RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

GML GrowCut 1.1 (including version for Paint Shop Pro)

Old 11-25-2005, 06:37 PM

Lightbulb GML GrowCut 1.1 (including version for Paint Shop Pro)

Hello everyone again!

Thanks once more for valuable comments on our plugin (GML GrowCut). We have prepared a new version (1.1) that actually has 4 plugins included:

1. GML GrowCut (selection plugin for PS, just like it was)
2. GML GrowCut Extract (selection plugin for PS, with interface similar to PS 'extract' operation)
3. GML GrowCut Mask (a FILTERING plugin, that produces binary mask instead of selection) - aimed for PSP users to create masks
4. GML GrowCut Mask (a FILTERING plugin, same as above, with interface similar to PS 'extract' operation)

They can be downloaded from our new Web-site (we are migrating to it):
http://research.graphicon.ru/growcut/gml-growcut.html

Please give it a try, we're waiting for you reaction We tried to consider most user requests in this new version.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2005, 08:34 PM

Hi Dead Moroz

I could install the new version beside the old one; that's good because I prefer the old interface. However I tried to install both the extract and mask versions, but only the one I installed first (extract) shows up in the menu.

This new interface is worse than the first in my opinion. We must now enclose and fill the area. The tool requires a lot more input and does not give better results.

I would prefer a bug fix of the old interface with improved keyboard shortcuts like ctrl-z for undo, mouse wheel for zoom and a toggle between draw and erase. I would also like a way to select many small areas (like hair with background showing through) and for semi-transparent selections.

Pierre
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2005, 11:27 PM

Just a second...

New version includes BOTH interfaces - "old" and "new". One is called "GrowCut" in PS menu, the second "GrowCut Extract".

So you should be able to use both interfaces if you uninstall 1.0 and install 1.1 over it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2005, 11:10 PM

dead_moroz,

thank you for including us poor psp folk!

i'm using corel's psp 10. i installed both downloads and ran the setups and they both installed ok as far as i can tell. they both show up under 'effects' in psp 10, which is where they're supposed to. so, ok; good so far.

i ran both plugins and they both seem to do the same thing. the grow cut mask produces a black and white mask of the segmented part, but grow cut extract does exactly the same thing. i thought the extract would actually extract the image. so, what's the difference here? is it just an interface difference and both are supposed to produce just the masks or is one supposed to actually extract the image to a new layer or something like that?

now, i can simply put a copy of the unmasked image under the masked one and use a blend mode to show the image i want extracted. that's fine. i think maybe i misunderstood what these were supposed to do, but i think i understand now. remember, i wasnt able to test the earlier version because it wouldnt work in psp. so, these two are the two interfaces you were talking about and they both do do the same thing. it's just an interface, how you get there, thing as to why there are two plugins. so, ok, if that's the case, then this is working fine.

and, i'm impressed. this is pretty slick (cool, good, great, neat, fine). i also now understand why you call it 'grow cut'.

i will play with this some more and get a little better at it before giving you my impressions.

but again, thank you for making this available to us psp folks!

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2005, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
dead_moroz,
thank you for including us poor psp folk!

Quote:
i ran both plugins and they both seem to do the same thing. the grow cut mask produces a black and white mask of the segmented part, but grow cut extract does exactly the same thing. i thought the extract would actually extract the image. so, what's the difference here? is it just an interface difference and both are supposed to produce just the masks or is one supposed to actually extract the image to a new layer or something like that?
You're right - the only difference is the GUI (so far). It is just the same as Photoshops "Extract" thingy in "GrowCut Extract" version.
Quote:
and, i'm impressed. this is pretty slick (cool, good, great, neat, fine). i also now understand why you call it 'grow cut'.
Thanks I hope it'll be useful to you and others.
Quote:
i will play with this some more and get a little better at it before giving you my impressions.
All right, please do!
Quote:
but again, thank you for making this available to us psp folks!
By the way, its up to "psp folks" to suggest us whether there is a more convinient way to create masks from images. Because what we do now - is just replace the image with binary mask. Maybe you can suggest some way that is more comfortable to the user?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2005, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panpan
Hi Dead Moroz
I would prefer a bug fix of the old interface with improved keyboard shortcuts like ctrl-z for undo, mouse wheel for zoom and a toggle between draw and erase. I would also like a way to select many small areas (like hair with background showing through) and for semi-transparent selections.
Pierre
Actually we've done some bug fix of the "old" interface in GML GrowCut 1.1 and added several requests from people here (like pan with space). Maybe you know some bugs that we don't?

Regarding the 'undo' - what actions would you like to have oppotunity to undo in the first place?

We'll put your other requests (mouse wheel, toggle draw/erase) in our pending feature requests list. BTW - how would you like to toggle draw/erase? By some keyboard key?

Regarding hair, background showing through and semi-transparent selections - this needs algorithm modification and further research... It will take time, we are already thinking about it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2005, 04:24 AM

dead_moroz,

well, what i originally thought your product was, was an extraction tool, one that would actually select an object and then extract it as a new image to a new layer. so, at first, when using it, i thought either i was doing something wrong or that the product was buggy in psp. i see now that's not the case.

i'm also not sure it's working right in psp 10. the reason i say this is that what i get is a black and white image from the original, as if it were a mask, but it doesnt act like a mask. it acts like a black and white image with no mask. the white is in the shape of the area selected, but it seems to be just a regular white image area and not a mask area.

now, that does make it easier to select this new black and white image and make a mask from it with the magic wand or by simply making a copy of the original and putting it under the black and white and then using a blend mode, but it really doesnt seem to be a mask.

am i reading this right? was this how it was intended? and would it be possible to, when you've got the object selected in grow cut, to simply pull it directly as a new image or as a new image on a new layer and not even bother with making a mask if desired as an option?

Craig

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2005, 05:31 AM

I'm using PSP 9 and my findings and thoughts are basically the same as Craig's above. In my opinion it would be far more useful to have the result extracted as a new image or on a new layer of the original image it was obtained from rather than converting it to a binary black and white image, that then has to be turned into a mask.

I don't want to sound unappreciative, thanks for thinking about the PSPers but unless I am missing something, this seems to add a lot of unnecessary steps to extracting a selection from an image. And I may be missing the point of the whole thing, I am prone to do that at times! At present I fail to see any advantage over using the smart edge or edge finder settings in the freehand selection tool of PSP to directly select the part of an image I want to extract.

However I can see a great use for this in creating a silhouette identification image for group portraits and such.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2005, 07:20 AM

Hi Dead Moroz

I downloaded
GrowCutMaskSetup1_1.exe
GrowCutSetup1_1.exe

And ran the install OK

First thoughts

1. GrowCut Extract
Very Similar to Photoshop Extract
Very Nice. But as Pierre mentioned, you now have to paint right round the area
Full screen is better. The image is bigger
The ‘With Smoothing’ – I can’t get this button to work?

It does work better than PS Extract and the extracted area comes back as a selection, which I prefer to PS Extract.

2. GrowCut
Step 3 Refine Border Still seems to only work once
I still prefer this version (ie. The way it works) but I would like to see this full screen as GrowCut Extract
After using this several times I am wondering if three steps are necessary. Step 1 seems a little unnecessary and steps 2 and 3 could perhaps be combined into one screen.

I’m not sure which direction you are trying to go in here. You have developed two very similar programs with two different interfaces, and two different methods of making the selection. Perhaps if the two programs were merged into one product. Use a screen similar to Growcut Extract but with the selection method of Growcut.
Or perhaps a checkbox to swap between the two different extract methods.

3. GrowCut Mask Extract
Working OK – I will try to think of some uses for this.

4. GrowCut Mask
Same problem as GrowCut. ie the refine border only works once.

Craig and Garazon. PSP version.
In the PS version there are FOUR programs

2. GML GrowCut Extract (selection plugin for PS, with interface similar to PS 'extract' operation)
3. GML GrowCut Mask (a FILTERING plugin, that produces binary mask instead of selection) - aimed for PSP users to create masks
4. GML GrowCut Mask (a FILTERING plugin, same as above, with interface similar to PS 'extract' operation)

It seems that in the PSP version you only have the masks (3 and 4). These work in PS as you describe. Can you not copy and paste this into a layer mask?

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2005, 08:01 AM

Hi Ken,

Quote:
In the PS version there are FOUR programs

It seems that in the PSP version you only have the masks (3 and 4). These work in PS as you describe. Can you not copy and paste this into a layer mask?
Yes it's easy enough to convert the image produced to mask layer.
It's just that in my opinion to have to go through all these extra steps just increases the workload simply to extract a selection from an image.
I don't have PS but in PSP if you open an image, run the script, it converts the original image itself to a balck/white image. Then you have to open the image again paste it as another layer,etc. It should be possible to extract the black/white image to an additional layer instead of converting the original to b/w.
Of course if you duplicate the original and run the script on the copied layer, that solves that problem.

Basically, although I like the interface and the way it works(once some modifications are fixed, like the refine border working a little better), but using this as an extraction tool in PSP just isn't practical, at least for my purposes.
However I do applaud the efforts made to make what looks like a great plugin available to those of us who use PSP
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Software