RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Please test new freeware selection plugin (GML CrowCut)

View Poll Results: What do you say about the GML GrowCut plugin?
Good / Very useful 3 37.50%
Ok / Somewhat useful 1 12.50%
Don't care / Not useful 0 0%
Absolute rubbish 1 12.50%
Will become useful if some things are corrected/modified 3 37.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2005, 12:06 AM

Lightbulb Please test new freeware selection plugin (GML CrowCut)

Hello everyone!

For several past years there have been a lot of activity in computer vision science community (especially in microsoft research), trying to create some advanced selection and image cutout tools (instead of magic wand and magnetic lasso), but none has found its way to the user yet .

We have lately created out own technique for that :
http://graphics.cs.msu.su/en/researc...ent/index.html

and implemented it in a Adobe Photoshop selection plugin (freeware), that can be downloaded right here:
http://vision.graphicon.ru/soft/en/GrowCut/

What we are very interested in - is the feedback from Photoshop professionals and amateurs. Is the plugin in any way useful? What is good, what is bad, what should be improved?

Our plan is to develop it further, but not based on some pure scientific interest, but on the needs of the Photoshop users. So we would be grateful for any feedback on it

Last edited by Dead Moroz; 10-14-2005 at 12:11 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2005, 12:53 AM

I was reading about segmentation some time ago. Might even have been your paper.

Kudos, and wow!

Took a bit of getting used to, but I'm seriously liking it.

Two little things so far:
- seperate brush size for Eraser
- space bar to pan around
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2005, 01:53 AM

It's great for continuous selections, but I can't make it work well for discontinuous like hair with the background showing through. It made a mess of the first example. Is there a technique I'm missing?

Selections are not completely objective so the ai cannot be expected to succeed 100%. I tried GrowCut on a subjective selection, i.e. selecting a nose. It was actually a hindrance for that because there's no way to give it appropriate instructions in that situation. The image on the left is my unassisted selection; the other one is with GrowCut.

I wish the plugin followed the Photoshop keyboard conventions (ctrl-a, ctrl-d,[, etc.) and that the size of the working image were more than a little window.

In spite of all that, I can see how this will help make some selections a lot easier.

Pierre
Attached Images
File Type: jpg growcuttest-a.jpg (99.6 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg growcuttest-b.jpg (97.5 KB, 82 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2005, 02:51 AM

Panpan, maybe an analogy will help you know when GrowCut is good and when it is not so good.

Imagine an image as a petri dish. Now imagine putting 2 different kinds of bacteria in the petri dish, one red and one blue. Then the two are allowed to grow in the image petri dish using the image petri as rules for where and how they grow. After growing using the image dish, the blue bacteria will be transparent and the red bacteria will be opaque.

I hope that makes sense.

Moroz, GrowCut doesn't seem to like edge boundaries. Don't know if this can be fixed or not.

I also ran into a problem with a 'hole'. It was kind of like a winged-edge hole if you are familiar with that technology. Had to get crazy with the Boundary brush to fill it in.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2005, 03:07 AM

Thanks a lot for first comments!

Really glad to see that people here (at least two of them) find is useful

I'm a little busy right now, I'll answer questions/comments later. The second author of this plugin should join the forum shortly, he will also participate in discussion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2005, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker
Moroz, GrowCut doesn't seem to like edge boundaries. Don't know if this can be fixed or not.
What is "doesn't like"? My english fails me here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker
I also ran into a problem with a 'hole'. It was kind of like a winged-edge hole if you are familiar with that technology. Had to get crazy with the Boundary brush to fill it in.
Can you show an example image where you encountered the problem?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2005, 03:13 AM

I can't seem to reproduce the 'hole' that I had earlier.

However, I did manage to break GrowCut. Doesn't seem to like breaks in the red line.

1. Image with good line for cutting
2. Blue line along one side to make transparent
3. Red line along other side to make opaque
4. Eraser to erase a tiny bit of red to break the red line
5. Click Next
6. Crash
7. Restart Photoshop

edit:
Sorry. I'll explain the edge boundary thing later.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2005, 03:35 AM

Still can't get the 'hole'. If I can get it again, I'll be paying better attention and post details.

Edge boundary thing.

There is a default blue boundary when I get started with painting blue and red. I can try to paint the edge red, but my mouse gets very laggy if the center of the brush leaves the preview boundary. Then the mouse will behave as if I have the button down and I have to click out it. Particularly annoying with scroll bars. Probably something to do with event trapping or something. I don't know.

Okay. Now, even if I do manage to paint red at the boundaries, I still end up with a 1px edge border that is transparent even though I painted it red.

I'm having a blast with GrowCut.

That's about it from me for now.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2005, 03:50 AM

Hi everyone, i am the second creator of GrowCut. I am also here for receiving some feedback from the users.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2005, 04:12 AM

Quote:
There is a default blue boundary when I get started with painting blue and red. I can try to paint the edge red, but my mouse gets very laggy if the center of the brush leaves the preview boundary. Then the mouse will behave as if I have the button down and I have to click out it. Particularly annoying with scroll bars. Probably something to do with event trapping or something. I don't know.
Does mouse behave as if the button is still down only when you release the button over scrolls or even somewhere else? (i managed to reproduce it only when releasing it over the scrolls - and this bug will be fixed)

Quote:
Okay. Now, even if I do manage to paint red at the boundaries, I still end up with a 1px edge border that is transparent even though I painted it red.
I think we'll get rid of that 1px edge transparent border soon. And to remove the default border you must select a rectangle in the first dialog around the image (when the image is zoomed, so it is less, than the whole preview window, you can click the mouse button inside the preview window, but to the left and above the image, and to release it to the right and below the image). It is not very intuitively, so we would like to hear your proposals about this.

Quote:
However, I did manage to break GrowCut. Doesn't seem to like breaks in the red line.
Unfortunately, I didn't manage to reproduce this crash. Could you try it again and to write more details about it?

Quote:
Two little things so far:
- seperate brush size for Eraser
- space bar to pan around
Seperate brush size - ok.
And what is "pan around"?

And finally,
Quote:
I'm having a blast with GrowCut
What does it mean? (i don't know this expression) Does it mean, that you like it or quite the opposite?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software