RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Please test new freeware selection plugin (GML CrowCut)

View Poll Results: What do you say about the GML GrowCut plugin?
Good / Very useful 3 37.50%
Ok / Somewhat useful 1 12.50%
Don't care / Not useful 0 0%
Absolute rubbish 1 12.50%
Will become useful if some things are corrected/modified 3 37.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-15-2005, 09:43 AM

ken,

i tried changing the extension to an .8bf. no go; at least not in psp 10. i seriously doubt it would work in 9 or 7, but i can try it easily enough. i think this is going to be one of those PS but not PSP things.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2005, 12:20 PM

Might be interested in trying it?

Is there a version for Paint Shop Pro?

Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2005, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Conway
Might be interested in trying it?
Is there a version for Paint Shop Pro?
Steve
Paint Shop Pro (as it seems) does not support Photoshop plugins for making selections, cutouts, etc. It only works with image filtering plugins. (Am I right? Does anyone know a third-party selection plugin for PSP?)

If people are really interested in trying our plugin in PSP - we can consider make a workaround like this - make a filtering plugin that creates a mask from the image (i.e. - object is white, background is black) and then you can make a selection from this mask image by built in PSP features.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2005, 07:27 AM

Excellent plugin, so far. Do you have plans to add 16 bit support and feathered (soft) selections? The first one could be a critical improvement because, so far, I haven't seen a single selection/masking plug-in (for the Windows platform, I mean; I know of FluidMask, but so far it's only available for Mac) that does, not even Photoshop's integrated Extract tool, so you could easily get an edge there over the competition

Also, I have a question. Photoshop's Extract tool works by completely filling the foreground area, whereas Corel Knockout 2 and other third-party plugins expect you to cover both the foreground and background areas entirely. I see that GrowCut can manage quite well with just a few loose brush strokes for each, but wouldn't it benefit if the user (perhaps wanting the best possible result) painted both areas completely? If so, maybe a Fill tool would be a useful addition to your plugin.

Thanks, and keep up the good work.

Last edited by Koosla; 10-16-2005 at 07:39 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2005, 09:47 AM

I installed in CS plugin folder and it doesn't show up in Filters. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2005, 10:00 AM

dead moroz,

i'd certainly be interested in a plugin for psp. i've used psp ver. 4.12, 7, 7.02, 9, and 10 and i've never found a plugin that does selections. it wasnt until version 8 or 9 that psp even had a 'selections' folder and i'm not even real sure what's in there. psp uses an extension in there of '.PspSelection' for the few files that are in that folder, but i'm not sure what they do.

psp has gotten better with selections. the 'edit selection' function allows one to make a mask and turn it into a selection or to turn a selection into a mask, edit the mask and then turn it back into a selection, and this is a nice feature, but the tools for making automatic selections are still pretty weak. in a complex image where the background isnt that much different from the foreground and especially if the colors from one have bled over into the other, psp just doesnt do the job without going to 'edit selection'. thus, i can mask anything and turn it into a selection, but this is often a LOT of very fine hand work. anything you could do to help speed this up would be appreciated.

here's an example from another forum on retouchpro of an image that psp does NOT do well when working with something like the magic wand:

Craig

edit: the person who posted that picture wanted to remove everything but the palm trees.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trees-2.jpg (92.1 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2005, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspringer
I installed in CS plugin folder and it doesn't show up in Filters. Any suggestions?
It's a selection plugin, and therefore appears under that menu: "Select" > "GML" > "GrowCut..."
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2005, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
dead moroz,

i'd certainly be interested in a plugin for psp.
anything you could do to help speed this up would be appreciated.
I see... So PSP users might benefit much more, than PS. Got it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
here's an example from another forum on retouchpro of an image that psp does NOT do well when working with something like the magic wand:

Craig

edit: the person who posted that picture wanted to remove everything but the palm trees.
Yes, I've seen that picture, thanks - see post #20 in current thread. We still dont't have remedy for thin leaves like this. Need to think and research further
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2005, 10:51 AM

cspringer I installed in CS plugin folder and it doesn't show up in Filters. Any suggestions?

It's a selection plugin, and therefore appears under that menu: "Select" "GML" "GrowCut..."

cspringer If you are still having problems as I did see my attachment. for some reason I have a PhotoShop7 folder although I have PhotoShop.CS ..
In any event GML installed in PS7's plugin folder.. simply copy (or drag) it to the CS plugin folder and all is well...

I haven't had a chance to test it yet as I was experiencing your problem and had returned here hoping for an answer... instead I found your querry! Telling me I wasn't alone... hope this helps...

this might be an issue you developers might want to look into.
RonDon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DunnoWhy.jpg (70.1 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2005, 11:18 AM

Sorry I've taken so long getting back to this.

I have been trying to reproduce the 'hole' and the crashes that I experienced. No luck. I think what happened is that I pushed my computer a little too hard and the internals were getting funky. Looks like a reboot solved the 'hole' and the crashes.

If either of those happens again, I'll be sure to post.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software