RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Please test new freeware selection plugin (GML CrowCut)

View Poll Results: What do you say about the GML GrowCut plugin?
Good / Very useful 3 37.50%
Ok / Somewhat useful 1 12.50%
Don't care / Not useful 0 0%
Absolute rubbish 1 12.50%
Will become useful if some things are corrected/modified 3 37.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2005, 09:01 AM

welcome to retouchpro, moroz and vadim! and thank you for your plugin.

Quote:
What is "doesn't like"?
'doesn't' is does not. it is what we call a 'contraction' in english. we put two words together and use them as one.

'like' is have affinity for. 'he doesnt like swimming.' means he has no affinity for swimming.

Quote:
Moroz, GrowCut doesn't seem to like edge boundaries.
so this means growcut works poorly with edge boundaries.

Quote:
I'm having a blast with GrowCut.
means 'i'm having a lot of fun with GrowCut.' yes, it is an english expression. slang. 'having a blast' means having a lot of fun.

'pan around' means to move the image around as if you were moving a camera around. 'pan' means to move the view around, like if you were moving a camera around. and 'around' means all over. so, 'pan around' means to move the camera view all over.

does growcut also work with other adobe compatible plugin programs? i use paint shop pro 10. will it work with that and will it work with other programs besides photoshop?

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2005, 01:02 PM

I would love to try it out guys. Is it Mac compatible?

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2005, 01:09 PM

it does not work in paint shop pro 10. it is an .8bs extension and paint shop pro wants an .8bf for plugins. it would not load in. i even tried changing the extension to .8bf and it did not work.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2005, 02:20 PM

Hi Moroz and Vadim.
Welcome to Retouchpro and Thank you for your plug-in.

I could not wait to try this so I installed is at work this afternoon (Win ME and PS5 – yes Five)
The setup program installed into a PS7 Folder by default but once I had moved it to my PS5 folder it worked fine.

I did have the same problem as Stroker the first couple of times I used it where the right mouse button seemed to be locked down. But after trying it on a couple of pictures it seemed to go right and then I could not even repeat it. So I’ll put that down to user error.

I am now on my other PC (XP PS7). The setup program worked fine.

Here are a few suggestions.

Step 1.

Once the selection is made there is no way to adjust it. Maybe a grab tool or selection handles to adjust.

Step 2.
An Eraser rather than a clear button would be good.

Step 3.
The refine Button only seems to work once. Also it needs an Undo so that you could try it with and without smoothing. (Or maybe a slider would be good)

The black squares make it difficult to see the selection on dark areas. So maybe a choice of colours for the mask. Or maybe an Invert button so that we could invert the selection to see what is selected.

The Combine Selections is Great. I didn’t expect it to work like that when I already had a selection. Great Idea.

One last thing.
I would make the instructions smaller (or get rid of them altogether). You don’t need instructions after using it once or twice and then we could have a bigger area to see the image.

This is a Great piece of software. Far better that the extract tool. And I’m sure I will use it as it is. Even if you don’t add the features above.

I used it to extract the car here. (In my second Post)

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-retouching/11813-color-help.html

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2005, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
this means growcut works poorly with edge boundaries.
Well, my English is not THAT bad (at least I hope so ) What I meant - is some more details on the edge problem. We just didn't notice any problem with that during our tests.
Quote:
means 'i'm having a lot of fun with GrowCut.' yes, it is an english expression. slang. 'having a blast' means having a lot of fun.
That's some good news
Quote:
'pan around' means to move the image around as if you were moving a camera around. 'pan' means to move the view around, like if you were moving a camera around. and 'around' means all over. so, 'pan around' means to move the camera view all over.
Like Photoshop 'hand' tool, I suppose?
Quote:
does growcut also work with other adobe compatible plugin programs? i use paint shop pro 10. will it work with that and will it work with other programs besides photoshop?
It should work Ok on any program that support Photoshop selection plugins. I'm not quite sure whether Paint Shop Pro does. It surely does support filtering plugins (.8bf), but what about selection (.8bs)? I don't know, I'll try to check...
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2005, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket1961
I would love to try it out guys. Is it Mac compatible?
Chris
Unfortunately - no. We don't have any Macs available and are not familiar with Mac programming also.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2005, 04:44 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameraken
Hi Moroz and Vadim.
Welcome to Retouchpro and Thank you for your plug-in.

Ken
Thanks a lot for positive feedback and valuable comments! I think that we will gather the feature requests and bugs found and release next verison within next week.

If you think of some more suggestions/requests - don't hesitate to share them
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2005, 06:28 PM

your english is quite good. if my russian were that good, i'd probably work as a translator

well, i tried to get this to work in psp 10 again. i first just put the .8bs in the 'Selections' folder, but that didnt work. i then tried to alter the extension again to what psp uses, which is '.PspSelection', but that didnt work either. so, i guess i'm out of luck

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2005, 07:48 PM

Craig.
While I was at work (with PS5) I noticed that it had installed into PS7 folder. I renamed it to a .8bf file and moved it to my PS5 Plug-In folder and it still worked. May be worth a try?

Moroz and Vadim

I will reserve my Vote for a later version.

One picture that we all have had problems with is this.

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-compositing/11717-help-making-selection.html

I tried GrowCut and still had problems. Although I realise that by combining selections it may be possible but I wondered if you had any suggestions on a picture like this. I know the quality is bad but these are the sort of pictures that we come across a lot.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2005, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameraken
Craig.
Moroz and Vadim

I will reserve my Vote for a later version.

One picture that we all have had problems with is this.

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-compositing/11717-help-making-selection.html

I tried GrowCut and still had problems. Although I realise that by combining selections it may be possible but I wondered if you had any suggestions on a picture like this. I know the quality is bad but these are the sort of pictures that we come across a lot.
Ken
Thanks for the example. As some people already noticed - we do not treat things like hair or thin leaves (like on this picture) adequately yet... Probably, to solve it we need to add some matting (masking) technique, not only binary (object/background) selection. We'll think it over.

Last edited by Dead Moroz; 10-16-2005 at 02:02 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software