RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Its all gone blue!

Old 10-04-2005, 09:13 AM

gary,

thank you. yes, i know you cant use an OEM version to do the recovery. it just has 'restore' which wants to re-format everything and re-install. also, i checked your links and the microsoft knowledge base one notes that xp home does have the recovery console, so, good

also, since i have the OEM version installed, how would i run the
Quote:
Start > Run, then type sfc /scannow. (there's a space between c and /)
from the cd? would i need to boot up in dos and cd to the windows disk and then run sfc /scannow? or could i use windows explorer to find the command on the cd and run it from there?

ah, the wonderful world of windows

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2005, 05:14 PM

hi Craig,

Just click on Start>Run, then type in sfc /scannow (no need to insert disc yet). The system file check programme will run (usually takes about 30 mins) and if any corrupt files are found, it will prompt you to insert your Windows XP disc. Insert disc and follow the on screen prompts.

If you know which files are corrupted, try searching your hard drive for other copies (Windows has copies of most system files), then copy them across. If you do this, you may have to register the file.

To do this click Start>Run then type Cmd, now type regsvr32 Filename (where Filename is the name of the file you wish to register. Note: space between 32 and Filename).

If successful, you will get a message confirming. If no message, file did not need registering.

hope this helps.

Gary

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 10-04-2005 at 05:31 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2005, 07:09 AM

I wish i had your number last week Gary,. I panicked and formatted, i guess its the only thing i could work out, as i had tried all possible ways i knew how.

Thanks for being here babes!

Elle
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2005, 08:57 AM

thanks gary! in actual fact, i know something of what occurred, just not exactly what it occurred to or on. win xp has this new feature on bootup that when it finds something wrong it attempts to fix it, but, if it cant fix it it will attempt to remove it, at least in the registry. and that seems to be what happened. after the crash, (it was only a crash to desktop and not a reboot crash), i actually tried the same programs again without a reboot and the machine crashed again to desktop. when i next rebooted windows took longer to come up and things had changed when it did.

this happened months ago, so this isnt fresh in my mind. but i do recall finding a log file that basically confirmed to me what the microsoft knowledge base was telling me about this new feature. some reg entries had been purposely erased on the reboot as a fix to windows and this was affecting some permissions and workability of features i'd had before but dont have now. so basically, windows, unable to cure itself, amputated part of itself. lol. ya gotta love that kind of mentality.... 'ok, i'm windows. i'm broken. i dont know what's broken even though i'm the operating system and shld know, i dont. so, we'll just remove myself'. lol. i do give microsoft credit at least for not having windows totally erase windows when it's broken ya just gotta laugh sometimes

ok, we all love to bash microsoft at times, but in actual fact, those crashes were HARD. lots of stuff went down. xp managed to keep itself running in spite of that. and like an idiot i didnt reboot but tried the same things again and again crashed the thing and xp managed to keep itself running. if this had occurred on a win98 machine i'd probably have had to re-install windows. so, i do give microsoft credit for a more robust o/s.

i do wish that we could go back to loading the o/s from a disk, however, like in the old dos days. the disk would always be the same and couldnt get corrupted with a crash. it seems somewhat silly to make an o/s so susceptible to crashes and viruses and malware and not protect itself better.

anyways, thanks for the help

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2005, 11:06 AM

You're welcome Craig.

Windows has all sorts of diagnostics and repair functions, I've only recently heard of some of them, so haven't yet had time or opportunity to investigate them fully. No doubt there's a whole lot more I'm totally unaware of.

Only found out about this one when helping a guy with some malware, and it fouled up his copy of explorer.exe in spiteful revenge for being removed. Managed to get that repaired only to find it had removed all copies of Wininet.dll from his computer as well. Had lots of fun repairing that one.

Glad things are running OK for you now.

Elle, if you have any further problems, try posting here. Can't say I'll necessarily have the answer, but might be able to point you to someone who does.

All the best.

Gary
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2005, 11:17 AM

A tip if you please, with Windows XP, make sure you are running current antivirus and system restore on at least your boot drive. As soon as you notice any irregularity, you should roll back system restore approx 2 days and then I have found the free for personal use versions of AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy invaluable. After using system restore, download adaware from www.lavasoft.de and install and update it, scan your system and remove all issues. Then download and update Spybot Search & Destroy and update it also, run it also and remove any issues (sometimes they find different things). For the most part, this will fix most hijackings etc but all is not perfect in an imperfect world.

Under Windows 98, drop to command prompt and run scanreg and restore a previous backup, preferably at least 2 days prior as usually infections/hijackings took place prior to the last shutdown. Then follow the same methodology downloading, updating and running the two programs suggested.

Usually the first sign of problems consists of windows opening uninvited and/or a banner appearing on the screen and or uninvited windows opening repeatedly in Internet Explorer and/or icons uninvited appearing on the desktop. This is by no means an exhaustive list nor comprehensive fix but maybe of use.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2005, 03:25 AM

Tip, if using AdAware or Spybot and Malware is found, let the programme clean the Malware, then always do a re-boot afterwards. If using both, do a reboot after scanning with one, then scan with the other, and reboot again.

Many infections can only be removed on reboot, because they have a process or service running which prevents the executable file from being deleted.

Failure to reboot can (and often does) result in re-infection, leading the user to believe that AdAware/Spybot cannot remove the infection they have, when had they rebooted re-infection would not have occurred.

Gary
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software