RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Its all gone blue!

Old 09-29-2005, 06:17 PM

Its all gone blue!

This is a corel painter 9 question.

Give you some history.

My pc last week was hacked, i have had to have my pc formatted completely, it was a nightmare trying to get in this forum as i forgot all my details, anyhow i had to download corel painter 9, as i do have this on a cd but i moved a few weeks ago and i cannot find the box.

So i thought i would download the corel painter 9 and use it till i found my cd.

Buts when i open it and add a picture its all blue!

Whats wrong with it?

Elle
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2005, 07:24 PM

Elle,

I read somewhere that it's a video / driver problem. Colour depth, or something like that.
I'll try and dig it up - be back soon.
Found it! According to this thread, the problem could be that you video isn't set to 24 bit (or higher) graphics.

Last edited by byRo; 09-29-2005 at 07:30 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2005, 03:01 AM

Hi Elle,

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

How were you hacked, and was it absolutely necessary to do a re-format, it's a pretty drastic step to take, often the problem can be resolved without having to take such serious action.

If you could explain, it might be able to give you advice to ensure you don't have to take this action (with all its consequent problems) again.

Gary
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2005, 06:56 PM

well...

Hi Gary and Ro

Well i may have not needed to do the format but i only know how to get out of things to do that, so stupid me lost everything 20 gigs of stuff gone! gutted really, but i dont have money to afford a technician.

I was having files appearing, that i knew i had not put there, firewall and virus scanner would not update, nor would windows,. When i checked windows update would not update all the updates i had done since oct were wiped out,. Not there, it said my windows was not the authentic version, i bought my tower and keyboard and mouse in october its installed with xp.

I tried to copy my stuff on the pc but it said all was hidden, i went into properties and it was hidden, so i tried to unhide it.

I guess it was in a mess.

The address go would not work, nor would adding words in google the starter thing would not allow me to add words.

In end i gave up, lost it all, and formatted it.

I dont think its normal yet even now.

It sticks i am told by a friend to delete windows pack 2.

I got to go bed now its almost 1am and i got work at 9am.

Night all

Elle
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2005, 02:57 AM

Hi Elle,

The original symptoms sound like a classic Malware attack. Certain Trojans block access to all sorts of sites, usually those connected with security, but others are often targetted.

If such problems occur again, post a HJT log here, and I'll go through it for you.
(I'm now a "qualified" remover at SWW).

However, I'm concerned by the fact you're still having problems after performing a re-format (which will always remove all Malware). This would tend to indicate a possible hardware problem.

Do you have a Windows XP disc, or have you got an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) recovery disc.

If you've got a genuine Windows XP disc, try the following.

Start > Run, then type sfc /scannow. (there's a space between c and /)

This will start the System File Check programme in Windows. It will check all your system files, if any are found to be corrupted, it will prompt you to load your windows disc, and then download uncorrupted files to replace those damaged.

Unfortunately if you've got an OEM disk this won't work.

There have been some problems with SP2, but none that fit with the problems you are describing. Usually they're just conflicts with certain programmes (check Microsoft's support pages for details), and most of them have been resolved.

Keep us posted if your problems persist.

Gary
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2005, 12:28 PM

i agree with gary's assessment. could be malware, but could also be a harddrive going bad, especially if you're now having trouble after the re-format.

one thing i always do any more with a re-format is to format <drive> /u . <drive> is the drive or partition you're re-formatting and the /u means 'unconditional'. the unconditional arguement assures EVERYTHING is removed from the drive/partition in the re-format. no little windows secret stores left over.

and gary, i have a question for you. i know i have some files missing or corrupted in windows. i lost my lan networking going from my xp Home machine to my win98 machine during a crash. it was definitely the crash and not a virus/malware. it also corrupted a few other things like sys info and some others. they are still there but i no longer have 'permissions', even though i edited all permissions back in in the registry. it's got something to do with a missing or corrupted wmi or one of those system things in windows. my question is, this machine is an OEM version with a restore disk. it's a valid copy but i dont want to wipe the drive and 'restore' will wipe it. i also have a full valid copy of windows on cd that i bought for another machine, but never installed it. so, it's not a registered copy on anything. it's still new. the question is, could i use the full version to repair the OEM version per the instructions you just gave Legacy? could i run the sfc /scannow with the full verion on the OEM version and have it fix those missing or corrupted files without screwing up the OEM version on that machine?

and what's the 'repair console' i've heard about that's supposed to be part of the full windows version and does it exist on the Home version of windows or only on the Pro version? and again, would this be something i could use from the full version on the OEM version?

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2005, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy~Art
This is a corel painter 9 question.

But when i open it and add a picture its all blue!
Elle:

See if this Painter preferences setting helps (see attached screenshot):

Edit > Preferences > Operating System
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Painter prefs setting.jpg (12.7 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2005, 02:29 PM

sfc / scannow

Hi Gary

That comes up clear, its the xp discs i have not the oem, i do have a oem cd for windows ME.

So in all my pc needs a complete over all?

Well i bought the pc in October, so i am still under warrantee.

In Feb i had to have an engineer here that replaced my hard drive, so its only a few month old, so this maybe the same trouble with it, as this is what it did last time, shall i do a call out and get it checked as its still under that guarantee?

Malware i have never heard of that before.

Gary you can email me if you like, it be nice to chat.

Craig i guess i need to go do a course on how to unconditional format, i was taught by a friend in london over the telephone, so i guess he never explained that to me.

I am just at a loss, as i cannot afford to take it to a place to get it sorted, i have to just plod along.

Thank you!!!

Elle
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2005, 02:30 PM

Danny!!!

Muuuuwaaaaaahhhhh!!!!

It worked i got my painter program now till i can find the cd for it!

Elle
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2005, 08:28 AM

Sorry I've been a bit slow coming back on this one.

Craig, as far as I know, you can't restore files using an OEM disc, however if you've got access to a genuine Windows disc, there should be no problem doing a sfc /scannow. It shouldn't be a problem that it's not registered to you. As far as I know, Recovery Console is available on both XP Home and XP Pro, but can't give you too much more info, as I've never had access to a genuine XP disc.

For info on Recovery using repair console or doing a Repair install, try these links.
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;307654
http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxprcons.htm
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Elle, if your hard drive is still under warranty, I'd get it checked out.

Malware is just a generic term used to describe malicious programmes downloaded to your computer (with or without your consent) that can cause a number of undesirable actions. The most obvious being, being bombarded with pop-ups, hijack of your homepage and search functions, loss of functionality of your computer (increasingly slow response), loss of access to various websites, theft of confidential information (passwords, credit card nunbers, bank details, etc).

They are usually introduced to your machine by one of two methods.
1.You download them when you download a "free" application. (Always read EULAs).
2. You download them when you've clicked on some usually inocuous link.

Once on board, many of them will download more crud from their home site, until your computer is to all intents and purposes unusable.

Most are resistant to removal, and you can do as much damage trying to remove them, if you don't know what you're doing.

I think your problem sounds more like a Hard Drive fault, as you've just done a re-format, and so unless you've gone on line without a firewall, it's highly unlikely that you would get infected again so soon.

If you PM me your e-mail address, I'd be happy to chat. (change it to replace the @ symbol with AT, as that is often trawled by bots looking for active addresses).

Gary
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software