Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Series Finder.

Old 10-11-2005, 02:45 AM
Series Finder.

I have a 37gig drive, and also a 120gig drive. I have countless photos I've taken from different cameras throughout the years. I also have tons of other crap such as mp3's, videos, etc.

Anyway, this amounts to a lot of directories to search through.

Does anyone know of a program I can find a series of JPG files?! Like a program that will find all JPG's with similar names and tell me what ones have over say 5 photos in the series?!

So if a series was named dog1.jpg, dog2.jpg, dog3.jpg, etc. It would let me know if there were over XX amount.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2005, 06:51 AM
Use your Widows search engine, using wildcards. To find all jpg files for dog, just enter dog?.jpg this would return dog1.jpg, dog2.jpg, dog3.jpg ..... etc.

?og.jpg would return dog.jpg, fog.jpg, log.jpg ....... etc.

*.jpg would return all jpg files.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2005, 07:49 AM

*4.jpg will return all the filenames with a series of 4 pictures or more
*5.jpg will return all the filenames with a series of 5 pictures or more etc.

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2005, 01:33 PM
there are also a lot of photo album'ing type programs out there. almost all the major photo players have one, HP, Kodak, Polaroid, and so on. check there websites for freebies. i have several i've collected over the years and use none of them i just use psp's file management. but album type programs shld allow you find all your pics and file extensions and arrrange them into the album how you want, without removing them from their original locations on your drives.

edit: and btw, the wildcards in gary's and camaraken's examples will also return 'dogbone', 'dogbert', 'green4', 'green5' and so on. not saying they arent handy and useful, but they do have limits.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2005, 02:50 PM
Can't do dog*.* or dog*.jpg because I wasn't looking for dog. Infact I don't know what I was looking for.

I managed to find it last night, but it was in a directory I wasn't expecting it to be and it was named something I forgot it was named.

But a program that just searches my whole hard drive for "series" could be useful. Sure I'd get all the p101001.jpg files as one series, but if I did have a series of dog it would find them quickly.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software