, but it looks like a magnifying glass on the right side of the browser. You can change the way the layer palette works by clicking the File menu, Preferences> General Preferences. In the Layers Palette options untic Right Pane.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2005, 03:29 PM

well, i wrote corel about a couple things and got a response. mostly things were just in different places or had been incorporated with other things, like the smart photo fix now has the black and white points feature.

they also told me they're working on the browse function and that it will be changed in the future. they couldnt tell me to exactly what; just that they're working on it.

i've only found one 'bug' so far and that wasnt that bad. if i open up a preset shape like 'callout' and try and use vector text on it, the program will lock up. so, ok, merge the preset shape first and all is well. so, not a biggie.

as for new features and 10 being worth the upgrade price, i'd say yes. at first i was going back and forth tween 9 and 10, but now that i've found most of the old features again in 10, i use 10 exclusively and mostly love it.

Craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software